The protests threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
This is what I and others like @Liberty City El have been screaming. It makes no sense.

No other team in CFB history embraced black culture like the Miami teams of the 80s/90s. So then how do we get certain political views on here???

Cognitive dissonance.

I would just point out, you have a dozen programs in the SEC that fill their stands with (predominantly) white fans, yet have a plantation mentality.

I think the Miami TEAM embraced black culture in the 80s/90s. I think most of the fans in the stands, including the students, embraced black culture in the 80s/90s. But I think there were a lot of people who may have been fans of UM through the medium of the TV who may have embraced Miami being "the bad guy", but who have never embraced all of the elements of those teams of the 80s/90s.

Good lord, just the fact that the Miami teams of the 80s/90s DANCED...and CELEBRATED...that was one of the primary reasons we were hated so much. Oklahoma won a lot. Nebraska won a lot. But those teams were not hated the way that Miami was hated.

Oh, and we wore camouflage once. And gold jewelry. But if someone was watching us on TV, they may not have had the full impact of all of that, from going to class with guys like Michael Irvin and Randall Hill, from getting to know those guys in real life, and not just for 3 hours once a week.

Finally, there are plenty of people with "certain political views" who convince themselves that they aren't racist or don't enjoy privilege BECAUSE they like the Hurricanes. ****, I met people at UM who had some extremely racist viewpoints, but they still loved the alma mater's sports teams.

I've been deleting them. Don't blame any other mods. It's me.

I struggled with doing it because this is such a critical issue, but ultimately it came down to this: there's a reason I got rid of the off-topic board years ago. This board is just not designed for that type of discussion. It inevitably degenerates into a cesspool. If anyone visits the current WestEndZone, they will understand what I'm talking about.

Like everyone else, I have views on the topic and am not afraid to share them. I believe blacks have been oppressed for over 400 years, and that it continues today. I believe George Floyd was the victim of a race-related murder. I believe the #AllLivesMatter movement is meaningless at best, racist at worst. I believe it is hypocrital to celebrate the Canes for embracing black culture and then ignore black suffering. I believe police unions and public unions in general are a huge problem. I believe white Marxists have highjacked the protests and used it as an excuse to loot Hot Topic. I believe the media has disgraced itself for the past three months. I believe that despite all of these issues, we still live on the greatest country on Earth by a mile.

I'm happy to go back and forth with anyone on PM about these issues because they are important. I just don't want this board to resemble the worst parts of Facebook or Twitter.

Because you can cherish black culture without voting democrat. How do I so confidently state that? Because I am one of those people.

I don't think they are talking about just "voting democrat". I believe they are talking about the people who feel compelled to scream "all lives matter" every time someone says "black lives matter".

I've been deleting them. Don't blame any other mods. It's me.

I struggled with doing it because this is such a critical issue, but ultimately it came down to this: there's a reason I got rid of the off-topic board years ago. This board is just not designed for that type of discussion. It inevitably degenerates into a cesspool. If anyone visits the current WestEndZone, they will understand what I'm talking about.

Like everyone else, I have views on the topic and am not afraid to share them. I believe blacks have been oppressed for over 400 years, and that it continues today. I believe George Floyd was the victim of a race-related murder. I believe the #AllLivesMatter movement is meaningless at best, racist at worst. I believe it is hypocrital to celebrate the Canes for embracing black culture and then ignore black suffering. I believe police unions and public unions in general are a huge problem. I believe white Marxists have highjacked the protests and used it as an excuse to loot Hot Topic. I believe the media has disgraced itself for the past three months. I believe that despite all of these issues, we still live on the greatest country on Earth by a mile.

I'm happy to go back and forth with anyone on PM about these issues because they are important. I just don't want this board to resemble the worst parts of Facebook or Twitter.
Excellent decision, DMoney. Same with shutting COVID down at the end of the month. Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciated you all allowing that forum. But, unquestionably, topics like these heavy ones ultimately divide people into camps based on what they don't share in common, when the whole reason every one of us is here is because of something very important to us we DO share in common. So let's get back on that page. There are 1,000,000 other places on the interwebz where people can go argue about those others topics if that's their desire.

