Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

This is true. Lots of teams turning to the off-field special teams coordinator. Not sure how that works on game day with calls but I think we go that route too - keeping smith off field.

QB, TE, LB, and then probably another defensive hire - either OLB/nickel, CB, or DE
Could also have a TE/Special Team coach. I think that’s the setup Alabama has.

Advertisement
How awesome would it be if it’s Anthony campanile as CO-DC/LB
Yep. I think I read he interviewed for Michigan’s DC job within the last week. Don’t know if they just went with the guy from Vandy over him or if he chose to stay in the NFL

Campanile would be a major coup but Id imagine he'd only come back to college if it's for a DC role. McDaniel may very well retain him in Miami.

Advertisement
“A Miami Hurricanes defense should always be defined by its physicality and toughness, which are two traits of every Kevin Steele-coached defense,” Miami head coach Mario Cristobal said in a statement. “Coach Steele has recruited, developed and produced at an elite level at every stop of his career, and I’m confident he will implement a defense that will make Hurricanes fans and alumni proud."

I am really looking forward to what this D will look like. Hopefully Steele is rested and ready to go. Miami got some young, hungry kids that are ready to work. Let's see which upper classmen are not.

Siap
damn right walter white GIF by Breaking Bad

Advertisement
This is a B- hire.

While it’s true that Steele has been DC at Bama, LSU, Clemson and Auburn, he has either been fired or demoted at all those jobs with the exception of LSU, where he left for a lateral position.

Fans at most of those schools don’t speak highly of him. Clemson fans hate him. LSU fans are mixed. Auburn fans started a “#StopSteele” campaign on Twitter when it was rumored he was the frontrunner for the permanent HC job in 2020.

Steele is also almost 65 years old. He cut his teeth in the 80’s + 90’s when football was a completely different game scheme wise. At one point in time he was a great recruiter, but we don’t know if he’s still great at this stage of his career.

And then there’s the Maryland issue. That is by far the most worrisome aspect of the hire - the fact that the best job he could get this cycle (before we called) was at Maryland. Why couldn’t he do better than that? Shouldn’t schools been falling over their feet to hire him if he was such a great DC?

We’ll see how things shake out, but on the surface this is disappointing and would seem to indicate that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

I sincerely hope I’m wrong about him, though, and that he kills it here. I would love nothing better to eat some crow.

tenor.gif

Advertisement
I did say B-, not F.

He’ll have his good moments (last week) but he’ll also have some enormous disasters like today.

We could’ve done better.
To be fair, you did say B- I just thought the bump and pat on the back was funny and a bit premature.

I’m not nearly as down on the D. I think Steele is a really good coach and has a good staff under him. We really lack the horses on the side.

Bad game for the D, not debatable. Is he a liability, I don’t think so.

I’m not nearly as down on the D. I think Steele is a really good coach and has a good staff under him. We really lack the horses on the side.

Bad game for the D, not debatable. Is he a liability, I don’t think so.

The lack of adjustments today was super concerning. We were getting shredded in man and from what I could see on the TV broadcast, Steele refused to really mix in any zone. Middle Tennessee also had their QB scramble for what felt like five first downs. There was no contain.

Last edited:
The lack of adjustments today was super concerning. We were getting shredded in man and from what I could see on the TV broadcast, he refused to really mix in any zone. Middle Tennessee also had their QB scramble for what felt like five first downs. There was no contain.
I didn’t understand that either. Only thing I can think of was he was trying to get his D to make a big play since we were down and not give them a soft zone to check down and bleed the clock? I just don’t know tbh. Watching Flagg try to contain and then being in the wrong gap was really frustrating.

Advertisement
Well for 4 straight years he fielded a top 10 advanced stat defense at Auburn, so I would say it's not him.

Also this defense is better than last years by a margin.

What about now?

🫣
Hahaha. My friend. I didn’t have a problem with your grade of B- But short answer, yes. You may lap freely if you want

@RVACane will confirm that last night I told him how disappointed on I am with Steele’s game plans and adjustments.

I do still overall like the defensive coaching hires. We could have done worse and tbh, we aren’t the **** program top coaches are beating down the doors to work for, so I take that into account too.

We are so freaking slow in that side. We have no pass rush which sets the table for everything else. I banged my fist on the table about that in the off season. Harvey I’ve heard is a great dude and working his butt off. But we just don’t have the talent that gets home quickly. Forget about our LBs. Flagg I think has had some good moments. He is a guy you want in the locker room and filling in for injuries but not starting. It’s sad that we have to trot Ivey out there because he is one of our best.

It’s more of a talent issue on D imo. But yes, I’m concerned about Addae and really disappointed with Steele’s in game adjustments.

Advertisement
Back