Thank you Butch Davis

Advertisement
I think we need a CIS Cage Match, CaneInOrlando vs. 15-0BRO!!!!!!!. Let's set it up.

I got Orlando smashing the 15-0 water head into submission 37 seconds into Round 1.
You’re in there too with the New Three’s Company.
AEC35547-E69C-461F-8202-99E36BC0B546.gif

Moar Mayhem!

Advertisement
How about a little bit of facts thrown into this thread, since it's now "Butch is Gawd" brigade vs "Manny cannot be criticized" apologists.

Butch Davis
Career record at UM: 51 wins, 20 losses (6 seasons). 4-0 in bowl games. Should have been 5 bowl games, but served one year bowl ban (1995) due to NCAA sanctions that were levied at end of that season. One losing season (1997, 5-6 record). Never lost to a team with a losing record. Built the best college football team and collection of NFL talent of all time and it's not arguable.

Manny Diaz
Career record at UM: 14 wins, 10 losses (2 seasons). 0-2 in bowl games. Only bowl team to be held scoreless in 2019 bowl season. One losing season (2019, 6-7 record). Lost 3 games to teams with losing records (all in 2019)

Butch's knock against him was that he was bad game day coach and was 1-5 against FSU and 1-5 against V-Tech. While certainly frustrating to lose to our rivals, those FSU and V-Tech teams were loaded and typically finished those seasons in top 20 (FSU in top 3). While not the best game day coach, he did improve and was solid before he left UM for the NFL. Butch also had to deal with loss of scholarships early in his career. Butch had some bad losses and some great wins.

Manny has already had some very, very bad loses. He did show improvement from his first season and seems to making progress in finding the right coaches for his staff. Manny is also a monster in the portal. He is the off-season champ. Hard to argue that. Unlike Richt and Golden, Manny got rid of his buddies that were just horrible coaches.

Winner: Butch Davis by a mile. However its a little unfair to compare the two coaches with Manny only having 2 seasons under his belt. The jury is still out on him, as well it should be.

So, for the "Butch is Gawd" brigade, I think Manny needs to be given more time before he is written off. This 2021 might be the make or break season for me. I have my expectations of how this team should perform. He needs to be given credit for the moves he is making. Lets hope it transfers into wins.

And for the "Manny cannot be criticized" apologists, please give credit to Butch for what he did for UM. Saying that he never won anything is just absurd and inaccurate. He's not the greatest college coach ever, but he was definitely up there in the upper echelon of coaches for a while. Yes, he's definitely past his prime now, but he had the "it" factor and that needs to be recognized and acknowledged.

How about a little bit of facts thrown into this thread, since it's now "Butch is Gawd" brigade vs "Manny cannot be criticized" apologists.

Butch Davis
Career record at UM: 51 wins, 20 losses (6 seasons). 4-0 in bowl games. Should have been 5 bowl games, but served one year bowl ban (1995) due to NCAA sanctions that were levied at end of that season. One losing season (1997, 5-6 record). Never lost to a team with a losing record. Built the best college football team and collection of NFL talent of all time and it's not arguable.

Manny Diaz
Career record at UM: 14 wins, 10 losses (2 seasons). 0-2 in bowl games. Only bowl team to be held scoreless in 2019 bowl season. One losing season (2019, 6-7 record). Lost 3 games to teams with losing records (all in 2019)

Butch's knock against him was that he was bad game day coach and was 1-5 against FSU and 1-5 against V-Tech. While certainly frustrating to lose to our rivals, those FSU and V-Tech teams were loaded and typically finished those seasons in top 20 (FSU in top 3). While not the best game day coach, he did improve and was solid before he left UM for the NFL. Butch also had to deal with loss of scholarships early in his career. Butch had some bad losses and some great wins.

Manny has already had some very, very bad loses. He did show improvement from his first season and seems to making progress in finding the right coaches for his staff. Manny is also a monster in the portal. He is the off-season champ. Hard to argue that. Unlike Richt and Golden, Manny got rid of his buddies that were just horrible coaches.

Winner: Butch Davis by a mile. However its a little unfair to compare the two coaches with Manny only having 2 seasons under his belt. The jury is still out on him, as well it should be.

So, for the "Butch is Gawd" brigade, I think Manny needs to be given more time before he is written off. This 2021 might be the make or break season for me. I have my expectations of how this team should perform. He needs to be given credit for the moves he is making. Lets hope it transfers into wins.

