The 2015 Arkansas Offense

You are approaching it as if it’s simply a decision to recruit nationally and then magically have a good OL. I’m looking at the reality of how hard it is to land elite offensive linemen nationally, even 2 or 3, let alone the 5-6 a year it takes to maintain what those programs do on offenses. You cannot just say “herp derp we are now recruiting nationally and good at OL”, snap your fingers, and make it so. Last comment from me to you - if you think that model is best for us, go crazy. I disagree. We’ve had average to ****** OL for most of the last 30 years. Maybe this time’s the charm and Jaromir Jagr from CanesInSight has the solution figured out. I suggest that it’s not as easy as “recruit nationally”. Have a good day.

But it's okay for you to present your opinion as though you know more than Manny Diaz and Kirby Smart. How stupid are those guys for not adopting a Briles offense?

Advertisement
This is a very good hire. If Saban wanted him, he must be highly competent and professional. Forget what he did in prior stints (like under Bielema -- who favored a power running game like Wisky) as it isn't relevant. He was told what to run in those situations.

Let's hope he shares the same basic philosophy as Manny (he wants to attack the defense and keep them off balance) and he will then implement schemes that best utilize the talent we have.

Miami has had many great players on OL. McKinnie is by far not the only one. We can also recruit effectively nationally, if we start winning big again. Miami has a tremendous national brand. There is a reason the U 30 for 30 was the highest rated of all of them and many Canes games (Miami vs ND and Miami vs FSU) are among the highest rated CFB broadcasts of all time.

Let's get behind Enos and see what he has. Denigrating the hire straight off the bat is ridiculous. Let's get some positive mojo going on here. Our defense will be very good next year. We are using the Portal really well. We just landed a quality WR. We may land some seasoned QBs. Bolden looks like a really good pick-up at DB. Manny is making a ton of great moves and showing himself to be a super high energy guy. Let's get behind that as it will help recruiting, bringing quality transfers etc. I'm impressed by what I've seen from Manny so far.

Swag, people I trust tell me he’s the goods. I’m talking coaches who aren’t afraid to crap on frauds.

I get the concerns but I’m trusting the people in the know on this one.

My friends whose families are big Bama boosters/Tide Pride said the same. The text I got back from one friend read:

"****! Y'all got him? He's our best ******* coach."

Advertisement
But it's okay for you to present your opinion as though you know more than Manny Diaz and Kirby Smart. How stupid are those guys for not adopting a Briles offense?

I think that model is great for Georgia, so referencing Smart is asinine. Major Applewhite would rape me in a chalk talk but I wouldn’t have hired Mark Donofrio to run my defense. The human/philosophical side of football has made idiots out of many Xs and Os geniuses.

Another glaring contradiction.....

All year long it was Searles fault. Now that we need our OL to be better? Nah, we just can't get good O-linemen no matter how hard we try.

I think that model is great for Georgia, so referencing Smart is asinine. Major Applewhite would rape me in a chalk talk but I wouldn’t have hired Mark Donofrio to run my defense. The human/philosophical side of football has made idiots out of many Xs and Os geniuses.

Referencing Smart isn't asinine when your buddy specifically said that Smart could and should have a better offense. You realize I was quoting him, right? Threads can be like Calculus to follow.

No offense but I hate that mindset. We have sucked for a long time relative to our talent. When we were good we were either innovative (especially on defense in the 80s) or had the best players (Butch/Coker). Dade/Broward kids are giving us the stink face left and right, we better figure out how to have a schematic advantage again at some point.

None taken. Remains to be seen whether Enos is an innovator. JJ was innovative on defense, didn't do much differently on offense. Erickson was innovative on offense. Diaz seems like an innovator (adding striker, making Miami a top D).

Diaz is also a sabermetrics guru, and my suspicion is he is going with an offense that statistically is shown to have the highest probability for success.

Advertisement
Also add in what he learned at bama....I'm sure that experience took his coaching to another level....

This is what we are hoping for. That is Dan Enos's first year at Arkansas. They were the 4th best offense in the country according to Football Outsiders. Brandon Allen went from 71st in passer rating to 6th.

That was also the last year they had some legit NFL talent. That team had two NFL running backs in Jonathan Williams (5th) and Alex Collins (5th). They also had two NFL TEs in Hunter Henry (2nd) and Jeremy Sprinkle (5th) and featured them heavily. None of their receivers were very good.

The talent fell off a cliff after 2015, and the offense was decent but not great after that (39th and 43rd per FO). The year after Enos left, they fell apart and dropped over fifty spots to 97th in the country under former Clemson OC Chad Morris.

It's a surprising hire. Alabama and Georgia wanted this guy and his reputation among SEC coaches is strong. But he is a pro style guy. My hope is that he takes our offensive talent (which is better than 2015 Arkansas) and gets the same elite results.

Here he is against Manny Diaz:

Wow what a game... I love how he utilizes his TEs, and he seems to have a good grasp on how much of Diazs defense his OL can handle. We will certainly need our QB to be able to scramble with the OL we have in place, but if whomever our QB is can develop decent throwing on the run, I'm excited!

Does anybody have any idea what kinda offense he ran as HC at CMU? I would think the problems at Arky was Hog Belima Desire to micro manage the offense and play smash mouth. Also im not gonna overlook the fact that we may have brought in a good developer of QBs. That's our biggest problem for years.

Referencing Smart isn't asinine when your buddy specifically said that Smart could and should have a better offense. You realize I was quoting him, right? Threads can be like Calculus to follow.

No idea who my buddy is that you’re referencing. Also this intellectual angle you keep trying to sell for yourself is the message board equivalent of being one of the marks they bring on stage to intentionally suck the first few weeks of American Idol, except you’re genuinely selling it and not in on the joke.

Advertisement
No idea who my buddy is that you’re referencing. Also this intellectual angle you keep trying to sell for yourself is the message board equivalent of being one of the marks they bring on stage to intentionally suck the first few weeks of American Idol, except you’re genuinely selling it and not in on the joke.

You quoted my response to someone else, a person who brought up Kirby Smart, then questioned why I would mention Kirby Smart. Message boards can be confusing.

Don't think for a second that I don't love the fact that you had to abandon the topic. Jagr for another win.

@DMoney, do you think we go after/land Jalen Hurts? And if so, is Martel the backup (literally) because I expect Perry and Williams to bolt.
YES, and Yes. Both Qbs. Hurts now, Martell to follow, keep Williams, he can only benefit. Kosi gets gone.Competion is the great equalizer, settles the questions, Big Dog bites first, and last.Get and keep them all.🙌🏿

Advertisement
The fact that UGA and Bama wanted this guy, is why we shouldn't.

I don't want to do what Kirby Smart wants to do on offense. I don't want to slow the game down. I don't want to refuse to use motion. I don't want to have to out talent the other teams.

Having to point to the year where Ark had a bunch of NFL talent, to show where his scheme had success, is the exact problem.

UGA has a fabulous offense. I saw just about every formation in that game and I can see why Manny waited for him. If that can be sped up with formation shifts we'd have a high-quality offense and be looking for another OC in a year or two. Hopefully Manny stacks Applewhite.

UGA has a fabulous offense. I saw just about every formation in that game and I can see why Manny waited for him. If that can be sped up with formation shifts we'd have a high-quality offense and be looking for another OC in a year or two. Hopefully Manny stacks Applewhite.

What is it that you like about what Chaney does, schematically? What do you think he does a really good job of putting pressure on the defense and putting them in tough spots to defend?

Advertisement
Back