Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Strange bump when we had 8 turnovers. Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong are two of the best defensive minds in all college football. Anyone thinking it's the defensive staff's faults is crazy.
My only significant issue with Steele so far is our total inability to contain running qb's. We always appear totally unprepared for it. Otherwise, the major issues: tackling & lack of overall athleticism/speed can be greatly improved with acquiring better players.

Strange bump when we had 8 turnovers. Kevin Steele and Charlie Strong are two of the best defensive minds in all college football. Anyone thinking it's the defensive staff's faults is crazy.
So it’s the not the defense fault when a team runs the same play to pick first downs or TD, and you don’t adjust and stop it.

It’s the not the defenses fault when you drop everyone including your MLB 25 yards on the 3rd down, leaving the back uncovered?

Giving up multiple 3rd down conversion

You’re right. The defense is absolved of all the repeated issues.

Are they the main issue? No

But they are a problem

This is a B- hire.

While it’s true that Steele has been DC at Bama, LSU, Clemson and Auburn, he has either been fired or demoted at all those jobs with the exception of LSU, where he left for a lateral position.

Fans at most of those schools don’t speak highly of him. Clemson fans hate him. LSU fans are mixed. Auburn fans started a “#StopSteele” campaign on Twitter when it was rumored he was the frontrunner for the permanent HC job in 2020.

Steele is also almost 65 years old. He cut his teeth in the 80’s + 90’s when football was a completely different game scheme wise. At one point in time he was a great recruiter, but we don’t know if he’s still great at this stage of his career.

And then there’s the Maryland issue. That is by far the most worrisome aspect of the hire - the fact that the best job he could get this cycle (before we called) was at Maryland. Why couldn’t he do better than that? Shouldn’t schools been falling over their feet to hire him if he was such a great DC?

We’ll see how things shake out, but on the surface this is disappointing and would seem to indicate that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong about him, though, and that he kills it here. I would love nothing better to eat some crow.
**** Bro
You said this in February 😬

Advertisement
So it’s the not the defense fault when a team runs the same play to pick first downs or TD, and you don’t adjust and stop it.

It’s the not the defenses fault when you drop everyone including your MLB 25 yards on the 3rd down, leaving the back uncovered?

But they are a problem

That QB draw is their bread and butter play when needing 4 to 6 yards on 3rd down. I have watched Duke maybe 2 times this season. I knew it was coming was hoping they wouldn't call it because I knew that we wouldn't have a clue. It was surreal watching it called over and over again and we didn't adjust. It was like a crash being replayed on tape over and over again

I think Steele is a good DC. Auburn fans didn't want him to be the HC, but his defenses kept that team going, and many considered him to be the best DC in the SEC during his time there. He had 4 straight advanced stat defenses nationally there.

Charlie Strong is Co-DC and he is a good defensive coach.

Now as far as short term if Steele decided he isn't about this life with Mario at age 66, I would go after Tony White the DC for Syracuse.

I have banged the table for him for over a year. He is a bright young aggressive DC off the Rocky Long tree.

Advertisement
Yikes I hope your wife stole your login info.

But they are a problem
Don't forget multiple 4th down conversions.

That QB draw is their bread and butter play when needing 4 to 6 yards on 3rd down. I have watched Duke maybe 2 times this season. I knew it was coming was hoping they wouldn't call it because I knew that we wouldn't have a clue. It was surreal watching it called over and over again and we didn't adjust. It was like a crash being replayed on tape over and over again
What about all the other teams we've played? Duke wasn't the first team to dig in the playbook for the sneak QB draw that everyone on CIS knew was coming?

What about all the other teams we've played? Duke wasn't the first team to dig in the playbook for the sneak QB draw that everyone on CIS knew was coming?

On a few of those QB draws the player was there (Flagg) and was not able to make the play. I get that he knows the calls/defense and can get guys into position, but **** is he a liability athletically.

Advertisement
My only significant issue with Steele so far is our total inability to contain running qb's. We always appear totally unprepared for it. Otherwise, the major issues: tackling & lack of overall athleticism/speed can be greatly improved with acquiring better players.
Agreed! Plus, a mobile QB is a weapon on every level of football so that doesn't bother me as much as the poor tackling. We were in position several times and we simply can't make the tackle. Tackling has been an issue for years and I think it's obvious that will improve with bigger and better linebackers. We knew our LB group was our weakness and we shouldn't be surprised when teams expose it.

I love it. team stinks so why not argue and talk **** online? at least this is better than watching the team play.
I mean if you can’t think of anything better to do, then alright go for it. I have no idea how anyone can talk **** or argue though.

Last edited:
The only reason the defense has been a sliver better than last year is because of Time of possession. Instead of Lashlee getting 3 and outs we have these long 5-7 minute drives where we either have turn over on downs or turnover. Keeping the other team off the field has been our best defense. We've only had 2 games all season where we lost that battle.

Advertisement
What do you suggest the defensive coordinator should do when we have a player in position but can't make the play? And what do you want Steele to do about 8 turnovers? Duke had 330 yards and we only scored 21 points.

Go ahead genius, give me your expert opinion on what Steele should do differently.

What do you suggest the defensive coordinator should do when we have a player in position but can't make the play? And what do you want Steele to do about 8 turnovers? Duke had 330 yards and we only scored 21 points.

Go ahead genius, give me your expert opinion on what Steele should do differently.
If I thought their was a chance you would understand I'd put effort into a response. You clutch your stats closely, hope they keep you safe.

I don't feel too strongly about Steele one way or the other.

What I do feel strongly about is that mobile QBs are a threat in college football and defenses-even good ones-don't really have answers for it. With the way CFB has advanced, you need to score 30+ each game. Long gone are the days of holding teams to under 300 yards and less than 20 points.

On balance, I think we've been OK on defense for the most part, nothing more nothing less. I have way more concerns about the offensive scheme/coaching than I do on the defensive side of the ball.

Agreed! Plus, a mobile QB is a weapon on every level of football so that doesn't bother me as much as the poor tackling. We were in position several times and we simply can't make the tackle. Tackling has been an issue for years and I think it's obvious that will improve with bigger and better linebackers. We knew our LB group was our weakness and we shouldn't be surprised when teams expose it.
Obvious it will improve. Solid take.

Advertisement
Back