The Diaz/Baker haters should be glued this weekend

they gashed on a few big plays last year, safeties taking bad angles (carter, knowles) and a lot of misdirection. if our DL dominates, which i expect it will, we will coast, as long as we don't lose the special teams game. we had some big plays on ST last year (al blades blocked punt and KJ osborn had a ton of yards on punt retunrs). if we make our FGs and execute our punts and punt defense well, miami will win.

Advertisement
Critiquing is not hating. But criticism is a deliberate act of indicating points for improvement and realistic paths to success that do not directly contribute to a deterioration of successful points.

I have yet to hear much of that on CIS. All I hear is the D is awful because we weren't undefeated. People are hating on the D already this season after allowing all of two TD's, one coming on a very short field. That's hating.
No one is saying that and you’re just spinning the narrative to fit your agenda. A lot of the best posters on this website have called out this Defensive staff for the bs they do at times, and rightfully so.

No sounds like you guys think the complaining stems from one game and not Baker since he’s been here. VT, GT, FIU, UNC etc. His situational awareness is bad at times. Telegraphing blitzes. Unnecessarily stunting and slanting the D-Line creating holes for the opposing team. Yes they only gave up two TDs but UAB moved the ball against us during stretches of the game. To their credit the D bent but didn’t break but against better competition that always isn’t the case
Preach bruh!

Advertisement
I am very, very confused as to how people think this game is that much different than last year, except we had Jarren Williams and not D'Eriq King at QB.

If it's a boat race, I don't see much cause for concern.

i agree. I don’t understand people’s love affair with Louisville. They are a middle of the road 500 team. If we lose, that what we are too. I think we’re better and win handily.

If Baker brings those stupid stunts and those ridiculous blitzes from Brooklyn it will be hard to win in their house. We will win if the coaches from the defensive side of the ball Do their homework and put the players in position to make plays. I finally have confidence in the offense.
Lol; not stunts and blitzes from Brooklyn, though! Lol

Advertisement
UAB was statistically good on Defense, last year. Didn’t translate against a real opponent.

You know what they say about stats..
Yep. This is what people miss, beating up on bad teams while being shredded by teams with a pulse can skew stats. Big test for Manny and Baker.

They're not complaints, but critiques. A lot of our fans blame the offense for the defense's past woes for example but certain aspects such as multiple players taking bad angles, the D allowing a 1st after 3rd & 15 because Baker sent 7 and left the middle of the field open, not allowing our tall/long armed corner to really press receivers, constant stunts leaving holes for RBs to run through, etc has nothing to do with the offense. What some of us would like to see is putting our players in better position to not only maximize the defense, but their draft stocks as well. Michigan, Clemson, Ohio State, and Ped State run a similar defense to Manny/Baker's and usually rank in the top 20 just like us, but their players get drafted high regularly while ours don't. I wonder why...

Last edited:
Anyone watching this past weekend should have some gripes with that defensive performance. They **** them selves down on at least 3-4 of their first half drives with penalties. Our pass D was super soft and heat meh overall. Ivey looked out of sorts against inferior talent, McCloud was everywhere but eat the ball carrier, and they were running through us. I’m all in with OP though that this is the true litmus test for this D.

Atwell is electric and faster than us on D so containing him will be a problem.

Their coach is better than our coach in general. We will not get as much as we think from our O as they will try to go so fast. This D just needs to be a lot better than what we saw week 1.

They're not complaints, but critiques. A lot of our fans blame the offense for the defense's past woes for example but certain aspects such as multiple players taking bad angles, the D allowing a 1st after 3rd & 15 because Baker sent 6 and left the middle of the field open, not allowing our tall/long armed corner to really press receivers, constant stunts leaving holes for RBs to run through, etc has nothing to do with the offense. What some of us would like to see is putting our players in better position to not only maximize the defense, but their draft stocks as well. Michigan, Clemson, Ohio State, and Ped State run a similar defense to Manny/Baker's and usually rank in the top 20 just like us, but their players get drafted high regularly while ours don't. I wonder why...
Haha, I remember it was Brad Kaaya and the offenses fault we lost to FSU a few years ago, not the fact our team couldn’t tackle Dalvin Cook and block on XP attempts. Unrelated to this team, but very related to our fans’ mentality of pointing fingers.