I think you guys in the CIS War Room have handled these last few months really well. I commend you for that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is a hurricane sports message board. I frequent this board BECAUSE I need an escape from the "real world". The last thing I want is to hear someone's political views, their opinions on race, how much money they're making in the stock market....all that bull****. There are infinite mediums to share all your views on all of the above topics, and more. This one should be for talking ball. Period. Start a podcast no one will listen to if you're so interested in sharing your political or civil views with people. But this ain't it.

I believe white Marxists have highjacked the protests and used it as an excuse to loot Hot Topic.

I laughed out loud at this and appreciate the effort to bring a bit of levity to a very serious topic.

And if any store deserves to be looted out of existence, it's Hot Topic. They've been allowed to exist as a haven for posers for far too long!

image-asset.png

Advertisement
I don't think they are talking about just "voting democrat". I believe they are talking about the people who feel compelled to scream "all lives matter" every time someone says "black lives matter".
Oh, ok. Appreciate your post. I wrote my response solely to the term "political views". Thought that was a DNC vs GOP thing. I haven't been on the forum much the last week and wasn't involved in any of the discussions this thread is about. My apologies for misunderstanding what you meant, @hiphopanimal.

Advertisement
Oh, ok. I wrote my response solely to the term "political views". Thought that was a DNC vs GOP thing. I haven't been on the forum much the last week and wasn't involved in any of the discussions this thread is about. My apologies for misunderstanding what you meant, @hiphopanimal.

It's all good. There's a difference between having thoughts about society, generally, and the constant espousal of voting for one particular party over another.

Some people just oversimplify and call it all "politics". That may not be the best or most accurate label.

Many, many people have stood up and called for better treatment and more equality for people of color, without advocating for any political party.

Because you can cherish black culture without being a democrat. Those are not at all one and the same. How do I so confidently state that? Because I am one of those people.

Sorry, I should have clarified - Political view in this instance refers to support for the Fascist-in-Chief.

Democrats are trash too. Let's not get it twisted.

Advertisement
I’ve largely avoided this forum and Twitter ever since this all went down a week ago. Sounds like I made the right call given numerous threads were deleted.

Who was banned and can i find the reasons in Post #2 @RVACane
It’s not in Post #2 because I don’t think these guys belong there. Who they are starts here and then D$ chimes in with an explanation as he did the banning. I just relayed why happened in advance of the questions that I knew would come up. I like the guys who were banned:

This is a simplification of what happened and why these posters were band. I don’t expect anyone to share my/our perspective, but we’re pretty gracious about people sharing their beliefs. The problem usually stems from posters who have no interest in reciprocating that grace. Politics can be discussed, but isn’t a political forum. The issue isn’t sharing your beliefs, it’s making the thread *about your beliefs*, rather than the intersection of both topics with some level of respect for those with opposing views.

561, I don’t think I’ve ever seen you go wild in any way like the band posters did.

I don't agree Politics can't be discussed here, we are way passed that point. It's the worst I've ever seen in my 61 years of life it started building years ago. We are so far apart it isn't worth talking about anymore. Much, much worse than the race issues which many of us don't have. The cop should be executed for what he did, not one doubt about it.

Inday you're one of my favorite mods for a couple reasons, you just delete out of control threads, I personally like that and you're funny. Some ban people and let others off with nothing, that's BS. I'm about 90% on my way of leaving this site along with others because of the politics that have turned this place into a cesspool. It should have stopped on day one. That's why I left the WEZ. I've said it many times there is only one way to solve the politic problem and talking about it here is not it.

Most of us don't have a race problem, so it's easy to talk about. So many things need to be change to fix things, common sense things need to be done. Chances are they won't be so this BS will drag on until people are honest about it and make changes to the entire system.

But trying to talk politics here is a big no Go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back