Telly Lockette to Marshall

Advertisement
Wait, so now we’re supposed to want former high school coaches with no college experience to get on field jobs here? Just last week we were supposed to hate that sort of thing. It’s tough to keep up around here.

Really though, guys like Lockette were given support positions here because of their recruiting ties. Of course other schools are going to eventually try to pry away guys like that with actual coaching positions. He’s trying to climb the ladder and G5 position coach is the next rung. I’m sure if he’s able to pull some local guys, the bigger schools will come calling in a few years. Maybe Miami will be looking to fill a coaching spot that usually goes to recruiters like RB or TE coach.
Easy. You're making too much sense and nowhere near whiney enough for many around these parts.

Telly was a great hire for us, but if he's only coached RB/TE and we have two well-regarded and good recruiters at that position, where do you fit Lockette then? You just can't throw him at defense or ST just because he's a good recruiter, because then play suffers as a result.

It simply sounds to me like Lockette got a job with more responsibility and likely better pay. Good for him. I'm not sure why some of you are reading so much into this or putting this on Manny's lap.

Advertisement
Telly was a great hire for us, but if he's only coached RB/TE and we have two well-regarded and good recruiters at that position, where do you fit Lockette then? You just can't throw him at defense or ST just because he's a good recruiter, because then play suffers as a result.

It simply sounds to me like Lockette got a job with more responsibility and likely better pay. Good for him. I'm not sure why some of you are reading so much into this or putting this on Manny's lap.

I agree it is not a huge or insurmountable loss. Also not like we should compete with Marshall for the same croots unlike when he was at FSU.

I also get the gripe when you have Patke and Baker on staff. Neither have recruited at a high level, ST was atrocious 2 years ago and they just got Jose and Hedley and that fixed the issues, it wasn't Patke' ST coaching. Patke I don't think ever played ball, and has only coached under Manny.

Here is his coaching acumen
began his coaching career in 2011 at University of The Incarnate Word, working with Banda.
Went to LA Tech under Diaz
Went to Miss State with Diaz
Came to UM with Diaz

At what point did he learn to teach kickers and punters and LB?

Baker? essentially same thing and LB has already sucked, how much more can it suffer and I think Lockette played LB at the college level and can at least recruit.

I agree it is not a huge or insurmountable loss. Also not like we should compete with Marshall for the same croots unlike when he was at FSU.

I also get the gripe when you have Patke and Baker on staff. Neither have recruited at a high level, ST was atrocious 2 years ago and they just got Jose and Hedley and that fixed the issues, it wasn't Patke' ST coaching. Patke I don't think ever played ball, and has only coached under Manny.

Here is his coaching acumen
began his coaching career in 2011 at University of The Incarnate Word, working with Banda.
Went to LA Tech under Diaz
Went to Miss State with Diaz
Came to UM with Diaz

At what point did he learn to teach kickers and punters and LB?

Baker? essentially same thing and LB has already sucked, how much more can it suffer and I think Lockette played LB at the college level and can at least recruit.

I too wonder how Patke is qualified to coach ST, but if you think he's unqualified to coach ST, the solution then isn't to hire another coach unqualified to coach ST (Lockette).

Both sides are overacting imo.
My thing with hiring all these local guys with recruiting ties is this:
how much say do they have with playing time? Does hiring local coaches make oos kids not want to come for fear of preferential treatment?

This recruiting base seems to be the most sensitive when it comes to us.
We offered too late, we slow played, we didn’t start a dude,

If he was promised an on field job and we didn’t give it to him that sucks.
But why should that have any effect on every recruit down here?
And is that fact even true?
Programs are filled with rumors and allegations about coaches and players and we constantly argue about it.

Didn’t knock knees go to FSU because of him?
Is FSU going to lose recruits cause locket talked him and his family to chose a program on the brink of explosion?
Did locket lose any street cred for doing so?
I’d don’t get why it’s always UM that suffers for the same sht that all the other programs do.