Advertisement
Huge litmus test for the defense this week.

I know this is CIS, so even if we play well on defense and win, we'll still suck....but on Earth, this is a big test for the defense.

Louisville is legit as **** on offense. Against FBS teams, they finished 2019 at #15 in the country in offensive YPP. And they put up 7.75 a play on us last year. This is a very well coached, very talented offense and we're playing in their house.

Will be very interesting to wake up Sunday morning and really digest how well the defense handles them. To me, the magic number is 6.0 YPP. If we hold them under that number, I think it's a win for the defense and I think we have a really good shot to win the ballgame. They were held under that number 4 times last season....Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, and Kentucky. And aside from Mekhi Becton, they return virtually their entire offense, and now have Braden Smith, who signed originally with Mississippi State out of HS and went to Juco last year. He can play.

Bottom line, this is an explosive offense, as we saw last year, and they're probably even better this year.

Diaz and Baker haters are going to be gloating or eating crow on Sunday.
This is the type of thing that I just don't understand and likely never will. I've got nothing against OP and I'm honestly not trying to be a douche. Really I'm not. It's just that the entire mindset of the last sentence makes little sense to me.

This entire idea that the people who have been very critical of Baker are secretly or not so secretly rooting for our defense to be shredded so that they can say, "See? I told you so!" is completely ludicrous. No disrepect intended to you OP I'm just curious how people can seriously believe this type of thing.

Fans who don't like the way Baker coordinates this defense and heavily criticize him do so because they are fans of this Miami program and want to see it succeed. That doesn't mean that they want to see the defense play poorly so they can tell everyone how Baker sucks.

I'll use myself as an example. I have been a staunch critic of Baker and his game plans, play calls and the fact that his defenses are quite often fundamentally unsound. I don't care for him as our DC and I have not tried to make that a secret. I also have serious concerns about his ability to formulate a game plan that uses our overall talent and our strengths as a defense to put our guys in the best position to shut down or limit this UL offense.

Having said that I would like nothing more than to watch our defense make a statement this Saturday and hold down the Cardinals offense. Why? Because I'm a hard core Canes fan who follows this team all year just as everyone here does and wants to see us kick some serious A$$! When that ball kicks off at 3:30 this coming Saturday I will be with the same group of friends that I watch all our games with and we will live and die with each play. I want our defense to dominate! As a Canes fan I want nothing more that for Baker to prove me wrong because if he succeeds then the team and the program succeed and that is what I want more than anything else. I'm very critical of Baker because I worry that he won't succeed based on what he has shown so far not because I want Baker to prove me right. If we go into Louisville and beat them down and shut down their offense in the process I can guarantee that nobody will be more pleased than I.

Last edited:
I, for one, am planning a meltdown of seven-year-old-girl-got-the-wrong-present-at-her-birthday-party proportions if we don't win by at least seven touchdowns, hold them to zero, and there isn't a special guest appearance by a reincarnated Macho Man Randy Savage.

randy savage GIF
So more of the same in the gameday threads?

Advertisement
It might also burn if Louisville wins. Because for some reason people in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania love burning their cities down.
I'm in PA, while I hate the place, mind letting me know which city in PA has been burned down recently? Or not recently for that matter?

This is the type of thing that I just don't understand and likely never will. I've got nothing against OP and I'm honestly not trying to be a douche. Really I'm not. It's just that the entire mindset of the last sentence makes little sense to me.

This entire idea that the people who have been very critical of Baker are secretly or not so secretly rooting for our defense to be shredded so that they can say, "See? I told you so!" is completely ludicrous. No disrepect intended to you OP I'm just curious how people can seriously believe this type of thing.

Fans who don't like the way Baker coordinates this defense and heavily criticize him do so because they are fans of this Miami program and want to see it succeed. That doesn't mean that they want to see the defense play poorly so they can tell everyone how Baker sucks.

I'll use myself as an example. I have been a staunch critic of Baker and his game plans, play calls and the fact that his defenses are quite often fundamentally unsound. I don't care for him as our DC and I have not tried to make that a secret. I also have serious concerns about his ability to formulate a game plan that uses our overall talent and our strengths as a defense to put our guys in the best position to shut down or limit this UL offense.

