The change at DE

There are some great post’s here, but I think we should trust Mario and his staff’s evaluations of the players on the team from last year. I mean, do we really know as fanatics where they truly are in their development because of the previous staph?

Regarding players, we all know who didn’t perform well. No need to name names. Was it their fault? Was it because they weren’t good enough? Miami’s locker room and the team’s culture was a **** show last year. The cat’s been let out of the bag, so now we know.

It’s just my opinion, but I think Miami has plenty of talent on it’s team that needs developing and given a legitimate chance at getting snaps if they’re putting in the work on and off the field. It’s hard to play for coaches you don’t respect.

When playing for your brothers, your school and your city, you still need competent coaches to put you in the right positions to succeed on the field. I think players like Steed, Scaife and Worshom (spelling?) are a perfect example of players that I think will perform at a high level under the new staff.

I think we have to be ALL in on trusting Mario and his staff with evaluations of current players on the rosters and base team needs on those evaluations. We can’t assume the players from last year will play the same under the new staff. Let’s give them a chance to put their best foot forward under the new staff.

Advertisement
D725BDDF-76CE-4CB7-AB5A-8CA0E1E74F2B.png

Gaby continued with this:

-Just my sense and not anything I've been directly told but I'm not sure this staff is afraid to hurt some feelings. I don't think they plan on making any excuses about this being 'Year 1'. They are doing what they can to win immediately and if there is somebody out there they believe can help them do that I believe they're going to explore every avenue.

As an example, I know that Miami is exploring a transfer at a position that from the outside seems locked up but may not be (not quarterback). If they believe there is a guy out there who can help I'm not putting it past them to test the water and then move if they feel like they got a shot.

I am super hopeful Steed and Scaife have breakout seasons. They were two guys I thought would be good. But plan for the worst while hoping for the best and bring in a portal LB and RT to let them battle it out.

We’re only a few spots away from having an ACCCG winner. Can’t rely on promise, need production. If Steed and Scaife are who we hope they are they’ll emerge regardless.

Advertisement
I am super hopeful Steed and Scaife have breakout seasons. They were two guys I thought would be good. But plan for the worst while hoping for the best and bring in a portal LB and RT to let them battle it out.

We’re only a few spots away from having an ACCCG winner. Can’t rely on promise, need production. If Steed and Scaife are who we hope they are they’ll emerge regardless.
scaife has already proven he can be solid. Was the best o-linemen on the team his sophmore year(played RT) and was 2nd team all acc last year. And I think the plan is to have rivers and campbell compete with him

Agude looks the part. At the very least he’s active. You don’t rack up all those tackles and pressures by getting swallowed by offensive linemen. I’m surprised his sack numbers are so pedestrian. It looks like the line is going to be a team effort because besides Leonard Taylor, I don’t see anyone special. It’s clear the staff doesn’t think that these guys were just poorly coached or being used incorrectly by the old staff. You don’t add three (or more) transfers to a position where you believe the talent is good.
I said this prior to Spring practice and got killed for it. Some of these kids don’t deserve a fresh start. They just arent any good even if you bring in top flight coaching.

When I hear sources from everywhere saying we STILL are adding more DEs from the portal...that tell me all I need to know about that DE room. I’m interested to hear what other position groups are put under a heavy microscope as the weeks go on.

But you can be sure that is pretty similar to the target list Mario has:

-MLB
-DE
-DT
-CB
-OT

There is a reason he hired the portal analyst from Michigan State. April will be interesting.
This.

I said this prior to Spring practice and got killed for it. Some of these kids don’t deserve a fresh start. They just arent any good even if you bring in top flight coaching.

When I hear sources from everywhere saying we STILL are adding more DEs from the portal...that tell me all I need to know about that DE room. I’m interested to hear what other position groups are put under a heavy microscope as the weeks go on.
There’s some promise but yeah, it’s clear the coaches don’t have a ton of faith. People here think bringing some different coaches is going to turn a bunch of jags into stars. It’s not that easy. Just another position group that was woefully short on talent.

Advertisement
WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
1T - Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Mitchell Agude/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly

You can play Roberts & Moultrie at DT & if we bring in another Portal DE that could allow Roberts to move back to DT permanently. I actually think we need more help at DT than we do at DE, we have (at least on paper) a feasible pass rush rotation with adding Agude, but at DT we’re banking on Miller, Hunte & Taylor to be the primary guys & if any one of them goes down (knock on wood) we’re fcked.

