Tate to be used more going forward

So just to clarify, the recruiting dead period just ended August 31, and the quiet period is currently in place...and the game was August 24th. But the other teams have been using Martell's limited playing time as a recruiting pitch against us?
Surely I can’t be the only one you heard this from. I got it from Kelvin Harris but I’ve heard this on several podcasts. But I guess you’re right because everyone follows the NCAA rules to the letter; there’s no such thing as bagmen, handlers, and of course there’s absolutely no contact during the dead period.
ACB8380D-FD62-4045-A4DF-DA0CC529962B.gif

Advertisement
At the game I only remember three or four snaps. On one, when he was used as a decoy that was very effective. A huge run resulted.

I think that’s where his value is - as a decoy. I don’t know how good a receiver he is or he isn’t.

But if you can get someone else to rip a 30 - 40 yard run, I’m all for his occasional use.

Deejay broke LITERALLY three tackles on the play that is the reason for him running for a 50 yard TD. Jeff Thomas could of done what Tate did on that play and it would of had the same effect.

57 second mark.
https://watchstadium.com/videos/miamis-deejay-dallas-highlight-vs-florida/

Deejay broke LITERALLY three tackles on the play that is the reason for him running for a 50 yard TD. Jeff Thomas could of done what Tate did on that play and it would of had the same effect.

57 second mark.

The point is would Thomas have garnered the same attention. And even if you say yes, the fact is the play worked. He created the attention and the space.

And have you ever seen a long run where some tackles weren't broken? It’s big boy football, people are going to try to tackle you no matter what.

Im all about seeing Jarren, Tate, and DJ all out there with some weird looks so that the defense has no phuckimg clue what's about to happen.

Advertisement

57 second mark.
Watch the attention Martell draws on the Dallas touchdown. When he motions, a safety immediately shifts into the slot to cover him (would have happened with any receiver) BUT watch the DE/OLB at the top of their formation at the snap. He immediately abandons his rush lane/run fit to shade towards Martell. He literally takes himself out of the play.

57 second mark.
Maybe if JT actually got a jet sweep or two in the game you don't have to bring out the gimmick formation of Martell at WR to create such a play.

Give JT his jet sweeps early and often and good things will happen.

Maybe if JT actually got a jet sweep or two in the game you don't have to bring out the gimmick formation of Martell at WR to create such a play.

Give JT his jet sweeps early and often and good things will happen.
Why not both?

Advertisement
Why not both?
Because he's not a receiver. What's he going to do on a jet sweep that JT can't do?

Wildcat is enough for Tate. I already see us killing drives that are gathering momentum dead in its tracks becasue we need to trot Tate out there.

Surely I can’t be the only one you heard this from. I got it from Kelvin Harris but I’ve heard this on several podcasts. But I guess you’re right because everyone follows the NCAA rules to the letter; there’s no such thing as bagmen, handlers, and of course there’s absolutely no contact during the dead period.
View attachment 96485
Not saying it's not possible, but so far everything I've seen sounds more like people assuming that it is happening or could be happening. Even so, bagmen, handlers, etc. can and DO make up whatever bull**** they want all the time. If it's not this non-issue, it's another one that they invent.

57 second mark.
While Deejay absolutely had a great run and deserves credit there is no doubt that the defense specifically adjusted and keyed on Martell expecting some sort of trick play involving him. Now, I agree that if we do that too often, any effectiveness will be greatly reduced. If we are going to be using those "wrinkles" in our offense, Tate needs to occasionally be targeted with a pass, or allowed to pass. It is also no substitute for improved, regular, standard football plays, and the other receivers need to be given their opportunities to shine, especially early in the season, so we can see who to rely on later in the season. But I have absolutely no problem with using such formations and getting Tate on the field, and anyone who is making a big deal about it as if it were something negative (be it our own players, fans, recruiters from other teams, etc) is way out of line. It only becomes a valid issue if it's ineffective but we keep using it.

Advertisement
I’m not assuming, and here’s an example. one my best friends and frat brother is a sports agent. He is from Cocoa originally but lives in ATL now and is a die hard Cane fan. Mike reps Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and I got a chance to hang out with Chauncey’s mom D while visiting Mike a few months back.
I heard some recruiting stories even I couldn’t believe. She talks about some of it in her book but trust, the recruiting game is grimy as ****. Mike will tell that uf is spinning this Tate issue like a locker room cancer. The new one is ‘do you Pope or Tate as your receiver?’

I don’t need to make anything up, half of our board is talking about Tate’s playing time/snaps over other receivers.
You have to know that other teams know what’s going on at the U and will use whatever they can. The Tate thing is too easy.

Btw, Chauncey is a Florida dog who committed and wanted to come to the U but they cut communication while chasing big fish.
I knew it and didn’t say **** because I was so phuckin ****ed. We need a Cocoa pipeline too.

