The ATM (8/4)

Losing him and some other coaches is what gives me a little hope. I don’t think Clemson is at their ceiling any more but they're still very good. They’ll be a top ten team for the foreseeable future. It’s hard to keep landing generational qb’s lol.
I was going to post this, I think the question mark here right now for them is coaching and the turnover they just had. I have very little question about their talent. Just because they finally missed on QB evals the last couple of cycles doesn’t mean the rest of the roster isn’t still elite. On another note, thank god we flipped Ray Ray. That kid would have been a monster for them. Maybe not a first or second round but a kid that would just torn up ACC defenses, and now he is on the good guy’s side.

Advertisement
clemson is still good, but lets not fool ourselves they are not what they used to be. The won close games against fsu, boston college. If we play them last year it would of been close. They lost their oc and dc and QB cant throw and the otherwb is highly rated but no game experience and no lawrence. They will probably beat us at their place ut is see something like 28-21.
I can’t judge them on last year , that’s my point. Most teams can’t win ten games with all the injuries they acquired. The only difference is they don’t have a generational qb. They’re still loaded and deep as anybody.

I like this guy's formula, he explains it at the bottom. What I don't like is people grouping Clemson with Bama etc. As u can see they are closer to us than they are to Bama and UGA. I know people like to use past history as their guiding post. No Clemson doesnt have as much talent as they always had. You could say that on the DL and much of their starters. But its because they don't have all that talent why injuries derailed their season. And why they can't win the ACC with a bum QB. And why I think having a significantly better QB gives as an excellent chance to beat them. Like UNC and Pitt did.

Man will say in one breath ND has a good chance to beat Ohio in Buckeye Stadium, and in the same breath act like we don't have a chance v Clemson. Look at the rosters. Yall don't understand how much having bum coaches have made us look like garbage. But I digress because 20 years and all that.

I like this guy's formula, he explains it at the bottom. What I don't like is people grouping Clemson with Bama etc. As u can see they are closer to us than they are to Bama and UGA. I know people like to use past history as their guiding post. No Clemson doesnt have as much talent as they always had. You could say that on the DL and much of their starters. But its because they don't have all that talent why injuries derailed their season. And why they can't win the ACC with a bum QB. And why I think having a significantly better QB gives as an excellent chance to beat them. Like UNC and Pitt did.

Man will say in one breath ND has a good chance to beat Ohio in Buckeye Stadium, and in the same breath act like we don't have a chance v Clemson. Look at the rosters. Yall don't understand how much having bum coaches have made us look like garbage. But I digress because 20 years and all that.

If you had to set the spread for UM v. Clemson as of today, where would you put it?

Advertisement
I think we could catch Clemson this year. In years past, coaching was the biggest reason we lost. They just confused our guys with alignments and trick plays. Of course that wasn’t the only reason we lost, but it was a big one. I think this year, Miami has a better coaching staff than Clemson top to bottom. I think we play more disciplined and tough and mistake free, so we’ll be in the game throughout.
Venables ate our OCs for lunch

I don’t think he broke a sweat

If you had to set the spread for UM v. Clemson as of today, where would you put it?
I would put it at -7 to Clemson having not seeing any team play yet.

Mind you Texas A&M has #4 overall talent composite and the gap between them and Clemson is almost the gap between Clemson and us. And the A&M spread is -8

Last edited:
Advertisement
You're saying we are only ~4.5 dogs against them on a neutral field? I don't see it. I expect them to be more like an 11 point favorite at home against us.

I’m going off the power ratings I’ve seen and giving the Canes a little bump. No chance it’s 11 imo unless we’re going in there with significant injuries, but anything from 7.5-9.5 wouldn’t surprise me.

9-3 would be the best first year under a new coach matched only by richts first year at 9-4.

I think we win the home games and lose to Clemson and atm.

biggest question mark is how TVD looks under gattis and in year 2 as a starter. hes not surprising anyone this year. if hes the same or better in terms of performance, we hit double digits bc an elite QB can be the diff between an average to above average season and an elite one.

"9-3 would be the best first year under a new coach matched only by richts first year at 9-4."

Dennis Erickson 11-1, national championship
Butch Davis 8-3, Big East champ (self-bowl-ban)
Larry Coker 12-0, national championship

Advertisement
I would put it at -7 to Clemson having not seeing any team play yet.

Mind you Texas A&M has #4 overall talent composite and the gap between them and Clemson is almost the gap between Clemson and us. And the A&M spread is -8
Clemson is currently a better team, the talent composite delta is primarily because 8-4 just signed the GOAT class on paper. Most of that talent won’t be functional this upcoming season.

I actually like our matchup against A&M better than our matchup against Clemson.

Seen several pros give UM a higher power rating than A&M, e.g.,

5049BAA4-EE70-4100-9414-5505FF2AA827.jpeg

Advertisement
Our talent level in comparison to the rest of the ACC should equate to a season with no more than 2 losses. TAMU and Clemson should be the only losses on the schedule.

If we have the coaching staff that’ll win a NC one day they better be able to out coach every other team. We have as much or more talent than all our other opponents.

That’s why the staff is feeling good about this season and it’s why we should also.

Clemson is currently a better team, the talent composite delta is primarily because 8-4 just signed the GOAT class on paper. Most of that talent won’t be functional this upcoming season.
Yet we don't know if Clemson is gonna have a fixed QB room and they have 2 new Coordinators. One being probably the best at his position in the nation. That's a wash

I can’t judge them on last year , that’s my point. Most teams can’t win ten games with all the injuries they acquired. The only difference is they don’t have a generational qb. They’re still loaded and deep as anybody.
well i can judge them on last year, they are definitely tending down; they have excellent front line players, but their depth on defense and offense is not as good as it used to be between 2014 - 2020. teams in the acc have closed the gap because of the portal. clemson losing key depth players and they rarely use portal to bring in players, also losing coaches hurts development of young talented players. In my mind they are still a top 10 team, but not playoff team, if they lose key players like last year we can beat them in november if we stay healthy. Yes, their dline is filthy with murphy, breese, dj and tyler davis,etc. but they are not all world like their 2018 dline with wilkerson,ferrel etc. those guys were all proven seniors. their dline maybe as talented but younger and coming of injuries- not the same dominance.

Advertisement
Back