The ATM (5/28)

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
The Bank is closed on holiday weekends, but the ATM is open. Here are some quick hitters as we approach the biggest recruiting month in years:

- The story with the Daylen Russell commit is simple. He is a highly productive, high academic kid from a school that is very important to this staff and the program as a whole. We are building a foundation of high-character local kids to support the blue chippers. Russell has always been a target (I personally saw him on our board back in February) and his commitment is completely independent of our pursuit of big-ticket defensive linemen. We have a long list of "Plus Ones" that we are taking independent of numbers and will recruit vigorously. This list includes Marquise Lightfoot (Chicago), Justin Scott (Chicago), David Stone (IMG), Artavius Jones (Panhandle), LJ McCray (Dayton Beach), Jericho Johnson (San Francisco), Dylan Stewart (DC) and Jordan Thomas (Bergen County, NJ). Miami is heavily in pursuit of all of those guys and has serious traction with several of them. June will be one of the biggest months in Miami recruiting history.

- One name that Miami loves who is not talked about enough is DL Wyatt Gilmore (Minneapolis). Gilmore fits the profile of guys who go in the first round every year- multisport, two-way Midwest kid with a high motor and outstanding measurables (6'4, 4.75 and 35 vertical).

- Miami remains firmly in the CB Ellis Robinson (IMG) sweepstakes. That smoke is real but there is a long way to go.

- While there is a lot of talk about defensive players, we remain on the hunt for several big-time offensive players. Some names that were mentioned to me- RB Kevin Riley (Tuscaloosa), WR Tank Hawkins (IMG), WR Jeremiah Smith (Chaminade), TE Caleb Odom (Atlanta) and WR Ryan Wingo (St. Louis).

- Miami really likes recent JUCO offer CB Demetrius Freeney. He is eligible to play this year and is a HS QB with offers and a qualifying score out of school. Good size (6'1, 185), good speed (11.00 100M) and the athleticism from playing offense his whole career. Miami's staff has significant ties with his head coach and he will visit next week.

- It looks like all of our 2023 signees are on track to qualify. This is big news, especially since there were some transcript issues with Frankie TInilau.

Advertisement
Advertisement
You hit on something I've been thinking about regarding Daylen Russell. I think that with Mario's very obvious goal of making our recruiting more national, there is also a very intentional effort to take Dade and Broward players with elite production, regardless of measurables. I think it probably helps preserve relationships with HS coaches while also raising the bar for takes.

Someone mentioned Russell being a Corey Flagg-esque take (elite HS production without necessarily having the measurables to project stardom at the next level). Well Corey Flagg is a good player to have in a program! But you shouldn't be going to Texas to get them and they shouldn't ever be put in a position where you need them to see PT as freshmen. But Corey Flagg from an elite local program who's the 4th LB in the class? Those guys are floor raisers and necessary for this program to take the next step.

I'm cool with the Russell take because for the first time in forever I genuinely believe that if he sees PT here it'll be because he worked his *** off to earn it and beat out other very good players, not because he won a war of roster attrition and was the only guy with his head on straight at practice. But we will see.

June will be one of the biggest months in Miami recruiting history.
Second person now to say this (Flo was the first I saw). Plus we Gaby tweeting this

Seems like something big is about to go down in June/July

Something Big Lets Get Real GIF by ALLBLK

Advertisement
Advertisement
You hit on something I've been thinking about regarding Daylen Russell. I think that with Mario's very obvious goal of making our recruiting more national, there is also a very intentional effort to take Dade and Broward players with elite production, regardless of measurables. I think it probably helps preserve relationships with HS coaches while also raising the bar for takes.

Someone mentioned Russell being a Corey Flagg-esque take (elite HS production without necessarily having the measurables to project stardom at the next level). Well Corey Flagg is a good player to have in a program! But you shouldn't be going to Texas to get them and they shouldn't ever be put in a position where you need them to see PT as freshmen. But Corey Flagg from an elite local program who's the 4th LB in the class? Those guys are floor raisers and necessary for this program to take the next step.

I'm cool with the Russell take because for the first time in forever I genuinely believe that if he sees PT here it'll be because he worked his *** off to earn it and beat out other very good players, not because he won a war of roster attrition and was the only guy with his head on straight at practice. But we will see.
That was me on Corey Flagg before the commitment. I made my observations before the commitment and said I’d welcome the kid and pull for him upon committing.

Myself and others - including d$ who said he had some of the same questions as us - didn’t understand the interest as he wasn’t matching up with the measurables. D$ got the explanation and provided it here.

It doesn’t matter either way - once a kid commits, I’m going to wish for his best success.

The Russell take reminds me of the Haye take. Decent player, good kid, most importantly THE SCHOOL. Continues the established pipeline with Colombus just as Haye “did” with Chamimade. Btw, I don’t like that approach. But it is what it is.
Yeah, my question is if it’s a pipeline school then why not McGahee and Capers??? Is this kid just such a great guy?

Advertisement
Yeah, my question is if it’s a pipeline school then why not McGahee and Capers??? Is this kid just such a great guy?

And since we have months to discuss things before the season… What is the pipeline? How does the pipeline compare to other SFL pipeline schools?

Advertisement
Back