The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Well comparing our first 2 years with MC versus FSU with Norvell I'd rather have a 13-1 season than anything MC will likely give us in the next few...
Did you see the first two years of Norvell with FSU?

Advertisement
Feels to me like Mario sees a lot of utility in depth guys / attitude guys in the portal. Obviously he's got some trophies (Cohen, Lee, etc.) but he values veteran grunts, while we as fans look around and see people like FSU adding more top line dudes and rightfully don't understand why we can't do the same thing.
I think it’s difficult to land the top tier transfers being as bad as we’ve been lately. A lot of these more known commodities are going to go somewhere and be properly developed for the NFL. Which makes it no coincidence the only major hits we have are the OL.

I certainly won’t give Mario passes for his failures on the field (we all know what they are/were) nor his seemingly inability to make decisive staff decisions (there very well be some backstories to these situations) but we also can not discount the fact that he walked into a program that was mediocre at best for the past 20 years. 7-5 average wins and losses with some of the most embarrassing losses in program history.

Far too often, “fans” play the shoulda, woulda, coulda cards. Mario can’t change the past and can only change the present and the future. So far with the exception of HS recruiting, Mario’s results are mixed at best. There’s no way in **** Mario isn’t aware of this. If he isn’t, the program is in deep dog doo.

Additionally, that 18 year run we had from ‘83 to ‘01 (excluding 4-5 years due to the Shapiro fiasco), was an anomaly for the Miami football program. Many current Miami “fans” have no clue as to what the football program was prior to 1983.

It’s now been 22 years since our last NC. Taking ALL things into consideration, expecting us to return to that level of competitiveness in 1-2-3 years is a pipe dream and unrealistic.
yeah but there's a BIG gap between 15-0 and 7-6.. it's called 9, 10, 11 wins... nobody expected 15-0 in year 3..

but expecting 9 or 10 wins in year 2 was a very reasonable and fair expectation that he didn't even come close to it...

still holding out hope, but I'm a lot less optimistic that he can get us to a title than when we first hired him...

It was. I think we were in the 40-60 range when we hired Mario and in 2 months he got us in the top 20. With the complete and total lack of juice we had and with Manny;s success in the portal I really wonder if that is where he was planning to attack recruiting. Similar to FSU where we clown there HS recruiting but right now the portal is looking pretty good for them. Would not surprise me if that was the plan looking back and that is where Manny thought resources should be targeted.

I think the issue with the portal is it goes completely against Mario's recruiting strategy. Like if Mario could find a way to have been at the hospital to help deliver Trevor Lawerence as a baby to build a relationship with his parents he would. We have seen him miss on some HS recruits because he wants the players to take other visits, talk with family, visit here with his family, build a relationship etc. The portal to me needs a more used car salesman approach. Quick, high pressure, visit, sign, shut it down. Also when you look at the coaches that have success in the portal (aside from someone like UGA or Bama) guys like Norvell, Manny, Deon, Lane all fit that salesperson persona. I also am not even saying that negatively, it is what it is.
I also think we need to speed up the evaluation process, be more aggressive and spend more money on top tier talent. I believe we are being too cheap at times and missing on a lot of talented kids. This topic is a little frustrating for me.

yeah but there's a BIG gap between 15-0 and 7-6.. it's called 9, 10, 11 wins... nobody expected 15-0 in year 3..

but expecting 9 or 10 wins in year 2 was a very reasonable and fair expectation that he didn't even come close to it...

still holding out hope, but I'm a lot less optimistic that he can get us to a title than when we first hired him...
harbaugh took over a bad michigan team and won 20 games in his first 2 seasons. they also play a more difficult conference schedule wtih an ny6 bowl win.

i think people forget that harbaugh is 100x the coach mario is. he did lead a previously bad niners team to a superbowl and had them contending for one every year but his final one in SF where he wore out his welcome to an extent.

Advertisement

He didn’t come close? Take a knee, don’t turn the ball over and play a QB who doesn’t lose his soul, we win 8-9 easily.

I also think we need to speed up the evaluation process, be more aggressive and spend more money on top tier talent. I believe we are being too cheap at times and missing on a lot of talented kids. This topic is a little frustrating for me.
I know they are willing to spend on certain kids but yes it seems a little scattered on how they arrive there. The eval process is a short way of saying what I was saying. Mario takes time with HS recruits for visits, decision making etc. to really get to know them and their people to make sure they are a good fit. You simply do not have that luxury in the portal and it likely goes against every fiber in Mario's strategy.

Outstanding summary and spot on. It’s an uphill, constant battle no doubt and there’s been more turmoil and average than great going back a very long time.

Anyone who knows Mario knows this is eating him alive and he’s working his *** off to fix it. Doesn’t mean it’s going to happen but it’s not going to fail due to a lack of effort. Given the circumstances my gut tells me he’s changed as a result of how things have gone. Having a blueprint is one thing. Not giving enough autonomy to those you’ve delegated authority to around you is another thing and I think he’s going to adjust. He has to.

