The change at DE

I think Steed at MLB with the Smith brothers on the outside is better than people think.
That would be a very solid trio with the potential to get better and better each weak.

So you think Steed at Mike, Chase Smith at Will and Keontra at Sam/Star? I like it. Then have Gil Frierson back up Keontra, Wesley Bissainthe back up Chase Smith with Cave and Flagg battling to be the 2nd string Mike.

What do you think? I like it for starters but we still need a big time infusion of speed, size and talent at the position. If a true starter quality Mike shows up in the portal after spring we must get him.

Still, I really do think that Waynmon Steed will be a comeback player of the year type this season and Chase is going to be a player. Steed may be better at Will with Chase handling Mike for the time being but what the **** do I know anyway?

Last edited:
Advertisement
WDE - Jahfari Harvey/ Antonio Moultrie/ Jabari Ishmael/ Thomas Davis/ Cyrus Moss
1T - Jordan Miller/ Jared Harrison-Hunte/ Allan Haye
3T - Leonard Taylor/ Jake Lichtenstein/ Ahmad Moten
SDE - Mitchell Agude/ Elijah Roberts/ Chantz Williams/ Nyjalik Kelly

You can play Roberts & Moultrie at DT & if we bring in another Portal DE that could allow Roberts to move back to DT permanently. I actually think we need more help at DT than we do at DE, we have (at least on paper) a feasible pass rush rotation with adding Agude, but at DT we’re banking on Miller, Hunte & Taylor to be the primary guys & if any one of them goes down (knock on wood) we’re fcked.

We need another DE, a DT, a true Mike LB & another CB IMO from the Portal.
That depth chart tells me we need another DT. Jake at DT isn’t great…

I think steed will be good MLB and Linebackers are better in this scheme! Harvey needs to be way more consistent and violent and the point of attack! 45 will be deadly if can fix his pad level and hands! I think the young boys will play more during the season and by this time next year we will be good at DE

Advertisement
Real talk. Coaches should have seen enough by now to see we need a lot more help. My order of urgency:
1 MLB
2. 2nd portal CB to go with Porter
3. Run stuffing DT

I personally think we’ve done enough at DE now since so many guys can bump between 3 tech and SDE. And both Agude and Chantz have wheels. Wish Kelly had joined for Spring ball.

Still need an RT on the other side too.

And of course you take an elite kid opportunistically if they want to transfer in, especially at WR.
According to mirabal scaife has looked very good at RT

Just go to the opposing teams fanboards and see what the miles say about them. U will possibly get the truthabout the player. Just my insight.

Advertisement
That depth chart tells me we need another DT. Jake at DT isn’t great…

I think it's contextual.

Thick boys: Jordan Miller, Allan Haye, LT

Slim thick boys: LT, JHH, Lichty

I'm still somewhat appalled about how thin we are at that position. It's surprising.

Maybe Elijah or Moultrie will have to bulk up out of necessity?

According to mirabal scaife has looked very good at RT
Well what do you know...only been saying it for 3 years its his natural spot. Me and Scaife were basically same frame wise as college players and i played out wide at tackle though would be pidgeonholed for the interior due to height....i could never be comfortable inside and they would move me right back outside where i flourished.

Scaife isnt that strong inside...which leads to him over thinking and missing assignments or getting blown up at times..he just has a nice feel on the outside imo

Mario mentioned, I think it was on the nsd presser, that Moultrie would get a look at 3T. I don't understand bringing a portal kid in and asking him to do something different from what made you notice him, but In Mario I trust.
Makes sense on 3rd and longs when you can bring in a situational rusher but I don’t see him there much.

Well what do you know...only been saying it for 3 years its his natural spot. Me and Scaife were basically same frame wise as college players and i played out wide at tackle though would be pidgeonholed for the interior due to height....i could never be comfortable inside and they would move me right back outside where i flourished.

Scaife isnt that strong inside...which leads to him over thinking and missing assignments or getting blown up at times..he just has a nice feel on the outside imo

Agree on your sentiments but wasn’t scaife awful at RT when he played ?

Advertisement
Significantly better than last year.
Even if we don’t get a transfer MLB I I think Canes fans will immediately notice the much improved LB play.
I agree but I think part of that will be better coaching and better scheme. It doesn't hurt that Steed is better than Flagg either.

Agude looks the part. At the very least he’s active. You don’t rack up all those tackles and pressures by getting swallowed by offensive linemen. I’m surprised his sack numbers are so pedestrian. It looks like the line is going to be a team effort because besides Leonard Taylor, I don’t see anyone special. It’s clear the staff doesn’t think that these guys were just poorly coached or being used incorrectly by the old staff. You don’t add three (or more) transfers to a position where you believe the talent is good.

I agree but I think part of that will be better coaching and better scheme. It doesn't hurt that Steed is better than Flagg either.
All of the above (assuming Steed starts in the middle as I’ve been begging for since the end of the season).
You are right that the real question is how much better. And frankly I am cheating because “better” than what we had last year is such an easy prediction even if all that changes is the coaching.
ButI figure even just “better” gets us an extra W somewhere. A lot better is probably worth 2 W’s.

Advertisement
That would be a very solid trio with the potential to get better and better each weak.

So you think Steed at Mike, Chase Smith at Will and Keontra at Sam/Star? I like it. Then have Gil Frierson back up Keontra, Wesley Bissainthe back up Chase Smith with Cave and Flagg battling to be the 2nd string Mike.

What do you think? I like it for starters but we still need a big time infusion of speed, size and talent at the position. If a true starter quality Mike shows up in the portal after spring we must get him.

Still, I really do think that Waynmon Steed will be a comeback player of the year type this season and Chase is going to be a player. Steed may be better at Will with Chase handling Mike for the time being but what the **** do I know anyway?
Agree with all your points. Steed seems like the most instinctive LB and is physical enough to get to the play. Flagg is instinctive and smart but too often a step slow or not strong enough to make the play even if he sees it.
And the Smiths have the speed and playmaking on the outside. Chase flashed at the end of the year when he finally got on the field.
The reasons I prefer Chase on the outside is that he is likely still very slim and I don’t want him dealing with offensive guards. I’d rather give him the freedom to shoot gaps and chase the ball.

in my opinion
we will never be close to where we need to be as a team
until flagg isnt needed to play a single meaningful staff
that guy is comically slow and bad
i still remember kenny picket just pulling away from him like tyreke hill

First known photo of Moultrie in a Miami uniform

10966331.jpg

All of the above (assuming Steed starts in the middle as I’ve been begging for since the end of the season).
You are right that the real question is how much better. And frankly I am cheating because “better” than what we had last year is such an easy prediction even if all that changes is the coaching.
ButI figure even just “better” gets us an extra W somewhere. A lot better is probably worth 2 W’s.
I’ve been saying he same for a couple years now. I’ve told @waynejr31 multiple times in pm and posted it. He’s a very instinctual player , all though not as explosive as he was pre injuries hes a step up athletically from anybody we‘ve had in the middle the last couple years.

Advertisement
Back