The Diaz/Baker haters should be glued this weekend

This is why this board is so ridiculous and unreasonable. Are we the only team in the country that's allowed to improve? Yes, their defense was bad last season, overall. In the game against us, it was exceptionally poor. But they played 4 more games after our game last year, and 3 of them they weren't a complete joke (The game against Kentucky certainly was, however).

Then they played WKU last weekend, and they weren't bad. I'm not going to sit here and pump sunshine up Louisville's ***...yes, they're not great on defense and I'll be EXTREMELY disappointed if we don't have a really good night on offense. But because of 1 game last season they are the worst defense of all time and we have to score FIFTY points on the road in Game 2 of a new regime with limited practice time? Can it happen? Sure. But it blows my mind how some of y'all think....**** yeah I want 50, but say we win the game 38-31, this board is going to be lit up with "Lashlee sucks" threads because some of you really think we're playing an optimist team Saturday night or something. I don't know who needs to hear this, but the game last season means literally nothing. It's 2 entirely different teams in entirely different years.

Grade the 2019 Louisville defense on a curve. The group that allowed 529 points – including 77 to Clemson and 52 or more in each of the last five games and in six of the last seven – still wasn’t great last year, but allowed 434 points and found things that started to work.

The scoring D was still the worst in the ACC, the defense was 102nd in the nation, and the run defense was hammered on way too often.

They are bad. Can they improve? Well yes since the only place to go is up for them. Now what about our Offense? Can we improve? Since we had probably the worst UM offense in the history of our school. I actually think this will be a shootout but I just see them breaking down quicker and we get some timely turnovers.

Advertisement
This is the type of thing that I just don't understand and likely never will. I've got nothing against OP and I'm honestly not trying to be a douche. Really I'm not. It's just that the entire mindset of the last sentence makes little sense to me.

This entire idea that the people who have been very critical of Baker are secretly or not so secretly rooting for our defense to be shredded so that they can say, "See? I told you so!" is completely ludicrous. No disrepect intended to you OP I'm just curious how people can seriously believe this type of thing.

Fans who don't like the way Baker coordinates this defense and heavily criticize him do so because they are fans of this Miami program and want to see it succeed. That doesn't mean that they want to see the defense play poorly so they can tell everyone how Baker sucks.

I'll use myself as an example. I have been a staunch critic of Baker and his game plans, play calls and the fact that his defenses are quite often fundamentally unsound. I don't care for him as our DC and I have not tried to make that a secret. I also have serious concerns about his ability to formulate a game plan that uses our overall talent and our strengths as a defense to put our guys in the best position to shut down or limit this UL offense.

Having said that I would like nothing more than to watch our defense make a statement this Saturday and hold down the Cardinals offense. Why? Because I'm a hard core Canes fan who follows this team all year just as everyone here does and wants to see us kick some serious A$$! When that ball kicks off at 3:30 this coming Saturday I will be with the same group of friends that I watch all our games with and we will live and die with each play. I want our defense to dominate! As a Canes fan I want nothing more that for Baker to prove me wrong because if he succeeds then the team and the program succeed and that is what I want more than anything else. I'm very critical of Baker because I worry that he won't succeed based on what he has shown so far not because I want Baker to prove me right. If we go into Louisville and beat them down and shut down their offense in the process I can guarantee that nobody will be more pleased than I.
I couldn't have said it better myself. 💯

Grade the 2019 Louisville defense on a curve. The group that allowed 529 points – including 77 to Clemson and 52 or more in each of the last five games and in six of the last seven – still wasn’t great last year, but allowed 434 points and found things that started to work.

The scoring D was still the worst in the ACC, the defense was 102nd in the nation, and the run defense was hammered on way too often.

They are bad. Can they improve? Well yes since the only place to go is up for them. Now what about our Offense? Can we improve? Since we had probably the worst UM offense in the history of our school. I actually think this will be a shootout but I just see them breaking down quicker and we get some timely turnovers.

I'm all for it, my man. I hope we win 60-3. I just know how this site is, and everyone is so touchy with how bad the offense has been the last few years (rightfully so) that I think expectations are getting a little insane. I'll be looking for about 6.5 YPP. If we can average at or over 6.5 YPP on Saturday, we should be moving the ball at will, putting points on the board, and stressing their offense. Hopefully they press a little if we can get a lead and we can unleash the pass rushers.

Advertisement
I'm all for it, my man. I hope we win 60-3. I just know how this site is, and everyone is so touchy with how bad the offense has been the last few years (rightfully so) that I think expectations are getting a little insane. I'll be looking for about 6.5 YPP. If we can average at or over 6.5 YPP on Saturday, we should be moving the ball at will, putting points on the board, and stressing their offense. Hopefully they press a little if we can get a lead and we can unleash the pass rushers.
Agree

They have Tons of Speed...
They had a ton of speed last year as well and it resulted in 27 points. These predictions of UL scoring 35+ on us is too much in my opinion. Our safety play will be tested but I trust Gurvan, Bubba, and Amari to ensure the backend for. I don't expect too many big plays from Louisville.

They had a ton of speed last year as well and it resulted in 27 points. These predictions of UL scoring 35+ on us is too much in my opinion. Our safety play will be tested but I trust Gurvan, Bubba, and Amari to ensure the backend for. I don't expect too many big plays from Louisville.
I ain't buying it...

