The protests threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
The whole situation is just ugly. It's infuriating on all sides. Don't mistake silence for not caring.. it's just hard to speak up when you're not black or an apologist. I'm neither. IMO disagreeing over message boards doesn't help. Love all my brothers.

Advertisement
I avoid social media - IG, FB, Twitter - like the plague for the same reasons @DMoney mentioned in his post. Social media has become a cesspool for derision and division and has contributed greatly to the divide we see in this country today. Sure, there is some decent content on those platforms, but for the most part, they have become a major influence in sowing discourse amongst us all.

I appreciated the Covid forum because it gave me an opportunity to discuss the issue with my Cane brothers and gather a lot of important information without having to navigate the cesspool of social media and the MSM. We didn't always see eye to eye, but with a few exceptions, the conversations were civil and informative.

It's inevitable the hot topics of the day will turn political. Even Canes football discussions sometimes lead to political viewpoints. One thing is undeniable, except for a few trolls that @RVACane so astutely obliterates, we all have one thing in common - we're all Canes and that alone can be the common denominator that brings us together and creates some harmony to face the challenges that lie ahead.

The whole situation is just ugly. It's infuriating on all sides. Don't mistake silence for not caring.. it's just hard to speak up when you're not black or an apologist. I'm neither. IMO disagreeing over message boards doesn't help. Love all my brothers.

So, non-blacks who support improvements and reforms are "apologists"?

How about "acknowledgists"? People who acknowledge that there have been centuries worth of unequal treatment, discriminatory laws, and disparate treatment/enforcement.

Why is it that some people (not you, of course) see the words "apology" or "admitting mistake" (even if it wasn't YOUR mistake) as some sort of threat against their masculinity?

No, I think you are correct. Studies have shown that there are fewer "true independents", and that many more people have become "hardened" around either a right-leaning or left-leaning ideology, regardless of whether they have an actual party identification on a voter ID card.

In addition, the rise of right-leaning, and, to a lesser extent, left-leaning (which some would argue have been around longer, so it's not a "rise") media outlets enables an echo chamber, allowing people to hear self-justifying news/opinion all day long, thus creating confirmation bias.

Again, the point is NOT whether "leaning right" or "leaning left" is better or correct, it's just an indication that more people are already "set" in their viewpoints, regardless of debate, and thus party ideology DOES become a big part of their personal identity. That's a much more recent phenomenon, something that was
I generally agree.

There are, however, a large number of people who aren't interested in the ad-hoc grab bag of policies, pronouncements, and pet causes of the wider Dem and Rep platforms and bases. The basis for non-partisanship may be due to focus on a singular issue or a broader philosophical disagreement. Nonetheless, many of these non-partisans will still vote (often in ways that would surprise others). I don't vote often, but when I do, people are often surprised by why I've chosen a particular race/candidate.

My point is not that "oh if you're a Republican, you cannot be a Canes fan". **** the Dems too. It is all the same trash.

My point is that I find it highly contradictory that someone can support Trump (an unabashed racist/fascist) and MAGA/All Lives Matter and then purport to be a Canes fan, especially when out of all the colleges in CFB, this one emphasised black culture the most.

Why do you think most of the country hated/hates us? Being good was one part but I promise you it was more because they saw us as "jumped up, rowdy, noisy, aggressive black folk"

Before anyone dares challenge the Trump is a racist/fascist, he called ***** "very fine people", banned people of a specific religion entering the country and routinely refers to black people as lower citizens.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've been deleting them. Don't blame any other mods. It's me.

I struggled with doing it because this is such a critical issue, but ultimately it came down to this: there's a reason I got rid of the off-topic board years ago. This board is just not designed for that type of discussion. It inevitably degenerates into a cesspool. If anyone visits the current WestEndZone, they will understand what I'm talking about.