If he’s a great recruiter then he should stick to recruiting. But is he some sort of t-rob Kool level on field developer that we have to have?
Would I prefer to have home here on our team?
Yes.
But what insurmountable loss is he?
we say we need to hire developers of talent according to list on here.
We have imo more things to worry about than losing him to Marshall.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I too wonder how Patke is qualified to coach ST, but if you think he's unqualified to coach ST, the solution then isn't to hire another coach unqualified to coach ST (Lockette).

Oh I agree. I was just saying I can see a gripe because you have two guys, neither qualified to coach ST (or outside LB since Patke has that too but Lockette seemingly knows something about the position) and one doesn't recruit well and has zero connections to So.Fla where the other is a HS coaching legend with deep community ties and a reputation as a recruiter, which one do you retain?

Dalvin Cook...Joseph Yearby...Devanta Freeman All came out of Telly Lockette backfields in highschool if you wanna see how impressive he is just google “Miami Central Football” thats why UM sucks now we need some Culture and People who actually know the streets of miami not the silver spooners
St. Thomas Aquinas has more NFL players than any other high school program. Should we be rushing out to hire their staff too? I get that we want to support the local guys but I’m not going to make a big deal about this.

Both sides are overacting imo.
My thing with hiring all these local guys with recruiting ties is this:
how much say do they have with playing time? Does hiring local coaches make oos kids not want to come for fear of preferential treatment?

This recruiting base seems to be the most sensitive when it comes to us.
We offered too late, we slow played, we didn’t start a dude,

If he was promised an on field job and we didn’t give it to him that sucks.
But why should that have any effect on every recruit down here?
And is that fact even true?
Programs are filled with rumors and allegations about coaches and players and we constantly argue about it.

Didn’t knock knees go to FSU because of him?
Is FSU going to lose recruits cause locket talked him and his family to chose a program on the brink of explosion?
mos locket gonna lose any street cred go doing so?
I’d don’t get why it’s always UM that suffers for the same sht that all the other programs do.

If he’s a great recruiter then he should stick to recruiting. But is he some sort of t-rob Kool level on field developer that we have to have?
Would I prefer to have home here on our team?
Yes.
But what insurmountable loss is he?
we say we need to hire developers of talent according to list on here.
We have imo more things to worry about than losing him to Marshall.
Baker can’t coach or recruit. At least keep the recruiter.

Advertisement
Oh I agree. I was just saying I can see a gripe because you have two guys, neither qualified to coach ST (or outside LB since Patke has that too but Lockette seemingly knows something about the position) and one doesn't recruit well and has zero connections to So.Fla where the other is a HS coaching legend with deep community ties and a reputation as a recruiter, which one do you retain?
I think you're underselling Patke. I think he gets a bad rap. His strikers have performed really well. Romeo was a solid, solid contributor. Frierson made a noticeable, considerable leap from last year to present. And STs were fantastic this year. I know folks don't like him because they think he's a product of nepotism, but the results on the field suggest he's earned his keep.

Telly was an on the field coach at 2 P5 schools before he got here. Manny’s boys were not ever even position coaches at P5’s before they got here but both are coordinator positions that’s where the frustration is from
Ok then it's a fair question as to why he went back to high school and why now he's not back at a P5 school.

Advertisement
I think you're underselling Patke. I think he gets a bad rap. His strikers have performed really well. Romeo was a solid, solid contributor. Frierson made a noticeable, considerable leap from last year to present. And STs were fantastic this year. I know folks don't like him because they think he's a product of nepotism, but the results on the field suggest he's earned his keep.
Ehh fantastic? We can't catch a punt, we didnt house any kicks, we let up long TDs, got a FG blocked, when you say fantastic I think you mean Jose kicking FG (which Patke didnt do ****) and Hedley punting (againt Hedley been doing that) outside of that? we were mediocre to just bad.

Striker I agree has been decent but then fine give Patke LB and can baker and Telly ST. Like I said not arguing but I can see the point. He is decent but moving Telly in would not have made it worse IMO, he could also just recruit better talent to make up any coaching deficiencies.

Advertisement
Back