Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
I am going to stick up for @Liberty City El now and write a 25000 word essay because one user in particular has been posting some very very weird nonsense and I highly dislike that, so I will just going to "respond" to this.

Before I start off, I consider this post a waste of time before I have finished it. The fact that I am literally sitting here writing this before I start off should demonstrate how stupid the talking point is in the first place. Sounds good? K.

There are several potential reasons why Kevin Steele was not hired by a bigger program. I am just going to list them and explain them so that even the dumbest mofos in theory should be able to understand the kind of point that I am trying to make.

1. Top teams really didnt have too many coordinating jobs open. I dont feel like this needs much explanation. There werent too many top programs who let their coordinators go. Thats just it. If you dont have a job open, you cant hire someone for that job, thats fairly simple.

2. Kevin Steele is 63. While the argument that you shouldnt hire elderly coaches is mindblowingly stupid, especially when shown that their recent results have been excellent, most teams actually opt to go for the younger guy because they tend to be more energetic and think about their future as potential head coaches. Pete Golding was 35 when he got promoted to defensive coordinator at Alabama.

3. Top teams love to hire from within. The reason for that is usually their coordinators do fairly well and then get hired away to be a HC somewhere else, but they still want to keep system and terminology. Thats why Clemson hired the guy from within, thats why Alabama hired the guy from within and thats why Auburn hired the guy from within when they made Rhett Lashlee their playcaller because Malzahn couldnt handle it. Teams do prioritize familiarity with the system they are running if the system works really well. The only team who might not have had that was Ohio State and they paid Jim Knowles 1.9 million dollars. We gave his defense a good licking in 2017 and in the Bowl Game in 2020, so theres that.

4. Kevin Steele is an enigma. There is just no other way to put it, but Kendal Briles might be suffering from the same issue in the future of his career. He wanted the HC job at Auburn and got passed over. He wasnt fired, he left on his own terms after he was passed over. Then he got hired at Tennessee during the time where Tennessee was in the midst of their recruiting violation period and Pruitt was let go about eight days after. He was put in as the interim HC and again got passed over because Tennessee hired Heupel as a replacement. Thats when Heupel decided not to retain him, probably mutually and at that point, he simply remained there to collect his money and left in March. I would argue, after getting passed over twice, Steele was done with 2021 football-wise and took a year off to collect himself. Fairly reasonable thing to do, hello Sean Payton.

5. The issue with taking a year off is whether or not you get hired again. Combined with the fact that you are in your mid 60s and seemingly not the most well-liked guy in coaching circles, that kinda makes hiring you not the easiest thing in the world. Especially when you, probably, expect big time programs to knock at your door, but as I expressed in points 1, 2 and 3, that does not have to happen. @JayCane20 already alluded to this, and I am sure no one knew if Steele was actually ready to start coaching again.

6. Let me be absolutely clear: Just because someone is coaching at a lower-tier program does not mean that he sucks. Its extremely disrespectful and borderline stupid to even have this thought process, as there are several position coaches and coordinators who are doing a really well job despite being at a program that is not the most well known. Jason Candle is a brilliant example of this. Zach Kittley is an even better example of this, because he went to ******* Western Kentucky to post a top 10 offense in F+.

And now for my final analysis and some form of advice for everyone in here: If you are discussing with someone who has written a very solid amount of posts whilst having a reaction score-post-ratio that is far below 1, you might need to realize that the person that you responding too is writing stupid **** at a fairly consistent rate. I like to call these people "Dunning Kruger", named after the equally named cognitive bias where people with low ability think they are the smartest guy in the room, when in reality, everyone in that room looks at them as if they are the biggest morons they have ever seen.

Thanks for my TED talk and please stop giving him more attention. I gave him enough for three weeks to chew on.

I said idc if we missed on 15 coaches. people seem to get offended if you even claim we missed out on guy a or b. who cares if the hire is good. the only annoyance (and this is kinda entertaining bc it really doenst make a diff in our lives) is that it took so long. in the end, Steele is a good hire and even if he turns out horrible, this isn't a long term dc. hes not sticking around forever with Mario. you can easily correct course, but im w you on letting the results play out there. now for O, if we end up ponce **** that **** lmao.
Yeah for sure I’m all for taking your time to make the right decision but same time it was strange how long it took. Really difficult to understand that part for me

But end of the day if that’s his process and it works out…then it’s all good

The OC position is definitely the one I’m most interested in as well. We’ve got a legit Heisman candidate for the first time in forever

Yeah for sure I’m all for taking your time to make the right decision but same time it was strange how long it took. Really difficult to understand that part for me

But end of the day if that’s his process and it works out…then it’s all good

The OC position is definitely the one I’m most interested in as well. We’ve got a legit Heisman candidate for the first time in forever
I want Steele type experience as oC. I was more invested in that hire bc we have a year left of TVD. also, I want to know if the OC can identify QB talent. we saw with Enos **** *** still identified TVD, Garcia was identified and recruited by both OCs, and Brown was all Lashlee early on.

