Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Some of these comments are idiotic. Get a young guy to help.with modern concepts
The guy has not been locked in a time capsule. He has been a coach for over 40 years has been at the highest level it's the highest level in conferences and is still active.

Advertisement
You're an idiot. Kevin Steele has long been one of the more respected defensive minds in the game and has worked for some of the best. Even the late Bobby Bowden said "he's as strong as anybody I've ever seen in recruiting".

Is he an A+ up and coming young defensive mind type hire? No. But he's certainly above a B grade and knows how to run and call an aggressive defense.
up and coming means has not done it at the highest level. he has. less risk.

I think we all know exactly what happened even if most don't want to admit it.

Mario knows he needed absolute elite coordinators to mask his game day coaching deficiencies. He went after the best of the best struck out time after time and now he has to scramble to get anyone he can to fill the positions before practice starts.
Or, none of us have any idea of exactly what happened. I'll speculate just like you. Mario interviewed numerous people, took his time, carefully assessed the pros and cons of each candidate and then hired the guy he wanted. This scenario is just as plausible as yours.

Hopefully, Mario has learned from this. No way Steele was the name everyone was keeping secret .

If I had to guess how we got here, some people who initially said yes, turned around and said no.

Advertisement
9728AEFD-697C-4458-A0B7-894FDA52D7C0.gif

Advertisement
Not sure what happened over a decade ago, you'll have to refresh me.

But he is the coach that produced elite defenses year in and year out at Auburn and almost got the HC job at Auburn in 2020.
he got fired because he svcked. He let WVU hang 70 on them. That was the final straw that got him fired.

This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

On the surface, this would appear to be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.
Wouldn't be shocked if a CO is in front of that DC when it's all said and done. He handles fron seven the other handling the back end.

Nothing you said is close to reality

Fans don't know anything as referenced by your post

1)Fired from Baylor as HC
2)FSU LB coach 2003-2006
3)Promoted to Bama DC in 07
4)Saban comes in 08 so steele and the whole staff leaves
5) Steele gets Clemson DC job from 09 - 2011 and then vennables replaces him - demoted here
6) takes a year off, becomes alabama director of player personnel under saban
7) Bama LB coach
8) LSU DC in 2015
9) left for Auburn and had an elite defense as DC from 2016 - 2020
10) staff turnover at auburn so he left too
11) took time off and was supposedly on at maryland

It’s ironic how you accuse me of not knowing anything and then turn around and say Saban got hired in ‘08 at Bama and cleaned house.

Saban got hired in ‘07 and hired Steele as his DC. Then he demoted him a year later.

Last edited:
Advertisement
It was a 25th hour hire, he was supposed to be going to Maryland just this last Friday lol.

He basically threw money on the table & told’em, “Miami or College Park?” Lol
idk how this all came together...but we'll see how it is goes.

I, for one, simply like the surprise factor. ymmv on where Kevin Steele is as a coach in 2022 and beyond, but we'll see how it goes.

Or, none of us have any idea of exactly what happened. I'll speculate just like you. Mario interviewed numerous people, took his time, carefully assessed the pros and cons of each candidate and then hired the guy he wanted. This scenario is just as plausible as yours.
LMFAO!!!! You have to be joking.

Advertisement
It’s funny how you accuse me of not knowing anything and then turn around and say Saban got hired in 08 at Bama and cleaned house.

Saban got hired in 07 and hired Steele as his DC. Then he demoted him a year later.
demoted twice*

but saban runs his own defense so I'd argue that's an irrelevant stance to take

you hold onto that point but ignore his tenure from 2016-2020 as Auburn DC

Advertisement
Back