Having said that I would like nothing more than to watch our defense make a statement this Saturday and hold down the Cardinals offense. Why? Because I'm a hard core Canes fan who follows this team all year just as everyone here does and wants to see us kick some serious A$$! When that ball kicks off at 3:30 this coming Saturday I will be with the same group of friends that I watch all our games with and we will live and die with each play. I want our defense to dominate! As a Canes fan I want nothing more that for Baker to prove me wrong because if he succeeds then the team and the program succeed and that is what I want more than anything else. I'm very critical of Baker because I worry that he won't succeed based on what he has shown so far not because I want Baker to prove me right. If we go into Louisville and beat them down and shut down their offense in the process I can guarantee that nobody will be more pleased than I.

LOL no offense taken at all (and to be fair, there is no way humanly possible to offend me, period...especially on a message board. And if everyone shared that same mindset, we'd be a lot better off in society, but that's a different story), but you must not know our fanbase very well. We WON a football game on Thursday, by 3 scores, against a bowl team last year, and this place was a funeral for 48 hours after the game. This fanbase is MISERABLE. So, while I think the faction of fans who genuinely root against the team is very, very small, I GUARANTEE YOU that if we win the game 51-48 and the defense gets absolutely prison raped, you will have people literally sprinting to this board to tell everyone how much "They told you so".

You seem to be a normal fan. You don't like the defensive philosophy and who runs it. Fair enough. But you're going to be rooting for a shutout, of course. That's a normal, rational human being. Unfortunately, those are not the norm in this fanbase. There are people who would like nothing more than to win a shootout just so they can tell people they've never met, and never will, on an anonymous message board how smart they are because they knew Blake Baker and Manny aren't nearly as good as the numbers have suggested.

LOL no offense taken at all (and to be fair, there is no way humanly possible to offend me, period...especially on a message board. And if everyone shared that same mindset, we'd be a lot better off in society, but that's a different story), but you must not know our fanbase very well. We WON a football game on Thursday, by 3 scores, against a bowl team last year, and this place was a funeral for 48 hours after the game. This fanbase is MISERABLE. So, while I think the faction of fans who genuinely root against the team is very, very small, I GUARANTEE YOU that if we win the game 51-48 and the defense gets absolutely prison raped, you will have people literally sprinting to this board to tell everyone how much "They told you so".

You seem to be a normal fan. You don't like the defensive philosophy and who runs it. Fair enough. But you're going to be rooting for a shutout, of course. That's a normal, rational human being. Unfortunately, those are not the norm in this fanbase. There are people who would like nothing more than to win a shootout just so they can tell people they've never met, and never will, on an anonymous message board how smart they are because they knew Blake Baker and Manny aren't nearly as good as the numbers have suggested.
I understand you perfectly. I would say that my issue is most likely a perceptual one. I just assumed that because I am a huge fan and I think a certain way that most everyone else would think like that as well. My dad was a psychiatrist who in addition to his practice taught part time at the UM Med School used to tell me all the time that I make a mistake assuming that people are going to be rational or react in a rational manner.

I will say that in regards to the state of the board after our 31-14 victory I believe that type of negative reaction has a lot to do with the type of expectations that UM fans tend to have of their football team. So much of the appeal of this program to many kids 30 plus years ago was rooted in the way that those teams could dominate opponents and then tell them about it afterwards. I think many fans have a desire both consciously and unconsciously to see that type of dominance again. They want so badly to see clear evidence that this program can and is in the process of getting back to that level of dominance again. Consequently when they see evidence that is in contradiction of that, they react very strongly. I think it's understandable given the general psychology of a typical UM fan. Are there some that act in the way that you have suggested? Yes there probably is but it is harder for me to see since I'm not wired that way.

Last edited:

The difference is you're a normal poster. How many threads go off the rails because somebody chimes in with "4th and 17" or "We lost to GT, FIU, and La Tech"? For some they are convinced we will lose and, assuming they are actually fans, the only way forward is to fail completely. Look at how many were actively rooting for us to lose last year so Manny would get fired. These are the types of posters the @OrangeBowlMagic is talking about, not normal people with valid concerns.

Advertisement
Back