Geez, who cares if Steele was number 15 on Mario's short list?
Our history shows most of our HC and assistant coaches were deep in the candidate list, and this includes Lou Saban, Schnellenberger, and Butch...the one exception I think of is Dennis Erickson and in that situation we were on top of the college fb world, alongside NLame.
It also didn't hurt that we had an AD who had close ties to the Erickson and Lubick family...heck, even Pete Carroll was a Plan B hire for USC, who actually wanted Erickson over him....we have some weirdo fans, they should be following an NFL team or something.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am going to stick up for @Liberty City El now and write a 25000 word essay because one user in particular has been posting some very very weird nonsense and I highly dislike that, so I will just going to "respond" to this.

Before I start off, I consider this post a waste of time before I have finished it. The fact that I am literally sitting here writing this before I start off should demonstrate how stupid the talking point is in the first place. Sounds good? K.

There are several potential reasons why Kevin Steele was not hired by a bigger program. I am just going to list them and explain them so that even the dumbest mofos in theory should be able to understand the kind of point that I am trying to make.

1. Top teams really didnt have too many coordinating jobs open. I dont feel like this needs much explanation. There werent too many top programs who let their coordinators go. Thats just it. If you dont have a job open, you cant hire someone for that job, thats fairly simple.

2. Kevin Steele is 63. While the argument that you shouldnt hire elderly coaches is mindblowingly stupid, especially when shown that their recent results have been excellent, most teams actually opt to go for the younger guy because they tend to be more energetic and think about their future as potential head coaches. Pete Golding was 35 when he got promoted to defensive coordinator at Alabama.

3. Top teams love to hire from within. The reason for that is usually their coordinators do fairly well and then get hired away to be a HC somewhere else, but they still want to keep system and terminology. Thats why Clemson hired the guy from within, thats why Alabama hired the guy from within and thats why Auburn hired the guy from within when they made Rhett Lashlee their playcaller because Malzahn couldnt handle it. Teams do prioritize familiarity with the system they are running if the system works really well. The only team who might not have had that was Ohio State and they paid Jim Knowles 1.9 million dollars. We gave his defense a good licking in 2017 and in the Bowl Game in 2020, so theres that.

4. Kevin Steele is an enigma. There is just no other way to put it, but Kendal Briles might be suffering from the same issue in the future of his career. He wanted the HC job at Auburn and got passed over. He wasnt fired, he left on his own terms after he was passed over. Then he got hired at Tennessee during the time where Tennessee was in the midst of their recruiting violation period and Pruitt was let go about eight days after. He was put in as the interim HC and again got passed over because Tennessee hired Heupel as a replacement. Thats when Heupel decided not to retain him, probably mutually and at that point, he simply remained there to collect his money and left in March. I would argue, after getting passed over twice, Steele was done with 2021 football-wise and took a year off to collect himself. Fairly reasonable thing to do, hello Sean Payton.

5. The issue with taking a year off is whether or not you get hired again. Combined with the fact that you are in your mid 60s and seemingly not the most well-liked guy in coaching circles, that kinda makes hiring you not the easiest thing in the world. Especially when you, probably, expect big time programs to knock at your door, but as I expressed in points 1, 2 and 3, that does not have to happen. @JayCane20 already alluded to this, and I am sure no one knew if Steele was actually ready to start coaching again.

6. Let me be absolutely clear: Just because someone is coaching at a lower-tier program does not mean that he sucks. Its extremely disrespectful and borderline stupid to even have this thought process, as there are several position coaches and coordinators who are doing a really well job despite being at a program that is not the most well known. Jason Candle is a brilliant example of this. Zach Kittley is an even better example of this, because he went to ******* Western Kentucky to post a top 10 offense in F+.

And now for my final analysis and some form of advice for everyone in here: If you are discussing with someone who has written a very solid amount of posts whilst having a reaction score-post-ratio that is far below 1, you might need to realize that the person that you responding too is writing stupid **** at a fairly consistent rate. I like to call these people "Dunning Kruger", named after the equally named cognitive bias where people with low ability think they are the smartest guy in the room, when in reality, everyone in that room looks at them as if they are the biggest morons they have ever seen.

