Tate to be used more going forward

True, but some of those other articles also were alluding to more of wildcat/special formation sorts of plays, not just playing Tate as a regular WR over the other WRs.
Exactly, Manny even said it wouldn't be fair to list him over the other WRs.

Advertisement
I was never a huge Tate Martell backer but I understand why they're playing him and why they'll continue to play him. He makes the defense adjust to him. His presence on the field means the opponent must be extra cautious of a potential trick play. He may not be the most gifted natural passer but he's way more of a threat to throw the ball than any of the other receivers. Watch some of the replays from the UF game. Especially Dallas' touchdown run. He goes in motion and their whole defense keys on him. At the snap, two UF defenders immediately head towards him, clearing extra space for Dallas to take the Wildcat snap and go straight to the house.

Obviously, he's not an every down guy but as long as he's a major distraction for opposing defenses, he's going to get 10-15 plays a game. I especially like having him on the field in Wildcat formations. Most of the time, if a team has their quarterback on the field for the Wildcat, he's just standing out wide, not doing anything. You're essentially playing 10 on 11. With Martell in the game and Dallas lined up as the Wildcat QB, you actually have to defend him taking away the numbers advantage.
I agree, though I just hope they are judicious about it. There's a fine line between strategically throwing in wrinkles like that, and becoming a gimmick offense.

I agree, though I just hope they are judicious about it. There's a fine line between strategically throwing in wrinkles like that, and becoming a gimmick offense.
I think as long as it works, they'll continue to use it. I want nothing more than for the offense to be so dangerous, they can just run basic stuff and light up the scoreboard but at least for now, if it takes gimmicks to score touchdowns, then give me the gimmicks.

Advertisement
Or if Dallas may throw. He did it a couple of times last year - one that comes to mind in particular was in the VA Tech game where DJ threw to Rosier.
I see a TE running wide open once the D keys on Dallas. It could be Polendy, for crying out loud, and he'll be wide open. It will happen.

The more consistently you run out of the wildcat, the more defenses have to key on the runner and more likely you are to have a guy running by himself downfield. With Martell and Dallas on the field, you have two former high school QBs who are both more than capable of dropping a pass over the linebackers to a streaking TE in the middle of the field.

The more consistently you run out of the wildcat, the more defenses have to key on the runner and more likely you are to have a guy running by himself downfield. With Martell and Dallas on the field, you have two former high school QBs who are both more than capable of dropping a pass over the linebackers to a streaking TE in the middle of the field.
Teams will spend extra time preparing for martell to in that situation too which is a good thing for us. I’m fine with him in plays like that and then as the season goes on maybe he can earn a few snaps as a receiver.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is what I have been saying. Put him next to Dallas in the 'Cat and make defenses wonder if he is gonna throw
Yea thats cool and all he can be used as a decoy but why do we need a gimmick to be successful??? I dont understand it and Im not a fan of that style of play when we have capable atheltes, Miami shouldnt have to resort to this.

Yea thats cool and all he can be used as a decoy but why do we need a gimmick to be successful??? I dont understand it and Im not a fan of that style of play when we have capable atheltes, Miami shouldnt have to resort to this.

It is all about making the Defense think twice. If it works, it works. Very few teams are so offensively dominant that they can dictate the flow of the game all the time. Spread offenses are all about creating mismatches, regular offenses are all about creating mis matches, so too is using Tate in a variety of packages.

Saying we have a lot of plays for Tate isn’t the same thing as saying Tate will get a lot more reps.

While this is true it doesn't also mean they will not try. It depends on how it affects the defense. If they have success then I could see reps increasing. If mainly a decoy then defenses will learn not to be too concerned. His threat mainly comes from an ability to throw the ball. We can put faster guys out there than Tate but not as fast and with ability to throw on the run.

Yes, Miami shouldn’t need to do this to score. But the reality is that Miami DOES need to do this to score.

Welcome to reality. This is 2019, not 2001.

Advertisement
Tate is Tate. I'm thinking at this point he'll be a good slot receiver to shake things up and keep the defense on their toes but outside of that I don't think he'll crack 1st string. We have some pretty good receivers for him to compete with.

It is all about making the Defense think twice. If it works, it works. Very few teams are so offensively dominant that they can dictate the flow of the game all the time. Spread offenses are all about creating mismatches, regular offenses are all about creating mis matches, so too is using Tate in a variety of packages.
I feel you bro I just think its wack, all this talk about Enos and we running the wildcat like we got Chad Pennington at QB.

Advertisement
I have only one question

WHY??

We have much better options for anything he brings....Better passers...DJ runs the wildcat better....We have better receivers....

So why go with the lesser option for any threat he brings?

Maybe by always saying he has "special packages" :eagerness: he serves as a permanent decoy.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back