And for the "Manny cannot be criticized" apologists, please give credit to Butch for what he did for UM. Saying that he never won anything is just absurd and inaccurate. He's not the greatest college coach ever, but he was definitely up there in the upper echelon of coaches for a while. Yes, he's definitely past his prime now, but he had the "it" factor and that needs to be recognized and acknowledged.
Butch's sanctions weren't levied at the "End" of 95....he lost 10 schollies at the beginning of 95 right off jumpstreet....as far as a Bad game day coach....looked pretty **** good whipping Beamer in 2000...and Defending NC FSU the same yr....and lets not forget him Smashing Game Day God Spurrier in the mouth in 2001....

Butch's sanctions weren't levied at the "End" of 95....he lost 10 schollies at the beginning of 95 right off jumpstreet.
My memory is a little fuzzy, but didnt Davis take the job with Miami already under the "the hammer is gonna fall" cloud?

From day one, he was just waiting to see how bad the sanctions were going to be? Do I have that right?

Meanwhile in Tuscaloosa they were doing blow off the asses of strippers paid for with tax payer funds.... (I kid I kid... do I though?)

oh... and...

BUTCH DA GAWD bîtches

My memory is a little fuzzy, but didnt Davis take the job with Miami already under the "the hammer is gonna fall" cloud?

From day one, he was just waiting to see how bad the sanctions were going to be? Do I have that right?

Meanwhile in Tuscaloosa they were doing blow off the asses of strippers paid for with tax payer funds.... (I kid I kid... do I though?)

oh... and...

BUTCH DA GAWD bîtches
Nobody wanted the job in America...bottomline is...He gave the NCAA the ultimate Middle finger in 2000...and some yrs after that....

Advertisement

Butch Davis

Manny Diaz

Wut?

Why are you comparing Butch to some mediocre first time coach?

The only coaches that can be named in the same breath as the great one are Saban, Meyer, Bryant and Swinney.

Howard HATED the BOT....Left for more $$$$$$....Gets Pass
JJ HATED the BOT.....Left for more $$$$$$.....Gets Pass
Butch HATED the BOT.....Left for more $$$$$$.....Gets Hammered....Lol.....Seems to me the problem has been the BOT over the course of 37yrs.....

People also forget that Butch was the main recruiter and talent evaluator for JJ at Miami and at Dallas. He had an eye for talent unlike anyone I’ve ever seen. Bama has an army of talent evaluators and they just grab 5* kids and kick the ones who don’t pan out. Butch could for example spot the the two star HS fullback and turn him into the most decorated linebacker to ever play college ball. That was his strength. And he had a talent for picking out assistants as well. Look at what some of his guys did.

Advertisement
People also forget that Butch was the main recruiter and talent evaluator for JJ at Miami and at Dallas. He had an eye for talent unlike anyone I’ve ever seen. Bama has an army of talent evaluators and they just grab 5* kids and kick the ones who don’t pan out. Butch could for example spot the the two star HS fullback and turn him into the most decorated linebacker to ever play college ball. That was his strength. And he had a talent for picking out assistants as well. Look at what some of his guys did.
Stop it with these Plethora of facts....

Butch's sanctions weren't levied at the "End" of 95....he lost 10 schollies at the beginning of 95 right off jumpstreet....as far as a Bad game day coach....looked pretty **** good whipping Beamer in 2000...and Defending NC FSU the same yr....and lets not forget him Smashing Game Day God Spurrier in the mouth in 2001....
You might be right about the sanctions. I thought I had read an article where they started after the 95 season, but that might be wrong. Regardless, we lost 24 scholarships over a 2 year recruiting period. That is enough to cripple most programs for a while. What Butch did was remarkable, especially considering Erickson left the cupboard somewhat bare for him. Only a few stars and limited depth when Butch took over.

Personally, I don't think Butch was a bad game day coach, but he was given that label by some fans. I think most of us didn't realize the talent wasn't there anymore and Erickson's last few recruiting classes were mediocre. We were use to winning those games like UCLA in '95 and East Carolina in '96. I'm not making an excuse for Butch. We still should have won that '96 game against East Carolina, but the talent gap vs most opponents (like East Carolina) was much closer than years past. But hey, "We are UM and should never lose to anybody!" was my thinking at the time. It was during the '97 season I realized the affect of the loss of scholarships have on a program. I was surprised that Butch turned it around so quickly. That's why I have mad respect for him. And yeah, he whipped Beamer bad that season and Spurrier in the bowl game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back