We need another DE, a DT, a true Mike LB & another CB IMO from the Portal.
We are going hard to fill another DE slot

Gaby continued with this:

-Just my sense and not anything I've been directly told but I'm not sure this staff is afraid to hurt some feelings. I don't think they plan on making any excuses about this being 'Year 1'. They are doing what they can to win immediately and if there is somebody out there they believe can help them do that I believe they're going to explore every avenue.

As an example, I know that Miami is exploring a transfer at a position that from the outside seems locked up but may not be (not quarterback). If they believe there is a guy out there who can help I'm not putting it past them to test the water and then move if they feel like they got a shot.
I feel like receiver is that position we'd be exploring a transfer outside of the obvious ones where we're in need

I feel like receiver is that position we'd be exploring a transfer outside of the obvious ones where we're in need
We should’ve been gunning for a WR from the jump.

Antwane Wells would’ve been perfect for us, I was way higher on him than Ladson.

Deion Smith, Corey Rucker (although he’s heading to South Carolina too) & DeJuan Miller are still available we should definitely be pushing to bring one of those guys in.

I don’t see too many premium WR’s hitting the Portal in April, most good WR’s will be starting already. There may be some smaller school FCS kids that are looking to come up & increase their draft profile, that would be the best option, but this late in the game you’re not going to find too many WR’s that were already productive starters on other P5 teams just deciding to up & leave.

Antwane Wells would’ve been perfect for us, I was way higher on him than Ladson.

Deion Smith, Corey Rucker (although he’s heading to South Carolina too) & DeJuan Miller are still available we should definitely be pushing to bring one of those guys in.

I don’t see too many premium WR’s hitting the Portal in April, most good WR’s will be starting already. There may be some smaller school FCS kids that are looking to come up & increase their draft profile, that would be the best option, but this late in the game you’re not going to find too many WR’s that were already productive starters on other P5 teams just deciding to up & leave.
Can Ruiz just give Boutte from LSU ownership stake in Life Wallet to sign ? I kid..........but seriously

Advertisement

Hey @Liberty City El whats your opinion on the JUCO transfer i think his name is malik benson? Wasnt he a legit speedster with verified track numbers?

Still strange(ly awesome) to read "now it's up to Jason Taylor and crew...".

Advertisement
WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
1T - Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Mitchell Agude/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly

You can play Roberts & Moultrie at DT & if we bring in another Portal DE that could allow Roberts to move back to DT permanently. I actually think we need more help at DT than we do at DE, we have (at least on paper) a feasible pass rush rotation with adding Agude, but at DT we’re banking on Miller, Hunte & Taylor to be the primary guys & if any one of them goes down (knock on wood) we’re fcked.

We need another DE, a DT, a true Mike LB & another CB IMO from the Portal.
We have to build our roster thru recruiting bigger DT like Moten. Just not any DT, DE and LB, to my knowledge, left out there of the quality we moving to.

scaife has already proven he can be solid. Was the best o-linemen on the team his sophmore year(played RT) and was 2nd team all acc last year. And I think the plan is to have rivers and campbell compete with him

I like Scaife, but regardless of his recognition by the ACC last season, I don't think he demonstrated himself an upper echelon run blocker at either OG/OT or edge defender when at tackle. Again, that may all change this year with the increased coaching and improved S&C. But I wouldn't bet the season on it.

Lashlee and Justice slowly built up the line from that disastrous 2019 situation. 2020 was better, and 2021 better still. A line of Nelson, Rivers, Clark, Sagapolu/Oluwaseon, Scaife/Campbell would continue the ascent and be an improvement vs 2021. It's now not a bad line at all. But I don't believe it's good enough to be ACCCG level, much less national championship level, which is where we want it.

Agude looks the part. At the very least he’s active. You don’t rack up all those tackles and pressures by getting swallowed by offensive linemen. I’m surprised his sack numbers are so pedestrian. It looks like the line is going to be a team effort because besides Leonard Taylor, I don’t see anyone special. It’s clear the staff doesn’t think that these guys were just poorly coached or being used incorrectly by the old staff. You don’t add three (or more) transfers to a position where you believe the talent is good.
Yu do if depth is lacking!

Advertisement
Back