Telly Lockette to Marshall

Wait, so now we’re supposed to want former high school coaches with no college experience to get on field jobs here? Just last week we were supposed to hate that sort of thing. It’s tough to keep up around here.

Really though, guys like Lockette were given support positions here because of their recruiting ties. Of course other schools are going to eventually try to pry away guys like that with actual coaching positions. He’s trying to climb the ladder and G5 position coach is the next rung. I’m sure if he’s able to pull some local guys, the bigger schools will come calling in a few years. Maybe Miami will be looking to fill a coaching spot that usually goes to recruiters like RB or TE coach.

Ken Dorsey should have been OC the day he got drafted.

Advertisement
But why on Earth would knowing what your talking about ever matter on here lol.

Remember kids, the Trustees and "administration" want the program to fail. Because that makes any sense at all.

Let's also not forget how Lashlee showed the entire playbook in game one.

On the other hand, maybe the Miami job is so bad, he sees Marshall as an upgrade.

There is no situation, on this earth, real or imaginary, where living in West Virginia is better than living in Miami.

When Miami is underwater in 20 years, and the only way to live there is some full-time scuba suit, it'll still be better than living in West Virginia.

Ehh fantastic? We can't catch a punt, we didnt house any kicks, we let up long TDs, got a FG blocked, when you say fantastic I think you mean Jose kicking FG (which Patke didnt do ****) and Hedley punting (againt Hedley been doing that) outside of that? we were mediocre to just bad.

Striker I agree has been decent but then fine give Patke LB and can baker and Telly ST. Like I said not arguing but I can see the point. He is decent but moving Telly in would not have made it worse IMO, he could also just recruit better talent to make up any coaching deficiencies.
Yeah, Borregales & Hedley were awesome, but you can't pick and choose when you're going to give him credit. If that's the case, then we can't hold Baxa and Feagles against him because both stunk.

Punt defense was good. We only allowed 8 punt returns for a total of 59 yards (0 td).

Kickoff return not as good. 101 in the country. Teams only returned 17 kickoffs (Bama conversely had 34 returned) but we allowed 401 yards and 1 TD.

And I agree, the punt return unit has been meh since Berrios left (KJ was good too I guess), but we also haven't had anyone there with any real quicks or playmaking ability. We tried Harley, Hall, Restrepo. Who else do you want there? (Kickoff returns have basically been legislated out of the game so whatever.)

Ok then it's a fair question as to why he went back to high school and why now he's not back at a P5 school.
It’s an upgrade from being in a background role here. Why have both Patke and Baker never been at a P5 besides here coaching a position period ?

Advertisement
I agree it is not a huge or insurmountable loss. Also not like we should compete with Marshall for the same croots unlike when he was at FSU.

I also get the gripe when you have Patke and Baker on staff. Neither have recruited at a high level, ST was atrocious 2 years ago and they just got Jose and Hedley and that fixed the issues, it wasn't Patke' ST coaching. Patke I don't think ever played ball, and has only coached under Manny.

Here is his coaching acumen
began his coaching career in 2011 at University of The Incarnate Word, working with Banda.
Went to LA Tech under Diaz
Went to Miss State with Diaz
Came to UM with Diaz

At what point did he learn to teach kickers and punters and LB?

Baker? essentially same thing and LB has already sucked, how much more can it suffer and I think Lockette played LB at the college level and can at least recruit.

Amateur hour Bro, never seen a staph with so many guys from off-brand schools.

Telly was a great hire for us, but if he's only coached RB/TE and we have two well-regarded and good recruiters at that position, where do you fit Lockette then? You just can't throw him at defense or ST just because he's a good recruiter, because then play suffers as a result.

It simply sounds to me like Lockette got a job with more responsibility and likely better pay. Good for him. I'm not sure why some of you are reading so much into this or putting this on Manny's lap.
About to post the same thing. Unfortunately as much as I would have liked to keep him, the positions he coaches are already filled and I don't think we have any complaints about Hickson or fields. Now if he had ever coached backers I would think Diaz would have sent patke or baker packing but just speculating and giving benefit of the doubt.

I'm not mad about it it's Marshal......but we still got bad position coaches we did not get rid of. Which we all knew they were staying....us mopes called it all year that he would not let go of a specific two.
But it’s a win, win D because manure has no more excuses and his two BFF corches will continue to help pour more water in the sinking canoe and will be rid of Manure and flake James at the end of next year. after they of course **** the bed again like every year and the team quits on him like the last two years. Hopefully maricon Frenk is gonna too and god willing as we have suffered enough we get a good administration that cares and knows about about the game of football and makes a quality hire like Gary Patterson would have been in 2006 instead of another “make a wish” hire. 🤬

Advertisement
Telly escaped; why sit and watch bottom feeders like Rumph, Blake, and Patke get coddled. If TRib gets a DB coach offer that includes co-DC, you don’t think he pulls a a Mario and bails? He’s the only proven recruiter on D...lol DVD may have potential but hasn’t done anything yet. Jess? Been gone for two years. Patke..terrible recruiter. Bakers a Rumph like recruiter, and Manny Golden is a poor recruiter too. At least Telly could recruit and gave us a shot at the Central Stud LB.

There is no situation, on this earth, real or imaginary, where living in West Virginia is better than living in Miami.

When Miami is underwater in 20 years, and the only way to live there is some full-time scuba suit, it'll still be better than living in West Virginia.
So why did he leave, if the situation wasn't better for him? Sure, I wouldn't want to live in WV. Neither would you. However, he obviously felt the opportunity was better at Marshall than UM, and that is why he left.

People are really talking **** that some of us want Telly on field instead of Baker or Patke?
will ferrell crazy pills GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Another self-inflicted wound by Manny. He continues to make this as complicated as possible. At worst, he could've been our ST coach and exclusive 305 recruiter.
Just like Ice Harris am i right? FOH

Can anyone name one SFL HS coach who went on do anything of substance on the P5 level?

Whatever position coach Baker is this year... 100% rather Telly in that spot. I don’t give a crap what experience he has ... Baker serves no purpose on the staff. Dead weight and taking up a spot. He’s not the only one that shouldn’t be employed at the U, but he’s the most biggest offender and 2nd worst DC we’ve had in my memory (he’s basically Enos bad and that guy was canned after one year just like Baker should have if he weren’t butt buddies of Manny’s “elite” defense)

We have two dead weight coaches in Patke and Baker

cant coach OR recruit

why not have Telly who can at least recruit
Baker has been successful D coordinator at major college program for years. Lockett has been a major D coordinator at the high school level. No more high school coaches, expecially ones from Dade or Broward.

Advertisement
Back