Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

"The only thing I ask for, if the Good Lord makes me homeless, do it in warm weather because I can't stand being cold," Steele joked recently.

Advertisement
Imo it was

1. Schumann

2a. Belk

2b. Steele

We waited so long because we were giving Schumann time on National Championship run. Then Lanning got hired at UO which probably changed things. Then after NC game Schumann probably just decided to stay another year before moving on. Next was probably Belk, and who knows if he said no or not, but we went with Steele…

For OC though clearly we wanted Dorsey. But it should have been pretty obvious by before NFL playoffs even started that he was going to get Bills OC job offered if he wanted it. So if we are going for a CFB OC it really doesn’t make much sense why we’be been taking this long. I’d say the longer you wait trying to get a CFB guy the more difficult it is to get a guy to leave. Now I mean it’s also possible we were just waiting on certain moves like say Harbaugh leaving for Michigan or something which was obviously playing out on NFL timeline… regardless we’re gunna have an OC within the week I’d expect.

Last edited:
Imo it was

1. Schumann

2a. Belk

2b. Steele

We waited so long because we were giving Schumann time on National Championship run. Then Lanning got hired at UO which probably changed things. Then after NC game Schumann probably just decided to stay another year before moving on. Next was probably Belk, and who knows if he said no or not, but we went with Steele…

For OC though clearly we wanted Dorsey. But it should have been pretty obvious by before NFL playoffs even started that he was going to get Bills OC job offered if he wanted it. So if we are going for a CFB OC it really doesn’t make much sense why we’be been taking this long. I’d say the longer you wait trying to get a CFB guy the more difficult it is to get a guy to leave. Now I mean it’s also possible we were just waiting on certain moves like say Harbaugh leaving for Michigan or something which was obviously playing out on NFL timeline… regardless we’re gunna have an OC within the week I’d expect.
I don't think the story with Schumann is over, long-term. Steele isn't going to be here for more than three years, IMHO. Schumann is about to take the reins at UGA on the defensive side of the ball, all by himself for the first time. If things pan out like they should, he may very well be willing to make the move over here in a few years, especially if we have a solid D that he'll be inheriting. If that's not a one-way ticket to a good P5 job, assuming he stays at UGA for three years, I don't know what is.

I don't think the story with Schumann is over, long-term. Steele isn't going to be here for more than three years, IMHO. Schumann is about to take the reins at UGA on the defensive side of the ball, all by himself for the first time. If things pan out like they should, he may very well be willing to make the move over here in a few years, especially if we have a solid D that he'll be inheriting. If that's not a one-way ticket to a good P5 job, assuming he stays at UGA for three years, I don't know what is.

What?

If things work out for Schumann at UGA he'll be a HC in 3 years, not making a lateral DC move

Advertisement
What?

If things work out for Schumann at UGA he'll be a HC in 3 years, not making a lateral DC move
He's a young guy. If he's not getting anything but low-end P5 offers at UGA after three years, he may make the jump over here if we pay him more money and he can leverage that into a better P5 offer.

Overall, I think this is a low probability event and wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened. He was definitely interested in us, but the stars didn't align this time.

He's a young guy. If he's not getting anything but low-end P5 offers at UGA after three years, he may make the jump over here if we pay him more money and he can leverage that into a better P5 offer.

Overall, I think this is a low probability event and wishful thinking, but crazier things have happened. He was definitely interested in us, but the stars didn't align this time.

Dan Lanning was at UGA what, 3-4 years? And is 3 years older than Schumann. Now he's the HC at Oregon.

And UGA can pay whatever we can, that's 100% wishful thinking. If he'd make a lateral move it'd be to Texas or A&M, he's a TX native

Imo it was

1. Schumann

2a. Belk

2b. Steele

The only actual guy who turned Mario down is Candle. Every other rumored OC/DC name, and there have been dozens, is speculation.

That's why it really doesn't matter if Steele was Plan A or Z.

None of that is true.

I’ve repeatedly said that Mario is a great coach & great recruiter, if I didn’t like him I would say it.

I don’t throw salt at all, I give my opinion, if you don’t like it, then I guess you have to deal with it on your own terms.

And I’m sorry I’m not a sunshine pumper or a devout worshipper, I’ve said that Mario was a good hire, I don’t know what else yall want from me, but I’m not going to say things I don’t belive in order to appease people. If i did’t like Mario or thought he was a terrible hire I wouldn’t actually say anything nor would I be around here posting at all.

Maybe you take my jokes to heart which isn’t the best thing to do, I use humor to lighten this place up because you guys are wound so tight you could snap at any second, yall take this sh*t too seriously & then get mad at people because they don’t feel exactly how yall feel about everything, that’s kinda crazy lol.

I have no issue with Steele, I have no issue with none of Mario’s hires thus far & have said so in every thread in which they were hired. I don’t know what else I need to do... If you want my to write a 25,000 word essay about how much I love Mario I’m sorry bro I’m not going to do that, at least not until he wins a Natty lol.

I think he’s a great coach, but I don’t think he’s God, if that makes me hater, then I guess so 🤷🏽‍♂️
I point blanked asked you to rate the Steele hire with no bullsh*t and you said "A".

IDK why people think you are hating. I love me some Mario and all his hires have been good, but I agree we cant become Don Baileys over here.

Advertisement
Imo it was

1. Schumann

2a. Belk

2b. Steele

Well looks like the wait was for NFL (Dorsey) and Michigan with Harbaugh... An acceptable reason for the OC hire to have taken so long imo...

Imo it was

1. Schumann

2a. Belk

2b. Steele

I wish Schumann and Mario would do a deposition so we can put to rest the theories about the DC Hierarchy search. ****, Schumann has never been a DC, called plays and his current position of LB coach is the highest position he's held. Yet he was through Mario's first choice? When you guys fall in love you fall hard and blind.

I wish Schumann and Mario would do a deposition so we can put to rest the theories about the DC Hierarchy search. ****, Schumann has never been a DC, called plays and his current position of LB coach is the highest position he's held. Yet he was through Mario's first choice? When you guys fall in love you fall hard and blind.
His highest position is Co-DC.
Dorseys highest position until now has been QB Coach yet are you doubting every single insider who has said Dorsey was the target?
Schumann is what the info says.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami fans are pretty funny. Last year we didn’t even have a defensive coordination and it showed on the field. The year before we had Blake baker. Now we have a legit guy who has consistently fielded top defenses. A professional coach not some experiment or g5 guy we hope can step up. I’m happy with this hire.
Steele is a **** good DC.

These idiot young fans know jack ****. I love the guy who claimed Manny was better. :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg: What a comic douche.

Manny MIGHT have been able to get Steele in here last year, if he tucked his unjustified legend in his own mind ego back a bit and was willing to let a DC do their job while he played head coach. I don't think Steele would have come here with Manny as head coach, but you still inquire versus trying to wear two hats like you have been a head coach for 25 years.

We only have 3 so LB plus 1 more, assuming Smith stays off field.
This is true. Lots of teams turning to the off-field special teams coordinator. Not sure how that works on game day with calls but I think we go that route too - keeping smith off field.

QB, TE, LB, and then probably another defensive hire - either OLB/nickel, CB, or DE

Advertisement
Back