The Diaz/Baker haters should be glued this weekend

Advertisement
UAB was statistically good on Defense, last year. Didn’t translate against a real opponent.

You know what they say about stats..

Actually, I know very well what they say about stats (in addition to the flaws, and how to apply them correctly), being a financial analyst.

And I would quickly counter that... (hold your breath!) there are THREE elements to a football game, and they all impact each other. Offense sucked. Special Teams sucked. It's a miracle the D was even statistically good.

I'm not sitting here saying last year's D was a world beater. But the facts of the matter are 1) we had one of the worst defenses in CFB FOR YEARS before Diaz took over, and 2) we've now had four years of sustained success on defense, even if only from a statistical vantage point.

You guys are intoxicated on that Satterfield juice. Old man Rick bent him over a couple years ago, and Manny manhandled him last year. Not exactly Bill Walsh and Don Coryell going house on him. Satterfield is good, but he ain't all that.

Our D has some substantial holes in the throw game. Every time we play a competent passing offense they eat. I expect the same thing against UL. This will be a shootout because our D struggles against competent throw games, and their D is absolute ****. Should be a fun game, but don't get too bent out of shape if we win a 52-48 type of game.

You guys are intoxicated on that Satterfield juice. Old man Rick bent him over a couple years ago, and Manny manhandled him last year. Not exactly Bill Walsh and Don Coryell going house on him. Satterfield is good, but he ain't all that.

Our D has some substantial holes in the throw game. Every time we play a competent passing offense they eat. I expect the same thing against UL. This will be a shootout because our D struggles against competent throw games, and their D is absolute ****. Should be a fun game, but don't get too bent out of shape if we win a 52-48 type of game.
I agree but they aren’t scoring 48 but them, Clemson(obviously) and UNC will be the 3 teams to give us problems because of the throw game

Advertisement
The thing I find grand about the haters of the defense is they make so many plays, impactful negative plays but the gurus come running after every game to point out any negative. If a team gets over 100yds and 7 first downs Manny and now Baker suck. Comical, we went from not being able to stop anyone to being a too 20 defense with Manny. Still “fans” **** on Manny no matter what

don't get too bent out of shape if we win a 52-48 type of game.

I, for one, am planning a meltdown of seven-year-old-girl-got-the-wrong-present-at-her-birthday-party proportions if we don't win by at least seven touchdowns, hold them to zero, and there isn't a special guest appearance by a reincarnated Macho Man Randy Savage.

randy savage GIF

Advertisement
The thing I find grand about the haters of the defense is they make so many plays, impactful negative plays but the gurus come running after every game to point out any negative. If a team gets over 100yds and 7 first downs Manny and now Baker suck. Comical, we went from not being able to stop anyone to being a too 20 defense with Manny. Still “fans” **** on Manny no matter what

These are the people who don't understand this D. It's boom or bust. Typically, we either get a TFL or short gain, or put adequate pressure on the QB to force an incomplete. At times, this allows for a big play. Given bias to the negative, everyone focuses on the big plays allowed but not the aggregate of the effort.

Some of you dudes act like Manny invented defense here. That Doritos **** was a very rare blip on the radar here. We killed motherfckers on D since the 80s with the exception of a few years under Booch and the Folden Error. Manny's done a pretty good job with the defense here, but it's not like this program never played much better D.

I'll agree with the matter of the LB's to an extent. Continuity on D in the scheme was important. But let's not act like Shaq and Pinck were some phenomenal backers. The safety play should be much better this year. Starting DT's return. Tandem of Phillips/Roche is probably more talented than Rousseau/Garvin (if not equal).

This year's D should ultimately prove not much better or worse than last year's D.

Now, look at how different the OFFENSE is, and how we played on O last year against them. Based on that, we should hang 100 in this game.
I'm excited to see how our offense can perform when we don't run the same play every down not gonna lie.

Advertisement
I'm excited to see how our offense can perform when we don't run the same play every down not gonna lie.

Why would we do that instead of showing our entire offense in the first game of the season??

Seriously, we saw just a taste of what the O can/will do, especially when Jordan got involved on the TD drive. And the actual playcalling is only a part of the issue -- how is Louisville going to handle the pace the second game of the season after an entire offseason with limited practice?

FYI...this is likely Breonna Taylor week in the ‘Ville. Grand jury proceedings (evaluating police officers’ conduct) commenced last Wednesday. I anticipate True/No True Bills to issue by Tuesday of this week. No to light charges against officers could mean pandemonium next weekend in Louisville. Stadium is no more than 4 miles from downtown. Downtown’s likely to burn down this week if grand jury proceedings go as many expect.

Advertisement
Some of you dudes act like Manny invented defense here. That Doritos **** was a very rare blip on the radar here. We killed motherfckers on D since the 80s with the exception of a few years under Booch and the Folden Error. Manny's done a pretty good job with the defense here, but it's not like this program never played much better D.
Never said he invented D here but we have played good D since he has been here and that’s all that matters

Never said he invented D here but we have played good D since he has been here and that’s all that matters
Overall, he's been good. He's struggled pretty badly against teams with a pulse in the throw game. Luckily we haven't faced too many of those in the ACC. This will be a shootout is my guess. Maybe it won't. We'll see soon.

Got it. So because it’s better than that defense we should chill and be happy and not critique
Got it. So because it’s better than that defense we should chill and be happy and not critique
What is your critique though? Manny’s Defense has been top 20 without a semblance of a complementary offense. What is the critique? We don’t shut everyone out?

Advertisement
Back