The ATM (7/24)

View as article
I agreed at first, then thought about it some more and I think a lot of these recruits love the social media buzz.

Yeah, but that's not the concern.

The issue is that a lot of other schools follow these recruits too, so tagging a player is like setting off a strobe light to warn our competitors.

Advertisement
Unless the recruit himself tells someone (handler/friend/family/coach) he's coming, it ain't getting out of our building. I don't care how tasty the sauces some of these guys got. Mario is a vault.

Everything else is just white noise IMO.

Miami writers don't have the teams best interest in mind like an SEC program would. Those are small town fans (often alumni) though. Miami's are people trying to make a name at any cost (LeBatard).

My complaint isn't recruiting nearly as much as in-house. Some stuff should remain private.

Stealing a kids commitment spotlight is just amateur all around. No place for it.
It was a Miami writer who broke the Pell Grant story in the early 1990s.

Advertisement
Well usually the kids travel thursday or friday. It shouldn't be a problem to wait 2 or 3 days for it to happen. We will know soon, especially if the flip candidate is developing fast.

Dont really care about the SECRET visits. And am talking about even after the visit, people saying they cant say anything. Outa mind outa sight.

The flips that usually happen, are usually out in the public while they are committed. Kinsler, public. JJ i dont believe it, but its very public, even Ellis, very open and public. Hayes became public and he apparently shut it down. I dont believe it. Innis who was apparently close to pulling the trigger for us, open and public. McCoy, open and public, Heyward before decommitting. Open and public.

Only one that was kinda under wraps, was Collins, but he had taken a OV and was very close to committing.

So u get the picture , yes its prudent to keep quiet pre visit, afterwards though or these so called secret visitors, no credence

It was a Miami writer who broke the Pell Grant story in the early 1990s.

Yes. Dan LeBatard.

He did that story (and the other ones, such as the one on the small cash pools assembled by Uncle Luke and Randy Shannon for "hard hits") in order to try to turbocharge his run at a job offer from Sports Illustrated.

But LeBatard was never a full-fledged "news guy" who had years worth of breaking stories.

He simply went back to his old UM reporter/Miami Hurricane sports editor notebooks to tell old stories about Uncle Luke on the sidelines. The Pell Grant story grew out of that.

Yes. Dan LeBatard.

He did that story (and the other ones, such as the one on the small cash pools assembled by Uncle Luke and Randy Shannon for "hard hits") in order to try to turbocharge his run at a job offer from Sports Illustrated.

But LeBatard was never a full-fledged "news guy" who had years worth of breaking stories.

He simply went back to his old UM reporter/Miami Hurricane sports editor notebooks to tell old stories about Uncle Luke on the sidelines. The Pell Grant story grew out of that.
So he got a job with SI and then ESPN, and left the program in ruins.

I wonder what would happen if he were in Alabama or Georgia starting out, with the same information today? Would sports media simply laugh at him at say, "We won't touch that!"

Advertisement
You must know Barry Jackson personally **** it's sounds like you know him in a intimate manner. My guy don't compare me to your lover boy Barry Jackson.
Strawberry Fields Fruit GIF by Pog the Frog

Some late-night withdrawals of recruiting news:

- Expect several elite players on campus this weekend, including at least one major name that is being kept quiet.

- Miami continues to evaluate CB Jaylen Heyward (Rockledge). He is expected on campus at some point this weekend.

- OL Eddy Pierre-Louis (Tampa) is another blue-chipper that is expected on campus this weekend. Communication continues to pick up there.

- Despite recent reports linking them to other schools, Miami remains very confident in S Zaquan Patterson (Chaminade) and LB Chris Cole (Salem, VA).

- Miami is working on several committed prospects, including a couple that are not on the radar of Canes fans. One is a flip candidate sooner than later.

- OL Isendre Ahfua (Seattle) is a Miami/TAMU battle.
Good stuff D$ Go Canes 🏈🏈🏈

Advertisement
That’s sound reasoning when dealing with the likes of Taint and the elites. I just don’t think it applies to the likes of UF and FSU who suck just like we do.
It does if they’re willing to pay a kid to not go to an event of ours and even go to theirs instead.

We've had this conversation dozens of times already. Why is this thread such a magnet for people who can't comprehend the big picture?

It is not some PERMANENT secret. We are keeping identities secret for now, at least until they arrive in Coral Gables, because we have had situations in prior years where other schools pay recruits not to come to Miami's event, or to go to another school's event instead.

This isn't "hype". This is just a natural defense against the games that certain other schools play.

The thread is full of unfamiliar log-in names who are fishing for names of recruits. FIGURE IT OUT, people.
Not to mention we watched it literally happen like 5 or 6 times last season, several times finding out because someone leaked it

So it’s not like there isn’t real world evidence this is how Mario operates

This is akin to the “show me on the field” comments. Like hey way to add some ground breaking commentary to it

Advertisement
So he got a job with SI and then ESPN, and left the program in ruins.

I wonder what would happen if he were in Alabama or Georgia starting out, with the same information today? Would sports media simply laugh at him at say, "We won't touch that!"

He actually didn't get a full-time gig with SI, he tried to, but they didn't turn him into a full-time guy.

He also wrote for GQ (I think, or was it Esquire?) and got suspended from that gig for sexist comments.

I would like to think that most "old-line" media (newspapers, magazines, TV networks), in this day and age, wouldn't publish LeBatard's YEARS-OLD gossip...but I wouldn't put it past a website to give that kind of warmed-over-caca a venue for publication.

Yes. Dan LeBatard.

More than LeRetard, there was another wannabe female reporter (a Michigan graduate) who was the main “hard-on” at the MH, wanting to destroy the U. I want to say her first name was Linda, but chances are, I’m off on this. Perhaps someone here can correctly ID her. She never, ever had an article positive about our program.

Update: Her name was/is Linda Robertson. Check out the archives for her articles.

Last edited:
Not to mention we watched it literally happen like 5 or 6 times last season, several times finding out because someone leaked it

So it’s not like there isn’t real world evidence this is how Mario operates

This is akin to the “show me on the field” comments. Like hey way to add some ground breaking commentary to it

We've had this conversation dozens of times already. Why is this thread such a magnet for people who can't comprehend the big picture?

It is not some PERMANENT secret. We are keeping identities secret for now, at least until they arrive in Coral Gables, because we have had situations in prior years where other schools pay recruits not to come to Miami's event, or to go to another school's event instead.

This isn't "hype". This is just a natural defense against the games that certain other schools play.

The thread is full of unfamiliar log-in names who are fishing for names of recruits. FIGURE IT OUT, people.
I have noticed some new accounts on the board lately.

Advertisement
Back