Between some mindset and operational adjustments (which were noted and discussed during the exit portion of the season) and the infusion of not stars, but actual functional football talent, I fully expect this to be a double digit win team next year. I thought 6 and 8 were accurate in years 1 and 2 so we will see. The behind the scenes adjustments lend a lot to be optimistic about.
I have no doubt Mario will/can out work anyone. He was facing an uphill battle at best when he came home. Not acknowledging that battle is disingenuous.

I also have no doubt his results of the past 2 years are eating him alive. I sincerely hope he adjusts his leadership approach and like you said, he has to. What he’s done in years 1 and 2 obviously didn’t live up to his standard. It wasn’t all bad. That should be acknowledged as well.

I sincerely want to see Mario succeed not just for himself (as I’m sure he would express as well) but for the overall health of the program.

Not sure everything falls on Zo. Zo and coaches don’t always agree on players. Mario signs off on everyone.

That being said, since Mario has joined us, our portal additions are full of jags. We hit on several but missed on most of them. Something feels off with the portal. That needs to change.
We NEVER go after the establish big name targets at position of need in the portal besides the QB situation with Cam Ward.

Advertisement
harbaugh took over a bad michigan team and won 20 games in his first 2 seasons. they also play a more difficult conference schedule wtih an ny6 bowl win.

i think people forget that harbaugh is 100x the coach mario is. he did lead a previously bad niners team to a superbowl and had them contending for one every year but his final one in SF where he wore out his welcome to an extent.
You’re not wrong, but Michigan faithful wanted him gone after 8 straight years of getting his **** pushed in by OSU.

I honestly thought he was gone 5 years ago.

What is he doing to fix it?

Have you seen his calendar to meet with McDaniel, Saban, any offensive head coach in any league?

How did he fix it fumbling the QB so far? And yes. Adding LilTua is not striking the QB Gold…

Why would anyone that watched us play believe Mario will change when we just watched him pull the same conservative **** with the lead against Rutgers that lost us games for 2 years?

What “behind the scenes” is happening to give us hope? Are they unique to Mario or Miami investing in football?

Working hard doing the wrong thing doesn’t help….
Let me put it this way. When you’re intimately involved in every detail, it’s hard to excel in any detail. I’m not going to get into specifics but he gets it that superseding those you’ve delegated to make decisions too often and for the smallest of things doesn’t work. It doesn’t work for those delegated and it doesn’t work on game day.

And yes it goes beyond just Nick Saban. The guy at this point is all ears I can assure you.

As for the Rutgers game. He trusted his team was going to be able to do what they were capable of doing and just didn’t do. Not sure if you were at the game but JB was about as comfortable as a ***** in the front pew of a church. I suggest you get a hold of an all 22 if you weren’t there. Not saying it was the right approach but when you couple the decisions with the approach to JB it should at least become understandable.

I’m sure you’ve been through enough pain to be entitled to have your opinion. I cast no judgements on you for that. But right now you have a coach who in a dozen years has more conference titles than we have conference championship game appearances/championships in the last 20.

Advertisement

I agree that 15-0 wasn’t even on anybody’s radar (well, except a few maybe LOL). I believe 8 wins was a reasonable expectation for year 2 with 9 or more a bonus. Not hitting 8 was disappointing to say the least.

9 wins this year is the floor. I think Mario is well aware of this thus going all in on Ward. His HS recruiting gives us a glimmer of hope but he’s still got work to do in the portal. I’m trying to remain neutral until I see what takes place in the next couple of months and then obviously what takes place on the field this year.

You’re not wrong, but Michigan faithful wanted him gone after 8 straight years of getting his **** pushed in by OSU.

I honestly thought he was gone 5 years ago.
hes won the last 3 against them, finally getting over the hump, but its important to note that i believe the tide turned when urban left the team to day.

Advertisement
I agree that 15-0 wasn’t even on anybody’s radar (well, except a few maybe LOL). I believe 8 wins was a reasonable expectation for year 2 with 9 or more a bonus. Not hitting 8 was disappointing to say the least.

9 wins this year is the floor. I think Mario is well aware of this thus going all in on Ward. His HS recruiting gives us a glimmer of hope but he’s still got work to do in the portal. I’m trying to remain neutral until I see what takes place in the next couple of months and then obviously what takes place on the field this year.
if he doesnt win 10, he should be on the hot seat but he wont be. you generally know what your coach is after 3 seasons. you dont need more than that to figure it out. as i said, even michigan won 20 games in their first 2 harbaugh years.

He didn’t come close? Take a knee, don’t turn the ball over and play a QB who doesn’t lose his soul, we win 8-9 easily.
Ok. He came close. But fell short because of his known weaknesses.
Gameday coaching
QB management
Not sure that's any better because we haven't really been given any indicator that he's going to get better at those things.

Advertisement
Back