Tate to be used more going forward

If they plan to line him up at QB they better let him throw the ball. Constantly lining him up and running will not be effective.
Man, I have been saying this about any kind of wildcat formation we put out there. You have to, at some point, throw the **** ball from it. Even an incomplete pass makes it a threat, so when you run the ball, they are thinking pass.

Advertisement
I dont mind tate getting reps. But i have a really hard time believing he should be getting reps over payton, hightower and pope. It just doesnt make sense. We already have osborn, harley, and thomas taking most of the reps and theyre all on the smaller side. Adding tate as the 4th guy is overkill, need to get some bigger WRs some reps.
Guess you weren't listening to the podcast when this was discussed.

If they plan to line him up at QB they better let him throw the ball. Constantly lining him up and running will not be effective.

Uh oh.... that is sure to ruffle some Tate the Great feathers...lol.

Seriously tho, I'm sure Enos knows that is exactly what most defenses will be looking for...while it will also likely be the most effective once he decides to pull it out.

Advertisement
If they don’t let him actually throw the ball then what’s the point
The only, ONLY thing that might save him is that the D might think he's going to pass because he's a QB. Unlike Dallas, who they know will run it. I will always believe Dallas throwing the ball from the wildcat is an easy 6 waiting to happen.

I dont mind tate getting reps. But i have a really hard time believing he should be getting reps over payton, hightower and pope. It just doesnt make sense. We already have osborn, harley, and thomas taking most of the reps and theyre all on the smaller side. Adding tate as the 4th guy is overkill, need to get some bigger WRs some reps.

Talented as they are, payton, hightower and pope don't command the respect that Tate did from the Gator D.

I was never a huge Tate Martell backer but I understand why they're playing him and why they'll continue to play him. He makes the defense adjust to him. His presence on the field means the opponent must be extra cautious of a potential trick play. He may not be the most gifted natural passer but he's way more of a threat to throw the ball than any of the other receivers. Watch some of the replays from the UF game. Especially Dallas' touchdown run. He goes in motion and their whole defense keys on him. At the snap, two UF defenders immediately head towards him, clearing extra space for Dallas to take the Wildcat snap and go straight to the house.

Obviously, he's not an every down guy but as long as he's a major distraction for opposing defenses, he's going to get 10-15 plays a game. I especially like having him on the field in Wildcat formations. Most of the time, if a team has their quarterback on the field for the Wildcat, he's just standing out wide, not doing anything. You're essentially playing 10 on 11. With Martell in the game and Dallas lined up as the Wildcat QB, you actually have to defend him taking away the numbers advantage.

Advertisement
I was never a huge Tate Martell backer but I understand why they're playing him and why they'll continue to play him. He makes the defense adjust to him. His presence on the field means the opponent must be extra cautious of a potential trick play. He may not be the most gifted natural passer but he's way more of a threat to throw the ball than any of the other receivers. Watch some of the replays from the UF game. Especially Dallas' touchdown run. He goes in motion and their whole defense keys on him. At the snap, two UF defenders immediately head towards him, clearing extra space for Dallas to take the Wildcat snap and go straight to the house.

Obviously, he's not an every down guy but as long as he's a major distraction for opposing defenses, he's going to get 10-15 plays a game. I especially like having him on the field in Wildcat formations. Most of the time, if a team has their quarterback on the field for the Wildcat, he's just standing out wide, not doing anything. You're essentially playing 10 on 11. With Martell in the game and Dallas lined up as the Wildcat QB, you actually have to defend him taking away the numbers advantage.

This is what I have been saying. Put him next to Dallas in the 'Cat and make defenses wonder if he is gonna throw

This is what I have been saying. Put him next to Dallas in the 'Cat and make defenses wonder if he is gonna throw

Or if Dallas may throw. He did it a couple of times last year - one that comes to mind in particular was in the VA Tech game where DJ threw to Rosier.

Or if Dallas may throw. He did it a couple of times last year - one that comes to mind in particular was in the VA Tech game where DJ threw to Rosier.
Rosier played last year at Va Tech or are you thinking in 2017 when Berrios threw to Rosier?

Advertisement
Any and I mean ANY offensive advantage that we can use to win games this year we need to use it and use it fully. We are not at the point offensively where we can start ripping plays out of our playbook in order to prevent hurt feelings from other WRs. If Tate can help us, put his a$$ out there until he proves that he cannot.

Have no idea why posters think having Tate out there is a bad thing. It gives the defense something to think about because at some point you know Enos is going to let him chuck it. Just waiting for the perfect opportunity to dial it up.

Advertisement

It’s nice one person who understands football, there was multiple big plays off his motion. Out of fifteen snaps he was in motion three of the big plays. But yet we must still ***** and moan because alot of people dislike him.

Last edited:

This (y) He and Deejay together back there pre-snap would create chaos for defenses.

I've seen a few other articles saying Tate will play a lot more, one included quotes from Manny. He said they have a lot of plays for him that we didn't see vs UF. I think that one was from 247
True, but some of those other articles also were alluding to more of wildcat/special formation sorts of plays, not just playing Tate as a regular WR over the other WRs.

Advertisement
Back