Advertisement
Because I think Baker's a Joke...and our DB and LBer play are Horrible....
I'm no Blake Baker defender, but terrible is a stretch. DB play definitely has to improve our, Ivey has to show up this game or it's time for Couch or Williams to supplant him. Blades will perform when needed. Safety play is okay with him. The safeties were playing downhill, which I like. If tackle well on Saturday, we'll be good. D-Line and Safety play will determine the outcome of this game. If our Dline can get pressure on Cunningham and our safeties do a good job tackling, all of those shallow crossers and drags will be ineffective. I expect to more of Brooks at LB this week too. We're good. I expect a struggle for the first half then we'll open it up in the second half.

I'm no Blake Baker defender, but terrible is a stretch. DB play definitely has to improve our, Ivey has to show up this game or it's time for Couch or Williams to supplant him. Blades will perform when needed. Safety play is okay with him. The safeties were playing downhill, which I like. If tackle well on Saturday, we'll be good. D-Line and Safety play will determine the outcome of this game. If our Dline can get pressure on Cunningham and our safeties do a good job tackling, all of those shallow crossers and drags will be ineffective. I expect to more of Brooks at LB this week too. We're good. I expect a struggle for the first half then we'll open it up in the second half.
Terrible is NOT a stretch....I would hope I know alittle something about the way a UM Defense should look like...and it's not supposed to look like this...

Advertisement
I have to agree with @Disgustipated on this one. UL won't score 48 on us. Our Dline should make it very hard for them to score that much.
They might not score 48, but 35 is still a lot. Keep them under 35, and that's pretty decent. It'll be a nice test for our O, as we absolutely lit them up last year. Suitcase was hot, though, and when he's hot, he's probably a more pinpoint passer than D'Eriq.

I fully expect Satterfield to outcoach Baker by a wide margin. Satterfield is one of the best in the game and Baker is Baker. That being said we still have a decent defense that can be disruptive.

The real question for me is the whether Lashlee is legit and will give us an edge. It's almost impossible for me to rely on the old "he held something back" having fallen for that again and again. But he showed almost no intermediate passing game, crossing routes, air raid concepts, etc.. last game so either we have them and if we execute it could be a fun season, or we don't, and it will be another slog.
I'm not a baker homer , just trying to be a realist here. Our defense dominated them last year. What in the world is the problem people have with baker? is he manny? no but manny is our HC.

if we had a pulse of an offense last year everyone on here wouldn't say a peep about baker.

Advertisement
This is the type of thing that I just don't understand and likely never will. I've got nothing against OP and I'm honestly not trying to be a douche. Really I'm not. It's just that the entire mindset of the last sentence makes little sense to me.

This entire idea that the people who have been very critical of Baker are secretly or not so secretly rooting for our defense to be shredded so that they can say, "See? I told you so!" is completely ludicrous. No disrepect intended to you OP I'm just curious how people can seriously believe this type of thing.

Fans who don't like the way Baker coordinates this defense and heavily criticize him do so because they are fans of this Miami program and want to see it succeed. That doesn't mean that they want to see the defense play poorly so they can tell everyone how Baker sucks.

I'll use myself as an example. I have been a staunch critic of Baker and his game plans, play calls and the fact that his defenses are quite often fundamentally unsound. I don't care for him as our DC and I have not tried to make that a secret. I also have serious concerns about his ability to formulate a game plan that uses our overall talent and our strengths as a defense to put our guys in the best position to shut down or limit this UL offense.

Having said that I would like nothing more than to watch our defense make a statement this Saturday and hold down the Cardinals offense. Why? Because I'm a hard core Canes fan who follows this team all year just as everyone here does and wants to see us kick some serious A$$! When that ball kicks off at 3:30 this coming Saturday I will be with the same group of friends that I watch all our games with and we will live and die with each play. I want our defense to dominate! As a Canes fan I want nothing more that for Baker to prove me wrong because if he succeeds then the team and the program succeed and that is what I want more than anything else. I'm very critical of Baker because I worry that he won't succeed based on what he has shown so far not because I want Baker to prove me right. If we go into Louisville and beat them down and shut down their offense in the process I can guarantee that nobody will be more pleased than I.

I think you’re giving multiple people much more credit than they deserve.

I'm not a baker homer , just trying to be a realist here. Our defense dominated them last year. What in the world is the problem people have with baker? is he manny? no but manny is our HC.

if we had a pulse of an offense last year everyone on here wouldn't say a peep about baker.
They did have 500 yards and 8 yards per play. Not exactly dominant. Also turned it over 3x and had 125 penalty yards - which the d does get some credit for.

Their O is good - probably the second best we’ll play all season. But their D is likely the second worst we’ll see all year. I’d like to think that if we put up another 3 quarter 50 burger, we aren’t getting beat. But who knows.

They did have 500 yards and 8 yards per play. Not exactly dominant. Also turned it over 3x and had 125 penalty yards - which the d does get some credit for.

Their O is good - probably the second best we’ll play all season. But their D is likely the second worst we’ll see all year. I’d like to think that if we put up another 3 quarter 50 burger, we aren’t getting beat. But who knows.
I agree dominant was the wrong word but overall they could have scored a lot less if it weren't for simple mistakes on our part and there was no time where it felt like we were in trouble, ultimately if our defense was a problem during their game then that means their defense was a disaster because they were not matching our efficiency at all and this year we have a competent qb and OC

Advertisement
Back