The Bank (1/8)

View as article
I love underdogs. Been one **** near my entire life and was highly successful because NO ONE could/would out work me. I get that vibe with Poff. I’m pulling for the young fella. He may not be the next - you name the highly rated QB - but I think he’ll come in and work his *** off to be the best he can be.

Advertisement
if he doesnt win 10, he should be on the hot seat but he wont be. you generally know what your coach is after 3 seasons. you dont need more than that to figure it out. as i said, even michigan won 20 games in their first 2 harbaugh years.
I’ve said many times there are countless variables in any coaching situation so comparing one to another isn’t really even apples and oranges. Blue blood Michigan has the most wins in CFB history. We’re not even close in comparison - past or present.

Even comparing one HC to another within the same program is apple and oranges at best.

I think that's fair. 10 or better should be the expectation. I also think he has job security as long as he wins 8 or more to show progress.

FWIW, IMO, it would be a a huge opportunity lost if we have to go with Poff as our starter in 2024, because we should have enough talent to make the playoffs with a Taulia level QB or better. But I still think we can pull off 9-10 wins with him. Dawson/Mario will make sure he won't lose games. And if we need him for only a game or two as QB2, we definitely should be getting to 10 wins and possibly make the playoffs.

When you look at the two deep, we're going to be young in spots. But it's essentially Mario's team now, only a handful of pre-Mario left over. And the talent should be more than good enough to win with the schedule we have.
What gives you confidence in the bolded? I’d be happy if Mario made sure Mario didn’t lose him any games

Advertisement
I think that's fair. 10 or better should be the expectation. I also think he has job security as long as he wins 8 or more to show progress.

FWIW, IMO, it would be a a huge opportunity lost if we have to go with Poff as our starter in 2024, because we should have enough talent to make the playoffs with a Taulia level QB or better. But I still think we can pull off 9-10 wins with him. Dawson/Mario will make sure he won't lose games. And if we need him for only a game or two as QB2, we definitely should be getting to 10 wins and possibly make the playoffs.

When you look at the two deep, we're going to be young in spots. But it's essentially Mario's team now, only a handful of pre-Mario left over. And the talent should be more than good enough to win with the schedule we have.
download-2.jpg

How quickly they forget...

Poor kids...

What is he doing to fix it?

Have you seen his calendar to meet with McDaniel, Saban, any offensive head coach in any league?

How did he fix it fumbling the QB so far? And yes. Adding LilTua is not striking the QB Gold…

Why would anyone that watched us play believe Mario will change when we just watched him pull the same conservative **** with the lead against Rutgers that lost us games for 2 years?

What “behind the scenes” is happening to give us hope? Are they unique to Mario or Miami investing in football?

Working hard doing the wrong thing doesn’t help….
Frustrated Head GIF

Advertisement
if he doesnt win 10, he should be on the hot seat but he wont be. you generally know what your coach is after 3 seasons. you dont need more than that to figure it out. as i said, even michigan won 20 games in their first 2 harbaugh years.
You usually know after 2 seasons if they're at that top tier or not... and Mario isn't.

I agree that 15-0 wasn’t even on anybody’s radar (well, except a few maybe LOL). I believe 8 wins was a reasonable expectation for year 2 with 9 or more a bonus. Not hitting 8 was disappointing to say the least.

9 wins this year is the floor. I think Mario is well aware of this thus going all in on Ward. His HS recruiting gives us a glimmer of hope but he’s still got work to do in the portal. I’m trying to remain neutral until I see what takes place in the next couple of months and then obviously what takes place on the field this year.
Episode 2 Wait GIF by ABC Network

Slowdown there fella, what’s this 9 wins talk?? Remember 8 comes after 7

Advertisement
I don’t see how we look at who Mario is TODAY and say he’s better than manny Diaz. I mean that wholeheartedly

Dude, there's no way you actually believe it. And it's such a lazy thought in general. Reading this board sometimes is ridiculous.

Any coach can manufacture 8 or 9 wins in the ACC. It's an absolute fools gold of a conference. Louisville, NC State, Pitt, Duke, UVA...these are all teams with 9+ wins the last few years. But these teams, and the ACC in general, has been in an entirely different stratosphere related to the SEC and now the BIG10.

Do you want to win 8 or 9 games or do you want to compete in the college football playoff? Manny was going to get you 9 win seasons and then get boat raced against any team that was a serious contender because HS recruiting was horrible underneath him. He was NEVER going to beat SEC/BIG10 teams in serious competition. That was your ceiling. That's it.

Mario has a ton of issues as a gameday coach. He has many issues as a CEO. But getting the talent to compete with the SEC and BIG10 is the hardest thing to do on the checklist of things you need and he's awesome at it. Manny wasn't awesome at anything. Without the talent you will hit a wall. Talent alone can get you a 9 win season and the rest of the checklist to elevate you above that is not nearly as difficult to attain. You can win a NC on talent alone, if the pieces fall right.

Will Mario figure it out? I don't know, but I'd rather have loads of talent than have a team that I know can't beat anybody whose serious.

Not sure everything falls on Zo. Zo and coaches don’t always agree on players. Mario signs off on everyone.

That being said, since Mario has joined us, our portal additions are full of jags. We hit on several but missed on most of them. Something feels off with the portal. That needs to change.
Exactly my point. I’m not allowed to blame Mario though

Advertisement
stop it he has some good evals lol
Who do I blame for bringing in Lichtenstein, Sagapolu, Denis (maybe those 3 pre-date Zo?), Ladson, Gore, Campbell, Davis, Harrell, McCormick, Roberts, and Brown?

I’ve heard Roberts and Campbell were all Zo’s diamond in the rough evaluation. Addae doesn’t even trust him because he forced Terry Roberts a spot on the roster lol

Who do I blame for bringing in Lichtenstein, Sagapolu, Denis (maybe those 3 pre-date Zo?), Ladson, Gore, Campbell, Davis, Harrell, McCormick, Roberts, and Brown?

I’ve heard Roberts and Campbell were all Zo’s diamond in the rough evaluation. Addae doesn’t even trust him because he forced Terry Roberts a spot on the roster lol
Buddy they about to pretend Lee and Cohen were All Americans that cover up all the portal misses. I already listed 17 misses in the last 2 years and I was being generous.

It’s been clear as day our portal pickups were terrible. The 2022 haul was an abortion. The 2023 class had some solid talent in it but still way too much filler at positions of need, CB, WR and DT. Slurpers just can’t see it because every guy is the next diamond in the rough, even though the percentages say it’s unlikely. Remember the Gore is a stud posts after he did decent against Temple? They will try to convince themselves of anything.

Advertisement
Back