Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

This would be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

Brutal.
I think we all know exactly what happened even if most don't want to admit it.

Mario knows he needed absolute elite coordinators to mask his game day coaching deficiencies. He went after the best of the best struck out time after time and now he has to scramble to get anyone he can to fill the positions before practice starts.

Advertisement
Posted a message in the other thread that I’ll repeat again in here but I’ll just add that I hope we can pair him with some youth. Steele is getting up there, a younger wiz to help a little bit more with the modern side of the game offensively would go a long way.

After having been around Steele for a couple of years and being one of the biggest preachers of coaches being/not being a “fit” is a load of crap, I’m chuckling at the idea of Steele in Miami. That man is deep south to the core, just picturing him in Coral Gables is hilarious.

With that being said as far as purely coaching. Grade A hire, B+ at worst. He checks a ton of boxes, and is a vet disciplinarian type that we need on that side of the ball. Not to mention he is a very, very good LB coach. I was team Belk/Schumann but we could have done much worse and this is a “good” hire at the end of the day. This is in the ball park of the type of hires I expect us to make with this budget. Now let’s get this sh*t on the road.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
btw, comparing Diaz to Steele is not a joke but the disparity in their overall lb coaching, recruiting, and dc work is pretty large.

No matter what anyone says he is an upgrade as a lb coach and DC in comparison to what we have had in a long time here.
You can't argue the numbers or the recruiting results.

If you have concerns because of his age. Okay. If you have concerns because of the cultural fit. Okay.

The numbers are downright elite though. Plain and simple.

Advertisement
Back