The ATM (5/28)

Advertisement
Different position groups man as you know. OL is one thing. WR and QB recruiting has its own challenges for reasons which have been discussed ad nauseam.

Hopefully Dawson changes things.
Yet we never had a history whatsoever of pulling elite o lineman and we just did it. But yes I agree for QB & WR we'll have to show something after the year we had compounded with a poor recent run of development at those positions. Either way it can and has been shown to be possible.

Yet we never had a history whatsoever of pulling elite o lineman and we just did it. But yes I agree for QB & WR we'll have to show something after the year we had compounded with a poor recent run of development at those positions. Either way it can and has been shown to be possible.
It’s possible that I go through a day on CIS where no one insults anyone too.

It’s also possible that if we had Lincoln Riley as our HC that we wouldn’t have a WR and QB recruiting issue right now. We have an OL guy.

You challenged with: “did history tell you that we’d have a chance with Mauigoa and Samson?”

What’s shown as proven here is that Mario can recruit and sign elite OL. Mario has not shown that he can do that with QBs and WRs yet and that’s on him. Morehead followed up by Gattis did him in… thus far. Dawson can undo that hopefully.

It’s certainly “possible” that top tier elite guys might commit at those positions without seeing things play out on the field.

It’s not likely. I don’t expect Smith or Trader regardless. Go after Wingo.

IMG_1018.gif

Advertisement
History says we aren't getting either of those guys.

Man, erase everything you think you know about "history" because its a new paradigm. This isn't the Larry/Al/Shannon/Manny "cheapskate Blake AD and admin" program we're used to. Mario came in and took our transition class from like 77th to 15th or whatever in weeks. Then he landed a top 7 recruiting class AND a top 7 portal class all while dealing with shedding the dysfunction, reputation, and negativity that's been hanging around our necks for 15+ years. And he pulled all those kids while missing on a few major hires, having massive injuries, and underperforming in year one (all on him of course).

We're not going to win all our battles, and Mario certainly isn't perfect, but lordie, that man can recruit. There will be speedbumps, but never say something is impossible with him. Especially if Shannon and TVD start to light it up in 95 days or whatever. Enjoy the process, enjoy the ride.

It’s possible that I go through a day on CIS where no one insults anyone too.

It’s also possible that if we had Lincoln Riley as our HC that we wouldn’t have a WR and QB recruiting issue right now. We have an OL guy.

You challenged with: “did history tell you that we’d have a chance with Mauigoa and Samson?”

What’s shown as proven here is that Mario can recruit and sign elite OL. Mario has not shown that he can do that with QBs and WRs yet and that’s on him. Morehead followed up by Gattis did him in… thus far. Dawson can undo that hopefully.

It’s certainly “possible” that top tier elite guys might commit at those positions without seeing things play out on the field.

It’s not likely. I don’t expect Smith or Trader regardless. Go after Wingo.

Consider one other thing as well.

When Mario was at Alabama, he was primarily responsible for convincing multiple blue-chip SoFla WRs to make the trek to Tuscaloosa. It sure as **** wasn't Slingblade Billy.

Of course, Alabama was ALABAMA, so that helps. But one interesting parallel is that AT THAT TIME, Bama was laboring against a decades-long narrative that they were a run-first (and second and third) team, and that Alabama was where QBs and WRs went to die (at least since Bart Starr and Joe Namath and Kenny Stabler were roaming the sidelines).

So...I don't know...who knows...but there WAS a point in time when Mario was a part of convincing numerous recruits that Alabama could change decades of tradition, and that they would throw the ball a lot more, and a lot more effectively.

So that's nice...for what it's worth...

What’s the odds - percentage-wise - in your opinion, that either Jeremiah Smith or Jo Jo Trader commits to UM before the 1st snap of game 1 this upcoming season?

Oh, I'm not saying it's before the season. Percentage-wise? MAYBE 10%. But I think they both have interest, and need to see a few games worth of success to get to a more comfortable level.

I just don't give up the game six months in advance. Gonna be some challenges, but it's definitely possible.

Advertisement
Oh, I'm not saying it's before the season. Percentage-wise? MAYBE 10%. But I think they both have interest, and need to see a few games worth of success to get to a more comfortable level.

I just don't give up the game six months in advance. Gonna be some challenges, but it's definitely possible.
Possible if Dawson shows something meaningful on the field.

I still doubt those two in particular which is why I am pushing for Wingo and out of state WRs this go-around.

Just not impressive on tape imo…Heavily overrated by services. With his size he likely would have to play LB at UM and maybe they worry about him in space.
He's 6'1 220 with a 10.9 100. Lmao at "in space"

Willis is is a high school DE that has to move to LB in college and we have failed miserably at that for literally 20+ years, which is why I'd be hesitant on him. He's better than this kid which is hilarious. This really boils down to Columbus ****blowing on the staff's part (Willis is a Palmetto kid)

Yeah, my question is if it’s a pipeline school then why not McGahee and Capers??? Is this kid just such a great guy?
I don’t know mcgahee or capers academic situation but Russell is academically great. I don’t see the Flagg comparison as Russell is versatile and has room to grow physically where as Flagg was maxed out and could only play 1 position. I’m a Mario homer at this point though so I got my blinders on

I don’t know mcgahee or capers academic situation but Russell is academically great. I don’t see the Flagg comparison as Russell is versatile and has room to grow physically where as Flagg was maxed out and could only play 1 position. I’m a Mario homer at this point though so I got my blinders on
Flagg showed high football IQ in HS. It doesn’t seem to have progressed and he had limitations. @Ricaneswag aka Dwinstitles flagged him as a run of the mill guy (jag) who wasn’t fast enough sideline to sideline. I remember it. He was a good Cane and a good teammate.

I didn’t support it before he committed, but regardless, I don’t care about us taking Russell if we’re talking in the context of Stone, Scott and/or other top guys jumping onboard.

Advertisement
Flagg showed high football IQ in HS. It doesn’t seem to have progressed and he had limitations. @Ricaneswag aka Dwinstitles flagged him as a run of the mill guy (jag) who wasn’t fast enough sideline to sideline. I remember it. He was a good Canes and a good teammate.

I didn’t support it before he committed, but regardless, I don’t care about us taking Russell if we’re talking in the context of Stone, Scott and/or other top guys jumping onboard.
Youi build the relationship with the HS, surround him with dogs and if he leaves you burn no bridge. Maybe its something they are working on for a future prospect who knows.

He's 6'1 220 with a 10.9 100. Lmao at "in space"

Willis is is a high school DE that has to move to LB in college and we have failed miserably at that for literally 20+ years, which is why I'd be hesitant on him.

You basically said what I said

Advertisement
But I think they both have interest, and need to see a few games worth of success to get to a more comfortable level.
I wonder when people start realizing that recruiting is done when the players have actually stepped foot on campus as freshmen.

Before that I don't give too many *****.

Agreed.

Mario is just different in that regard. I remember last year when Acheampong committed to Michigan and some folks were like whelp the momentum is done now. We saw how that ended

Advertisement
Back