The Bank (1/8)

View as article
Miami just landed a commitment from Albany QB transfer Reese Poffenbarger. This will raise eyebrows, so let me pass on what I know about the decision:

- Miami will continue to evaluate veteran QBs through the end of this cycle and, if necessary, after spring. Poffenbarger has two years of eligibility, and his addition will not preclude Miami from pursuing another proven arm.

- Poffenbarger led the FCS in passing yards (3,608 yards) and passing TDs (36) while being graded at 2nd in big-time throws by PFF.

- Miami was blown away by his visit this weekend and compared his personality to Baker Mayfield. They also have high grades on his arm strength and athleticism (check his dunking highlights here).

- He measured at 6.05 and 215 pounds on his visit.

- I expect Miami to be aggressive in the Portal over the next two weeks. Positions to watch (along with QB) are safety, WR and possibly RB. This includes players committed elsewhere or about to commit elsewhere. They also will pursue difference-makers in the trenches. The plan is to pay for quality, not quantity. Young players like Rob Stafford and Chris Johnson need snaps. We don’t want to be like FSU where we major in the Portal and minor in HS recruiting.

- With respect to CB Antoine Jackson (ECU/UCF), I'm told Miami passing had nothing to do with his prior decommitment. There were some speed concerns on film. Miami did not have high grades on CB Earl Little and WR Jalen Brown, who went to FSU. There was some interest in Marvin Jones, Jr. but they have others rated higher.

Are you able to answer why Little and Brown did not grade out well? Like Jackson I get, he started at ECU, they could grade his tape and had something to go off of and ultimately questioned his speed for CB and the kid ends up at UCF.

But just a year ago we were on both Little and Brown. Brown I know the staff would have taken him but the consensus seemed to be his beef with other recruits coupled with possibly being overrated. Aside from Earl Little playing a few snaps against MTSU and his dad posting practice clips, what did they have to go off of? Practice reports? Coaches talking about habits at LSU and Bama? Just seems odd to have been recruiting those guys a year ago, they dont play as TF and then a year later we dont have a high grade.

Advertisement
nah Wes committed before Mario officially took over but we know he knew Mario was coming.

little Mario went after hard when he got hired

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-01-09_at_7.47.58_AM.png
    Screenshot_2024-01-09_at_7.47.58_AM.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
It was a confusing timeline with Wes but what I remember was he committed basically right when Mario got here

Advertisement
People bringing up Manny lol…

Yeah, the guy who left the cupboard almost completely bare is the guy we should have kept. The guy who recruited like a 14 year old recruiting a team in PS3 NCAA football would have been a savior if he only had one more season.

I don’t typically unload on others but that schtick is the dumbest ******* thing I’ve been exposed to. It’s almost as dumb as pulling out the VHS tapes to relive Miami’s glory days and act like we’re still relevant.

People wonder if the program is cursed. I believe it is and Manny’s dad, aka the catalyst in the tearing down of the OB, is part of what’s brought that upon us.

Advertisement
On the Ant Jackson & E Little evals, for once I actually agree with the staff.

Both of them were overhyped in HS & don't play nearly well enough in Press Man coverage for them to be trusted to come to Miami & do anything but disappoint. They wouldn't have the surrounding support nor the proper teaching at Miami to elevate our Secondary, they'd basically come here & fit right in with the rest of the question marks & likely wouldn't play all too well.

But as far as not wanting to be like FSU in terms of the approach to the Portal, all I have to say is, if you're betting the house on HS recruiting mostly, you better hit 80-90% Homeruns on your HS evals or else you're fcked.

There's a quite a few teams that have had winning seasons over the last 2-3 years being Portal heavy. Miami is not in position to be picky. But that would only matter if winning was a top priority, but alas...
Now hold on here. I was about roasted off this board for saying this about Jackson 😂😂😂 unreal

People bringing up Manny lol…

Yeah, the guy who left the cupboard almost completely bare is the guy we should have kept. The guy who recruited like a 14 year old recruiting a team in PS3 NCAA football would have been a savior if he only had one more season.

I don’t typically unload on others but that schtick is the dumbest ******* thing I’ve been exposed to. It’s almost as dumb as pulling out the VHS tapes to relive Miami’s glory days and act like we’re still relevant.

People wonder if the program is cursed. I believe it is and Manny’s dad, aka the catalyst in the tearing down of the OB, is part of what’s brought that upon us.
And yet, Manny had a better record than Mario through 2 seasons. What people don't realize is when they hate on Manny they're giving much more ammo to those who want to hate on Mario.

Nobody is saying we should have kept Manny. Actually the opposite. Manny was so bad he needed to be fired. And so far, with way more resources, Mario is even worse.

Last edited:
And yet, Man y had a better record than Mario through 2 seasons. What people don't realize is when they hate on Manny they're giving much more ammo to those who want to hate on Mario.

Nobody is saying we should have kept Manny. Actually the opposite. Manny was so bad he needed to be fired. And so far, with way more resources, Mario is even worse.
The one thing that NO ONE talks about when comparing Mario to Manny, Golden, Richt, Shannon, Coker, or Davis is the different circumstances.

Yes, Mario has unprecedented financial support. Gone are the days where players physically wilted because McDonalds was their meal plan.

