The Diaz/Baker haters should be glued this weekend

Advertisement
Big game. Besides Clemson, Louisville is one of the tougher games on our schedule, up there with UNC and VTech. If we win, I can see us winning 9 or 10 games this season, cause I think we're only going to get better as the season goes on.

FYI...this is likely Breonna Taylor week in the ‘Ville. Grand jury proceedings (evaluating police officers’ conduct) commenced last Wednesday. I anticipate True/No True Bills to issue by Tuesday of this week. No to light charges against officers could mean pandemonium next weekend in Louisville. Stadium is no more than 4 miles from downtown. Downtown’s likely to burn down this week if grand jury proceedings go as many expect.

It might also burn if Louisville wins. Because for some reason people in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania love burning their cities down.

Advertisement
I am very, very confused as to how people think this game is that much different than last year, except we had Jarren Williams and not D'Eriq King at QB.

If it's a boat race, I don't see much cause for concern.

We got better on offense. Are they not allowed to be better on defense?

Advertisement
Huge litmus test for the defense this week.

I know this is CIS, so even if we play well on defense and win, we'll still suck....but on Earth, this is a big test for the defense.

Louisville is legit as **** on offense. Against FBS teams, they finished 2019 at #15 in the country in offensive YPP. And they put up 7.75 a play on us last year. This is a very well coached, very talented offense and we're playing in their house.

Will be very interesting to wake up Sunday morning and really digest how well the defense handles them. To me, the magic number is 6.0 YPP. If we hold them under that number, I think it's a win for the defense and I think we have a really good shot to win the ballgame. They were held under that number 4 times last season....Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, and Kentucky. And aside from Mekhi Becton, they return virtually their entire offense, and now have Braden Smith, who signed originally with Mississippi State out of HS and went to Juco last year. He can play.

Bottom line, this is an explosive offense, as we saw last year, and they're probably even better this year.

Diaz and Baker haters are going to be gloating or eating crow on Sunday.
Truth be told weve dominated most outside zone heavy teams we’ve played. Including satterfield system twice

Got it. So because it’s better than that defense we should chill and be happy and not critique

Critiquing is not hating. But criticism is a deliberate act of indicating points for improvement and realistic paths to success that do not directly contribute to a deterioration of successful points.

I have yet to hear much of that on CIS. All I hear is the D is awful because we weren't undefeated. People are hating on the D already this season after allowing all of two TD's, one coming on a very short field. That's hating.

Advertisement
Critiquing is not hating. But criticism is a deliberate act of indicating points for improvement and realistic paths to success that do not directly contribute to a deterioration of successful points.

I have yet to hear much of that on CIS. All I hear is the D is awful because we weren't undefeated. People are hating on the D already this season after allowing all of two TD's, one coming on a very short field. That's hating.
No sounds like you guys think the complaining stems from one game and not Baker since he’s been here. VT, GT, FIU, UNC etc. His situational awareness is bad at times. Telegraphing blitzes. Unnecessarily stunting and slanting the D-Line creating holes for the opposing team. Yes they only gave up two TDs but UAB moved the ball against us during stretches of the game. To their credit the D bent but didn’t break but against better competition that always isn’t the case

Advertisement
No sounds like you guys think the complaining stems from one game and not Baker since he’s been here. VT, GT, FIU, UNC etc. His situational awareness is bad at times. Telegraphing blitzes. Unnecessarily stunting and slanting the D-Line creating holes for the opposing team. Yes they only gave up two TDs but UAB moved the ball against us during stretches of the game. To their credit the D bent but didn’t break but against better competition that always isn’t the case

People had the same complaints about Diaz as a DC, and this thread is about Diaz/Baker haters, meaning "people who don't like what we're doing on D."

I'm thoroughly unsold on Baker, don't get me wrong. But if nothing else, the stats (combined with the ineptitude from the O and ST) at least indicate we're doing things the right way. We've also seen some very good calls on D in key moments during the Diaz era, and have been among leaders in stats like turnovers, tackles for loss, sacks, etc.

I'm not making this argument, but is it possible if we did things differently over the long term, it would adversely impact the D? It's hard to say. While it's fair to state "I'd like to see this or that done better," it's also irresponsible to do so without concurrently acknowledging THE DEFENSE IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

We've seen this D perform at this level without a litany of highly-rated talent. Let's see what happens if we keep recruiting guys like James Williams and Leonard Taylor.

No cap both Miami and UL want to run the football. If both teams do and succeed at it. This game will be hella short with the clock running.

The only way this game gets into 48-50 territory is if both teams are hitting on quick strikes.

But if both teams plan on just running this will be a shorter game than UAB. More 38-35 vibes than 55-45.

Our defense will improve from the UAB game. Louisville has the tools to give them fits, but I have trust in King to vindicate the scores they will give up. Like other people have eluded to, if Jarren could cook that defense, then so can King. Cunningham is turnover prone because he will float up ducks. It's up to the secondary to catch the **** ball if an interception is within their reach. This is where Miami puts their big boy pants on and win a **** game on Prime time television.

Advertisement
Back