Confirmed The expectation is that Kevin Steele will be hired as Miami’s defensive coordinator, per sources

Advertisement
Holy ******* elite. I mean just downright nasty defenses. Auburn's defensive ratings according to f+

2016: 9th
2017: 3rd
2018: 8th
2019: 4th
2020: 51st

4/5 years with a top 10 defense. That's ******* insane. Insane.

This is misleading.

He took over for Will Muschamp and his early success came with guys Muschamp either recruited or was in the process of recruiting.

As you saw, once he had to use all of his own guys in 2020, he fell off a cliff.

Shades of Diaz in that regard.

Last edited:
Posted a message in the other thread that I’ll repeat again in here but I’ll just add that I hope we can pair him with some youth. Steele is getting up there, a younger wiz to help a little bit more with the modern side of the game offensively would go a long way.

After having been around Steele for a couple of years and being one of the biggest preachers of coaches being/not being a “fit” is a load of crap, I’m chuckling at the idea of Steele in Miami. That man is deep south to the core, just picturing him in Coral Gables is hilarious.

With that being said as far as purely coaching. Grade A hire, B+ at worst. He checks a ton of boxes, and is a vet disciplinarian type that we need on that side of the ball. Not to mention he is a very, very good LB coach. I was team Belk/Schumann but we could have done much worse and this is a “good” hire at the end of the day. This is in the ball park of the type of hires I expect us to make with this budget. Now let’s get this sh*t on the road.
I think that’s what will happen. I think he wanted someone with big time experience. He knows he has to surround him with recruiters. He did the same thing at Oregon.

I think we all know exactly what happened even if most don't want to admit it.

Mario knows he needed absolute elite coordinators to mask his game day coaching deficiencies. He went after the best of the best struck out time after time and now he has to scramble to get anyone he can to fill the positions before practice starts.

I wouldn't call Steele "anyone". He had a guy or two he liked better but settled on this guy which by all accounts is a **** of a coach. As far as accolades he is the best DC or maybe coordinator coming in we have had since...

Advertisement
Solid. Would've preferred a younger coach and or recruiter like Belk/Schumann(we're going to need help recruiting DL) but Steele is a nice consolation prize.

Now on to the most important hire -- offensive coordinator.

Advertisement
excellent hire, checks all the boxes

*multi sport athlete, which means he's smart, not Fredo smart but real smart
*fluid hips, which means he changes direction easily.
*twitchy, wiry player
*great vision and instincts
*academic all american

wait. am I in the right forum? is this the recruiting forum?

Last edited:
95fbab9a9b7bfd84e34aade36e377777.gif

Advertisement
Holy ******* elite. I mean just downright nasty defenses. Auburn's defensive ratings according to f+

2016: 9th
2017: 3rd
2018: 8th
2019: 4th
2020: 51st

4/5 years with a top 10 defense. That's ******* insane. Insane.
Wasn't he the only coach Dabo fired in his 13 years at Clemson?

Advertisement
This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

This would be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

Brutal.
Nothing you said is close to reality

he's been demoted twice as a position coach/ DC since '02 (Dabo replaced him with vennables in 2012, saban demoted him to LB in 2008).

He was director of player personnel for 2013 bama during the height of their rise and to say he's a bad recruiter is a stretch. is he mario? no but a bad recruiter? I wouldn't say so

fans opinions on coaches is irrelevant

**EDIT as nystateofmind noted, saban was in fact there in 07. However saban demoting him to LB coach and hanging on to that is just petty. Saban runs his defense himself regardless of who's the "DC". Steele left immediately for clemson the next year and was sole DC again so I don't think this shoudl count but just my opinion

Last edited:
This guy has either been fired or demoted from every single DC job he’s had over the last 15 years.

Fans at all the schools he was at speak poorly of him.

He’s almost 65 years old and cut his teeth in the early 90’s when it was a completely different game.

He’s not a good recruiter.

The best job he could get this cycle was at Maryland.

This would be an awful hire and means that Cristobal struck out on many of his top choices.

Brutal.
I will take Kevin Steele 💯 over this guy
Hurricanes Football Celebration GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
Back