However….Mario now has to contend with the transfer portal. Any player disatisfied with PT or NIL can instantly leave. He gets Bain? That’s awesome. But unlike under Manny or the others, if Alabama comes at him with a $2M offer you could see Bain leave. It’s a different world now and it makes apples to apples comparisons to previous regimes less applicable. For instance, I shudder to think how many players would have transferred out of Miami due to NIL or the Shapiro scandal during Al Golden’s time. We might have struggled to field a team.

This isn’t to justify the failure with Ga Tech or the inability to recruit blue chip quarterbacks to date. But just pointing out it is a new world in CFB that we are only just starting to see the ramifications of. 40+ player churn may now become the new norm, and Mario will have to work to keep the blue chips that he has in addition to signing new classes. The other coaches didn’t have that concern.

Maybe TVD wasn't so bad after all
Gotta treat this new CFB layout like NFL FA though. Is there a chance TVD is better than what we have next year? At this moment yes.

But how much better? & what’s the cost?

If Miami had to pay TVD like they did last year for similar results it’s a horrible use of funds. My assumption (just a guess) is he cost UM somewhere in the 800K range last year, if you can get away with paying our starting QB this next season 300K and then have 500K for supporting pieces it might result in better on field product.

Everything needs to be calculated and run like a pro organization now, which is why I still believe Zo is a big piece to the puzzle.

Advertisement
And yet, Man y had a better record than Mario through 2 seasons. What people don't realize is when they hate on Manny they're giving much more ammo to those who want to hate on Mario.

The "first two years" sweepstakes isn't important to anyone except the Mario haters. No one cares about "first two years" when a program needs a complete rebuild. You can have Brady Hoke and his instant success. I would rather have a long-term program.

The "first two years" sweepstakes isn't important to anyone except the Mario haters. No one cares about "first two years" when a program needs a complete rebuild. You can have Brady Hoke and his instant success. I would rather have a long-term program.
well you can ignore the first 2 years if you want, but there are plenty of red flags... I think there are a lot of positive signs for long term success as well (high ranking recruiting classes, player development, changing coaches, albeit slowly, when it was needed). But it's foolish to ignore the red flags from the first 2 years as well. The biggest of which is that we still don't have a long-term solution at QB and no clear plan or path to have one...

Advertisement
The one thing that NO ONE talks about when comparing Mario to Manny, Golden, Richt, Shannon, Coker, or Davis is the different circumstances.

Yes, Mario has unprecedented financial support. Gone are the days where players physically wilted because McDonalds was their meal plan.

However….Mario now has to contend with the transfer portal. Any player disatisfied with PT or NIL can instantly leave. He gets Bain? That’s awesome. But unlike under Manny or the others, if Alabama comes at him with a $2M offer you could see Bain leave. It’s a different world now and it makes apples to apples comparisons to previous regimes less applicable. For instance, I shudder to think how many players would have transferred out of Miami due to NIL or the Shapiro scandal during Al Golden’s time. We might have struggled to field a team.

This isn’t to justify the failure with Ga Tech or the inability to recruit blue chip quarterbacks to date. But just pointing out it is a new world in CFB that we are only just starting to see the ramifications of. 40+ player churn may now become the new norm, and Mario will have to work to keep the blue chips that he has in addition to signing new classes. The other coaches didn’t have that concern.
I agree with that but the portal goes both ways.. if you're good at it you can get your players in more quickly and have earlier, better success due to faster roster turnover... and it affects all teams so that's an equalizer...

the investment from Miami isn't equal, so that's definitely an advantage for Mario over Manny...

well you can ignore the first 2 years if you want, but there are plenty of red flags... I think there are a lot of positive signs for long term success as well (high ranking recruiting classes, player development, changing coaches, albeit slowly, when it was needed). But it's foolish to ignore the red flags from the first 2 years as well. The biggest of which is that we still don't have a long-term solution at QB and no clear plan or path to have one...

Seeing red flags in the first two years is far different than comparing him to a different coach in different circumstances.

No, actually they are. There’s multiple people who have made that point through multiple threads. Not approving of Mario is one thing and a completely valid feeling. Backing the point up with a guy who got the job because his daddy was mayor is another.

A 6 win season with consecutive losses to Duke, FIU, and LaTech. A COVID season of 8-3 where some rosters were down 1/4 of their players depending on the week. And mercifully a final season of 7 wins where 3-4 games could have gone either way. All while losing to 3 in state schools in a 3 year tenure and getting your doors blown off against top competition.

Hating on Manny is not giving more ammo against Mario. As much as I support him and the program, his decisions like not taking a knee or giving PT to a wavering, not fully committed QB as opposed to the guy who got you a win against Clemson are strikes against him.

Manny left a lopsided, JAG filled roster when he got the boot, plain and simple. I believe 24’ will be far better. If it’s not, Mario deserves as much mercy as Manny got.

It was before Manny was fired, but it was after weeks of Mario speculation so it seemed weird. Manny and his supporters used it as ammo that we shouldn't get rid of him because he was still recruiting well.
Recruiting that year was incredibly odd. Only had around 10 guys committed and basically no movement at all once the season started

Advertisement
Back