The 2015 Arkansas Offense

They were 39th in S&P in 2016, then 43rd in 2017. That's good for a team with some of the worst talent in its conference. The coach that followed him (Chad Morris) installed the Clemson offense and promptly dropped to 97th.

I'm very encouraged by what Enos did at Arkansas. I don't like what he did at CMU. But the most important thing to me is the market. The best teams wanted him. Other coaches (including people I talk to directly) say he's the real deal. The improvement at QB coach alone should make a huge. We go from Jon Richt to a guy handpicked by Saban to develop QB fundamentals.

He's had 1 good offensive year in the 8 years he was either HC or OC. That isn't encouraging at all.

Here's his hand picked offense at CMU

Advertisement
His offense got worse as the talent got worse. Bilema was a HORRIBLE recruiter. His teams did give teams with more talent fits. Arkansas played Auburn, Texas A & M, and LSU tough.

Full Stats with amount of plays run per game as HC at CMich (showing he doesn't run tempo at all)

Total offense (Yards per Play)-- Total plays
2010: 49th (69th)--61st
2011: 57th (38th)--107th
2012: 64th (29th)--98th
2013: 110th (80th)--121st
2014: 70th (53rd)--77th

2015: 29th (12th)
2016: 54th (46th)
2017: 94th (67th)

A huge mediocre burger.

Each year his Offense got worse. Very concerning.

Here's his hand picked offense at CMU

I already said his CMU record gives me pause. The good thing is that he did much better once he started working with SEC athletes.

That's probably why the two best teams in the SEC wanted to hire him.

I already said his CMU record gives me pause. The good thing is that he did much better once he started working with SEC athletes.

I'd rather get a coach that does more with less. You keep talking about him needing talent. Give me a guy that succeeded everywhere he went. That consistently got better with whatever he was given. Yost, Briles, a Frost-type, a guy like Dino Babers. Guys who succeeded and elevated the players everywhere they went. Not some slapdick who fell into talented players one year and managed to do good with those players for one year. 3/4 of his resume is a sh't pile but I'm supposed to just gloss over that?

Advertisement

But the MAC goes against the MAC. You act like he was at Boston College having to play against the southern based ACC teams.

He had more than enough athletes to run whatever scheme he wanted relative to the athletes he was facing on a weekly basis. It hasn't stopped any other MAC teams from running successful schemes. I've seen enough of Toledo's offensive scheme to last me a while.

I think he will run what bama used ths season. Diaz saw that a pro-style offense trying to use the power run game doesn't work here.

But the MAC goes against the MAC. You act like he was at Boston College having to play against the southern based ACC teams.

He had more than enough athletes to run whatever scheme he wanted relative to the athletes he was facing on a weekly basis. It hasn't stopped any other MAC teams from running successful schemes. I've seen enough of Toledo's offensive scheme to last me a while.

He should've done better there. I'm worried about that.

But it's a different game in the MAC. We are trying to play big boy football and it's encouraging that (1) he built an elite offense in the SEC; and (2) the biggest teams on the block wanted Enos.

You can see the parallels to the 2015 Arkansas roster. Jordan and Mallory are Henry and Sprinkle, Dallas and Cam'Ron are like Collins and Williams, etc. They had a big line, but we have some highly rated behemoths like Donaldson and Reed. If our QB makes the dramatic improvement that Brandon Allen made, we could be cooking.

Advertisement
I think he will run what bama used ths season. Diaz saw that a pro-style offense trying to use the power run game doesn't work here.
I'm sure the system will have similar concepts. He seems smart enough to adapt to personnel, which is extremely important. He's not going to run the same exact Arkansas offense here, it just wouldn't made sense. I'm sure that he and Manny discussed that.

I'd rather get a coach that does more with less. You keep talking about him needing talent. Give me a guy that succeeded everywhere he went. That consistently got better with whatever he was given. Yost, Briles, a Frost-type, a guy like Dino Babers. Guys who succeeded and elevated the players everywhere they went. Not some slapdick who fell into talented players one year and managed to do good with those players for one year. 3/4 of his resume is a sh't pile but I'm supposed to just gloss over that?
you could just stop btching. You have no idea whether he will be good here or not , no idea what he plans on running or not.

At this point you’re complaining just to complain because the fact of the matter is we just had Richt and his unqualified assistants running the offense and QBs and now we have the OC two playoff teams clearly wanted , and a proven QB coach . I’m sure he articulated to Manny what he wanted to do on offense and Manny would not have hired him if that didn’t fit his goals . You think Manny will discuss what he wants to do on offense with the ESPN Gameday crew but not with his potential hires ? FOH with all yal thinking you know more than ANY coach at this level

I'd rather get a coach that does more with less. You keep talking about him needing talent.

We are trying to compete at the highest levels. You need talent to win rings. When Enos had 6th/7th round talent, he built a Top 5 offense. We can give him that and more.

Advertisement
We are trying to compete at the highest levels. You need talent to win rings. When Enos had 6th/7th round talent, he built a Top 5 offense. We can give him that and more.
I know we need talent to win wings. We also need to beat other talented teams to win wings. So when talent is equal, who wins in the end? Teams with a schematic advantage. Enos' history doesn't lead me to believe he'll bring a schematic advantage to the table.

Why are people mad about this hire?

These mofos oops I mean so called Miami fans are going to criticize every hire we make no matter who it is. They would criticize and complain if we were getting new ball boys because they are experts and no all the names we should be getting. Smh I wish they would go be a fan of another team.

Advertisement
This is what we are hoping for. That is Dan Enos's first year at Arkansas. They were the 4th best offense in the country according to Football Outsiders. Brandon Allen went from 71st in passer rating to 6th.

That was also the last year they had some legit NFL talent. That team had two NFL running backs in Jonathan Williams (5th) and Alex Collins (5th). They also had two NFL TEs in Hunter Henry (2nd) and Jeremy Sprinkle (5th) and featured them heavily. None of their receivers were very good.

The talent fell off a cliff after 2015, and the offense was decent but not great after that (39th and 43rd per FO). The year after Enos left, they fell apart and dropped over fifty spots to 97th in the country under former Clemson OC Chad Morris.

It's a surprising hire. Alabama and Georgia wanted this guy and his reputation among SEC coaches is strong. But he is a pro style guy. My hope is that he takes our offensive talent (which is better than 2015 Arkansas) and gets the same elite results.

Here he is against Manny Diaz:

More importantly...
With 1 month to prepare for a Bud Foster defense, here he is (Same year):
Edit: This is year 2 of Enos, not Year 1 my bad

Last edited:
I know we need talent to win wings. We also need to beat other talented teams to win wings. So when talent is equal, who wins in the end? Teams with a schematic advantage. Enos' history doesn't lead me to believe he'll bring a schematic advantage to the table.

Exactly.
You always start from the position: If I had NO idea what kind of talent I was going to get, what offensive scheme would I ideally choose? The answer is of course the system that best mitigates a lack of talent.

Would anybody actually choose the scheme Enos runs if you didn't know what talent you were going to get? Would it even be in your Top 5 choices?

Advertisement
Back