Amazon product ASIN 1600479669

I’m not assuming, and here’s an example. one my best friends and frat brother is a sports agent. He is from Cocoa originally but lives in ATL now and is a die hard Cane fan. Mike reps Chauncey Gardner-Johnson and I got a chance to hang out with Chauncey’s mom D while visiting Mike a few months back.
I heard some recruiting stories even I couldn’t believe. She talks about some of it in her book but trust, the recruiting game is grimy as ****. Mike will tell that uf is spinning this Tate issue like a locker room cancer. The new one is ‘do you Pope or Tate as your receiver?’

I don’t need to make anything up, half of our board is talking about Tate’s playing time/snaps over other receivers.
You have to know that other teams know what’s going on at the U and will use whatever they can. The Tate thing is too easy.

Btw, Chauncey is a Florida dog who committed and wanted to come to the U but they cut communication while chasing big fish.
I knew it and didn’t say **** because I was so phuckin ****ed. We need a Cocoa pipeline too.

Amazon product ASIN 1600479669
Like I said, any team will make up whatever BS they want to negative recruit. They'll take a non-issue and turn it into an issue. They'll take something minor and present it like it's enormous. If they don't make a big deal out of the nothing that is the Tate issue, then they will make a big deal out of something else. There is no stopping that, and we can't manage the team based on worries about what lies, spin, and exaggerations other teams are going to use. If the recruits are too dense to understand they are being played by those negative recruiters, they will be too dense to avoid being played when negatively recruited on other imaginary non-issues as well.

Advertisement
Like I said, any team will make up whatever BS they want to negative recruit. They'll take a non-issue and turn it into an issue. They'll take something minor and present it like it's enormous. If they don't make a big deal out of the nothing that is the Tate issue, then they will make a big deal out of something else. There is no stopping that, and we can't manage the team based on worries about what lies, spin, and exaggerations other teams are going to use. If the recruits are too dense to understand they are being played by those negative recruiters, they will be too dense to avoid being played when negatively recruited on other imaginary non-issues as well.
Ok I see where you’re coming from but I don’t think it’s a non issue. Tate destroyed his UM locker in a temper tantrum when he lost the QB1 job and his “teammates” posted the **** online. Tate does not have the respect of all of the players.

He takes a day off, has to speak to the team about why he needed to take off, on meds, posts too much, suppose to be a QB but you jumped over to WR, parents calling boosters, national media clowning him...
1567791764078.gif

Ok I see where you’re coming from but I don’t think it’s a non issue. Tate destroyed his UM locker in a temper tantrum when he lost the QB1 job and his “teammates” posted the **** online. Tate does not have the respect of all of the players.

He takes a day off, has to speak to the team about why he needed to take off, on meds, posts too much, suppose to be a QB but you jumped over to WR, parents calling boosters, national media clowning him...
View attachment 96511
All I see from your post is anti-Tate spin. I was by no means a Tate groupie. I thought it was ridiculous how some just wanted to give him the starting job and made him a legend before he even did anything. But I'm also not an irrational Tate hater either. The coaches have a valid reason for determining that he can help them win games. That is the coaches' job. I've seen nothing that makes Tate a great hero, a great player, a game changer...yet. I've also seen absolutely nothing that points to him being a locker room cancer or a trouble maker either. Both of those narratives are pretty much baseless garbage at this point and time.

Because he's not a receiver. What's he going to do on a jet sweep that JT can't do?

Wildcat is enough for Tate. I already see us killing drives that are gathering momentum dead in its tracks becasue we need to trot Tate out there.
Throw the ball. The whole reason he plays is that he's a risk to throw. Nobody thinks Jeff Thomas is ever going to throw so they don't have to defend him that way. He was clearly a factor against Florida. As long as he continues to make defenses account for the possibility of him throwing, he's got value.

All I see from your post is anti-Tate spin. I was by no means a Tate groupie. I thought it was ridiculous how some just wanted to give him the starting job and made him a legend before he even did anything. But I'm also not an irrational Tate hater either. The coaches have a valid reason for determining that he can help them win games. That is the coaches' job. I've seen nothing that makes Tate a great hero, a great player, a game changer...yet. I've also seen absolutely nothing that points to him being a locker room cancer or a trouble maker either. Both of those narratives are pretty much baseless garbage at this point and time.
Yeah I’m anti-Tate now because I think he needs time earn the respect and the playing time that many think he deserves because of what he did I in high school and great marketing. Nothing I said about Tate was untrue which also, unfortunately serves as a base for our competition to spin from.
I was anti-Knowles for years until the gaytor game, but I’m ok with him now. So I’m a little more critical of Tate than you are because all of the attention he draws is really draining the energy from where it should be focused - which is on the team. I wish I had a post count for anything Tate related, it might be in the thousands. I just wasted a bunch of time on him in this thread when I could be posting about uniforms or why a BYU fan wants to be Miami fan or something. It we’ll see, GO CANES!

Advertisement
Back