Thanks for my TED talk and please stop giving him more attention. I gave him enough for three weeks to chew on.
too long...didn't read.

Best characterization of Steele defensive philosophy/mindset. Predominantly,

Read and react

or

Aggressive/Attacking

I want Steele type experience as oC. I was more invested in that hire bc we have a year left of TVD. also, I want to know if the OC can identify QB talent. we saw with Enos **** *** still identified TVD, Garcia was identified and recruited by both OCs, and Brown was all Lashlee early on.
People fall in love with this whole “young aggressive” mentality **** with their coaches

That’s fine and well but having a guy like Steele in there helps the entire team, not just the defense

If you're bashing Kevin Steele...maybe you'll be right in a few years when he eventually gets fired for stinking so bad.

But the reality is, right now, its a good hire on paper. Former SEC defensive coordinator that runs a good defense and has some impeccable results throughout his career (the occasional mid year, too...you get those when you've been a college coach since Jimmy Carter was president.

Most of the country, and especially SEC fans, would absolutely say "hey, thats a good hire"...was he #1 on Miami's list...surely not. Is it a good hire? We'll see, but its not some stinker hire. For now, it'll be seen by recruits and the nation as a good hire. We'll see if he can help guide us to some insane defenses like he's had in the past. I, personally, always liked his defenses. They were fun to watch.

Most of y'all would have taken Don Brown every day for years on this forum. Can yall relax on the age thing?

Advertisement
Disagree. I spend every day around nothing but Gators and Noles. Are they delusional ? Yes, but nowhere near as toxic and negative. Who turns on a coach who hasn’t even coached a game? We Actually had close to half this board saying Dorsey would be a bad hire as a OC, that’s how football smart this fanbase is lol. It’s cool to make jokes about your own and crap on them because you’re “ keeping it real “. There’s no denying this fanbase has a well earned reputation.

Apparently, band posters who are the cheerleaders for this negativity are welcomed back here. Nobody to blame here but whoever makes those decisions.

As probably the most well read fan site in the Miami hurricane universe, this is a real stab in the back to the program.

Looking at his highlights, he was the LB coach for the Nebraska Cornhuskers in 1994.

He fieled consistent top 10 defenses at Auburn.

His 2015 LSU tigers defense averaged giving up 24.25 points per game, good enough to be ranked 41 (His first year).

By any measure, an upgrade from what we've had. His head coaching record is atrocious (9-34), but we didn't hire him to be the head coach. He has experience, and while 64 isn't young, some of you wanted to hire Butch Davis at 70.

Solid hire, B+ in my opinion. He has experience, his defenses lend themselves to what we want in a Miami defense.

This isnt some hire that makes you go, "What are they thinking?" or "Gee, hope it works."

Its more of a "Hmm. Okay. Makes sense."

Last edited:
I was posting last week that the DC spot was going to be announced imminently, meaning that day. It didn't happen, and this is why. Steele was not a backup plan to Belk. Belk was going to be the guy and would have been the guy until Steele became a possibility. Mario then turned on a dime and went after Steele. Belk became the backup to Steele at that point.

It took 7 weeks to figure out an unemployed DC was available? You guys are hilairous

Advertisement
@Coach Macho does this hire potentially
Move Brandon Dorless’ needle?

I no zero about this young man. Also, I never hold a soul accountable on this board because I bring nothing to the board but my rapist wit and good looks. I am just curious if he would find this hiring as a positive.

Advertisement
It's not splashy but Steele is the best DC we've had since Schiano imo.

I concur...Kevin Steele's defenses have put up big performances in a lot of big games, I can't remember last time we could say that about a UM DC...Maybe a small amount for Diaz...But we haven't had this type of track record at UM in a long time. Richt on the other side of the ball but he seemed like a tired old man by time he got to UM, and even then I think he could have worked but his loyalty to his moron son did him in..

I concur...Kevin Steele's defenses have put up big performances in a lot of big games, I can't remember last time we could say that about a UM DC...Maybe a small amount for Diaz...But we haven't had this type of track record at UM in a long time. Richt on the other side of the ball but he seemed like a tired old man by time he got to UM, and even then I think he could have worked but his loyalty to his moron son did him in..
We've had one truly epic game since the good years and that was the 2017 ND game. The offense worked, the defense stifled them. It was a glimpse of the past and hope for the future. Let's pray we get a lot more games like that in the next few years.

Advertisement
Back