Like everyone else, I have views on the topic and am not afraid to share them. I believe blacks have been oppressed for over 400 years, and that it continues today. I believe George Floyd was the victim of a race-related murder. I believe the #AllLivesMatter movement is meaningless at best, racist at worst. I believe it is hypocrital to celebrate the Canes for embracing black culture and then ignore black suffering. I believe police unions and public unions in general are a huge problem. I believe white Marxists have highjacked the protests and used it as an excuse to loot Hot Topic. I believe the media has disgraced itself for the past three months. I believe that despite all of these issues, we still live on the greatest country on Earth by a mile.

I'm happy to go back and forth with anyone on PM about these issues because they are important. I just don't want this board to resemble the worst parts of Facebook or Twitter.
How dare you speak of the WEZS like that? What are you floating above the rest of us?

I generally agree.

There are, however, a large number of people who aren't interested in the ad-hoc grab bag of policies, pronouncements, and pet causes of the wider Dem and Rep platforms and bases. The basis for non-partisanship may be due to focus on a singular issue or a broader philosophical disagreement. Nonetheless, many of these non-partisans will still vote (often in ways that would surprise others). I don't vote often, but when I do, people are often surprised by why I've chosen a particular race/candidate.

I completely agree.

I am just pointing out the stats, that there are fewer "truly" independent voters today. Not saying that they've disappeared, just that there has been a rise in partisanship, generally.

I avoid social media - IG, FB, Twitter - like the plague for the same reasons @DMoney mentioned in his post. Social media has become a cesspool for derision and division and has contributed greatly to the divide we see in this country today. Sure, there is some decent content on those platforms, but for the most part, they have become a major influence in sowing discourse amongst us all.

I appreciated the Covid forum because it gave me an opportunity to discuss the issue with my Cane brothers and gather a lot of important information without having to navigate the cesspool of social media and the MSM. We didn't always see eye to eye, but with a few exceptions, the conversations were civil and informative.

It's inevitable the hot topics of the day will turn political. Even Canes football discussions sometimes lead to political viewpoints. One thing is undeniable, except for a few trolls that @RVACane so astutely obliterates, we all have one thing in common - we're all Canes and that alone can be the common denominator that brings us together and creates some harmony to face the challenges that lie ahead.
Social media is a cancer to society. It will only continue to get worse with each generation more dependent and fixated on it.

Advertisement
@LuCane I hope you don't think I believe that he's actually being paid $6/hr...

I avoid social media - IG, FB, Twitter - like the plague for the same reasons @DMoney mentioned in his post. Social media has become a cesspool for derision and division and has contributed greatly to the divide we see in this country today.
All you need is to read the MJ vs Lebron debates. But, seriously, social media has this immense potential to be a great value to society, IMO.

Exhibit A:

Screen Shot 2020-06-03 at 2.30.58 PM.png

Advertisement
Well I’m still proud of our coaches and players even though that thread was deleted.

I understand why, things are volatile right now and all it takes is 1 racist, insensitive comment to send those threads spiraling out of control. Probably a good call by D.

My point is not that "oh if you're a Republican, you cannot be a Canes fan". **** the Dems too. It is all the same trash.

My point is that I find it highly contradictory that someone can support Trump (an unabashed racist/fascist) and MAGA/All Lives Matter and then purport to be a Canes fan, especially when out of all the colleges in CFB, this one emphasised black culture the most.

Why do you think most of the country hated/hates us? Being good was one part but I promise you it was more because they saw us as "jumped up, rowdy, noisy, aggressive black folk"

Before anyone dares challenge the Trump is a racist/fascist, he called ***** "very fine people", banned people of a specific religion entering the country and routinely refers to black people as lower citizens.

Pretty much your entire post is on-point... But I do question your "it's all the same trash" argument. There's plenty of problems with Democratic party politics, but they haven't lined up in lockstep behind an authoritarian figure the way Republicans have, and that alone gives them the moral high ground in my mind. There are certainly plenty of garbage Dems, but you can't call them all "the same trash." (Just my two cents, no worries if you ain't feeling it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back