The Diaz/Baker haters should be glued this weekend

Brilliant and expected retort when presented with facts showing even average offenses are getting more and more difficult to stop.

Go back to your moping now doofus.

No moping here, but tell yourself what you will to make yourself feel good. I defended Baker after game one. Read my post again. I specifically said stats aren't a big deal, so thanks for the useless history lesson. When you blitz from 15 yards out on third down and you have a safety covering their quickest WR, and the WR runs right at the the hole for an easy catch. That is bad defensive play calling. When you don't adjust after the offense adjusts in the 2nd half, that is on the defensive coordinator. I said he deserves little credit because his players made plays to bail him out of his stupid calls. If you can't see the terrible third down blitzing he comes with, then I can't help you.

Advertisement
Baker had little to no part in what our defense accomplished. There were a few plays where we made tackles by the shoelaces that saved huge gains and touchdowns and first downs in important situations. I attribute those plays to playmakers being playmakers, not coaching. Stats and scores are all well and good, but Baker still has a habit of dumb blitzes at dumb times and putting Bolden on Atwell...wtf?! I trust Diaz playcalling this defense...Not Baker.

It’s not like he was guarding him man to man, we were in zone every time he ended up on him. You want to get drafted as a safety you gotta be able to cover the corner route when in cover two, which is not easy.

Much of this defense surviving -- much less thriving -- will be about the offense scoring a ton, getting out to big leads and making teams one-dimensional with the pass game(allowing the front four to pin their ears back)

Somebody just wake me up when you can say "the defense lost that game".

I have no affiliation to Manny or Baker....I don't love nor hate them, I simply support them because they coach the program I follow and support. But this really isn't hard. It's very black and white. "The defense lost that game" is something that you could've said very, very, very few times since Manny got here. It's simple facts. Manny has been on the sideline, either as a coordinator or head coach here, for 20 losses. You can count on 1 hand how many times you could have said "the defense lost that game" after those losses.

And if we're being really real, Jason Pierre-Paul can probably count on his right hand how many times you could have realistically said it.

Advertisement
No moping here, but tell yourself what you will to make yourself feel good. I defended Baker after game one. Read my post again. I specifically said stats aren't a big deal, so thanks for the useless history lesson. When you blitz from 15 yards out on third down and you have a safety covering their quickest WR, and the WR runs right at the the hole for an easy catch. That is bad defensive play calling. When you don't adjust after the offense adjusts in the 2nd half, that is on the defensive coordinator. I said he deserves little credit because his players made plays to bail him out of his stupid calls. If you can't see the terrible third down blitzing he comes with, then I can't help you.

They are useless when you want to ignore realities of college football today. Good offense is going to beat good defense a vast majority of the time.

Our first two opponents are 7-30 on third down this season btw.

Last edited:

I have no affiliation to Manny or Baker....I don't love nor hate them, I simply support them because they coach the program I follow and support. But this really isn't hard. It's very black and white. "The defense lost that game" is something that you could've said very, very, very few times since Manny got here. It's simple facts. Manny has been on the sideline, either as a coordinator or head coach here, for 20 losses. You can count on 1 hand how many times you could have said "the defense lost that game" after those losses.

And if we're being really real, Jason Pierre-Paul can probably count on his right hand how many times you could have realistically said it.

You could argue VTech last year, but the offense did have five turnovers, and all of them might've been in minus territory.

I tend to agree with your take.

I don't see the reason for panic on defense. I understand that people don't like Manny's defense stylistically and I get it, but It's hard to argue with results.

I'll start panicking if we go back to the 500 Club days where every ****** offense under the sun would easily tune us up.

You could argue VTech last year, but the offense did have five turnovers, and all of them might've been in minus territory.

I tend to agree with your take.

I don't see the reason for panic on defense. I understand that people don't like Manny's defense stylistically and I get it, but It's hard to argue with results.

I'll start panicking if we go back to the 500 Club days where every ****** offense under the sun would easily tune us up.

I'll even give you that one, because the redzone defense was abysmal. But, as a defense, when you're more than halfway through a season, and your offense has sucked for 90% of it, and then you start a game with these 4 possessions on offense, it's really tough to be successful:

INT
INT
INT
Fumble

4 possessions. 4 turnovers. Tough to put that on the defense, but overall they were not good enough in that game, and wound up giving up over 40 (by the way, the only game in 4+ years that a team has scored 40 on us. It happened 11 times in the 7 seasons before Manny. One time in the 4+ seasons since he showed up). So even with that one, it's STILL count on 1 hand how many games the defense has been responsible for losing.

Advertisement
They are useless when you want to ignore realities of college football today. Good offense is going to beat good defense a vast majority of the time.

Our first two opponents are 7-30 on third down this season btw.
I agree this is an offensive man's game now, but that is all the more reason to play sound football. Our front four were getting in the backfield each game, why blitz unnecessarily from bad angles and leave holes in your coverage?

ND - 2016, UNC - 2019, VT - 2019 are really the only major ones that come to mind. Every other loss was due to our offense not being able to score at least 30 points.

Also.. those quick scoring drives doesn’t help the D’s stats. If people wanna look at the numbers, they need to keep it in context.

Agree sir. We ain't setting the world on fire but that team is going to score a lot of points this year and giving them a ton of posession time, for the right reasons for once, didn't help things.

Advertisement
Much of this defense surviving -- much less thriving -- will be about the offense scoring a ton, getting out to big leads and making teams one-dimensional with the pass game(allowing the front four to pin their ears back)
Really? That hasn't really been our M.O. offensively and the defense has still been pretty good.

Listen.
When your defense has not been the problem for the last few years..... and
you are undefeated.....

calling for replacements is a complete internet fan thing to do.

(fan thoughts)
I have seen some plays that didn't work.
These plays must happen all the time.
Someone online, said something smart, that I agree with, about some coach/player.
I want to sound smart.
I will repeat this "smart" over and over again
There are no alternatives to me not being correct.
we must fire someone.
I have no idea what to to after we fire an undefeated positional coach, who hasn't caused us to lose games. (because we are undefeated)
but OFF WITH THEIR HEADS makes me look strong and decisive.

Continuity of coaching is a continuing aspect championship teams.

Culture is more than the players, it's also the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Advertisement

"The defense lost that game" is something that you could've said very, very, very few times since Manny got here.

You could have said it many times. Yeah the offense hasn’t helped but there have been many key moments when the defense buckled like UNC & Virginia Tech last year and times when it almost cost us the win and the offense bailed us out like FSU 2017. People forget us giving up a ton of points late in that game to a Freshman Blackman. Where was the defenses against Wisconsin both times?

Manny and Baker have had their dull moments too. Both get too cute at times and let teams back in the game. Or some dumbfounding personnel setups like that first big run allowed against LSU.

Advertisement
Back