The protests threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Glad this happened because the board was designed to be "like going to a sports bar to talk about sports." Surely, other things come up and have for a long time. For the most part, we've taken a relatively hands-off approach to reasonable off topic posts and threads. I think it's only natural, like in a Sports bar, we allow some of that discussion to be infused into what should be general sports-related (if not Canes-related) topics. So, there's the big difference: infused into vs making this board about something else.

To get my view in here before this gets locked, I wish what is being reported and discussed would transition to next steps: what are the next steps I can take to shake up "the system?" Let's start in our own neighborhoods. Pick a kid, even. I've invited countless white and latino professionals to join me at schools and parks serving predominantly black populations. You want to help fight oppression directly? Help equip our youth with skills that can transfer across contexts - the football player with evolving communication and reasoning skills becomes a difference maker beyond the field. The kid focused on his music who learns to regulate his emotions becomes a powerful voice for all injustice.

There's so much to be said, but it becomes frustrating to deal with some fake outrage in the face of so much f'in work that needs to be done. Actual work in our own backwards. Also, just to be clear, if you do stand up to work with these populations, always whisper "the canes are the best" as early as Kinder or 1st grade.

This is what I and others like @Liberty City El have been screaming. It makes no sense.

No other team in CFB history embraced black culture like the Miami teams of the 80s/90s. So then how do we get certain political views on here???

Cognitive dissonance.

''So then how do we get certain political views on here???''

Why do you have too? Black cultural views are great and should be talked about.

Advertisement
Glad this happened because the board was designed to be "like going to a sports bar to talk about sports." Surely, other things come up and have for a long time. For the most part, we've taken a relatively hands-off approach to reasonable off topic posts and threads. I think it's only natural, like in a Sports bar, we allow some of that discussion to be infused into what should be general sports-related (if not Canes-related) topics. So, there's the big difference: infused into vs making this board about something else.

To get my view in here before this gets locked, I wish what is being reported and discussed would transition to next steps: what are the next steps I can take to shake up "the system?" Let's start in our own neighborhoods. Pick a kid, even. I've invited countless white and latino professionals to join me at schools and parks serving predominantly black populations. You want to help fight oppression directly? Help equip our youth with skills that can transfer across contexts - the football player with evolving communication and reasoning skills becomes a difference maker beyond the field. The kid focused on his music who learns to regulate his emotions becomes a powerful voice for all injustice.

There's so much to be said, but it becomes frustrating to deal with some fake outrage in the face of so much f'in work that needs to be done. Actual work in our own backwards. Also, just to be clear, if you do stand up to work with these populations, always whisper "the canes are the best" as early as Kinder or 1st grade
No doubt...

Dmoney..The threads start out civilized then it gets ruined by some race baiting idiot with extreme far right views to spark a response from ole school posters like me who wont stand for it. We should just ignore those posters because they are just trolling and trying to get a rise out of posters but when mofos start posting graphs and charts showing statistics that white people get killed by black people WAY more than any other demographic that's where I have to draw the line on my silence.

That said, great post by yourself.

Advertisement
Would you be opposed to have a zero tolerance "Current Events" type of board...not quite off-topic...but similar to the COVID board, a place to discuss non-sports related current events topics or things that a bit all too important to simply ignore. Having a forum to discuss topics of local (South Florida) importance has a place, IMO.

I do understand the difficulty in monitoring that and moderating that though.

Thoughts?

It's all good. There's a difference between having thoughts about society, generally, and the constant espousal of voting for one particular party over another.

Some people just oversimplify and call it all "politics". That may not be the best or most accurate label.

Many, many people have stood up and called for better treatment and more equality for people of color, without advocating for any political party.
Well said. It's really strange to me (and concerning) how in recent times which party one votes for has literally become part of their personal identity. It's as if political beliefs have become cultural. Or maybe that's always how it's been and I just didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger.

I laughed out loud at this and appreciate the effort to bring a bit of levity to a very serious topic.

And if any store deserves to be looted out of existence, it's Hot Topic. They've been allowed to exist as a haven for posers for far too long!
It is in competition for my favorite line in board history @DMoney

Advertisement
Would you be opposed to have a zero tolerance "Current Events" type of board...not quite off-topic...but similar to the COVID board, a place to discuss non-sports related current events topics or things that a bit all too important to simply ignore. Having a forum to discuss topics of local (South Florida) importance has a place, IMO.

I do understand the difficulty in monitoring that and moderating that though.

Thoughts?

I've thought about a sports board, although those threads often pop up as OT on the football board.

Would people be interested in that kind of forum?

Well said. It's really strange to me (and concerning) how in recent times which party one votes for has literally become part of their personal identity. It's as if political beliefs have become cultural. Or maybe that's always how it's been and I just didn't appreciate it as much when I was younger.

No, I think you are correct. Studies have shown that there are fewer "true independents", and that many more people have become "hardened" around either a right-leaning or left-leaning ideology, regardless of whether they have an actual party identification on a voter ID card.

In addition, the rise of right-leaning, and, to a lesser extent, left-leaning (which some would argue have been around longer, so it's not a "rise") media outlets enables an echo chamber, allowing people to hear self-justifying news/opinion all day long, thus creating confirmation bias.

Again, the point is NOT whether "leaning right" or "leaning left" is better or correct, it's just an indication that more people are already "set" in their viewpoints, regardless of debate, and thus party ideology DOES become a big part of their personal identity. That's a much more recent phenomenon, something that was

Advertisement
I've thought about a sports board, although those threads often pop up as OT on the football board.

Not sure if it would be a great forum or a total disaster, but it would certainly cut down on the passive-aggressive "OT" politics-but-not-really-politics threads on the football board.

I don't agree Politics can't be discussed here, we are way passed that point. It's the worst I've ever seen in my 61 years of life it started building years ago. We are so far apart it isn't worth talking about anymore. Much, much worse than the race issues which many of us don't have. The cop should be executed for what he did, not one doubt about it.

Inday you're one of my favorite mods for a couple reasons, you just delete out of control threads, I personally like that and you're funny. Some ban people and let others off with nothing, that's BS. I'm about 90% on my way of leaving this site along with others because of the politics that have turned this place into a cesspool. It should have stopped on day one. That's why I left the WEZ. I've said it many times there is only one way to solve the politic problem and talking about it here is not it.

Most of us don't have a race problem, so it's easy to talk about. So many things need to be change to fix things, common sense things need to be done. Chances are they won't be so this BS will drag on until people are honest about it and make changes to the entire system.

But trying to talk politics here is a big no Go.
Stick around, friend. Dawn approaches. The long night has almost passed.

Not in my opinion. Plenty of other places for that type of iteration though if your heart so desires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back