Talent evaluator thoughts on the first week of practice

Advertisement
I agree with everything you said but I'm just gonna have to take your word for it when it comes to Campbell playing LT cause the jump from LG to LT is a big step and he got worked over at RT. Herbert i don't know hes given us nothing up to this point and anything above nothing is a win for him
Campbell played LT in HS it was always his natural position.

His main issue was technique more than anything, when he understood his assignments & knew exactly what to do he was actually a pretty good Tackle. He's probably the most naturally strong OT we have, he has a nasty streak in him & can finish blocks, he also moves well at 6'5 300lbs. He's a Red Soph this season which means he's had 3 years to develop & maturate, I think he can do a good enough job to not be terrible at LT.

Herbert is the scariest, he hasn't even shown a flash of skill or talent to be a starter. At least Campbell had moments where he played well, Herbert has only been awful since he's step foot on campus in the few instances where he's been healthy enough to actually play.

Still think we're missing an opportunity to go get a Grad transfer OT with having 1 more scholly left.

Campbell's not as bad as people think, he did a good job at LG when he replaced Donaldson.

He's got great arm length & natural strength, I'm not as worried about him as most people will be.

Herbert starting is a nightmare. I'm not listening to anything anybody says about Herb until I see it in a game. I've never seen worse footwork in my life.

If Justice can make Herb a serviceable RT he deserves a permanent contract at Miami.
Campbell look WAY BETTER than Donaldson when he came in and played Guard

Advertisement
Campbell played LT in HS it was always his natural position.

His main issue was technique more than anything, when he understood his assignments & knew exactly what to do he was actually a pretty good Tackle. He's probably the most naturally strong OT we have, he has a nasty streak in him & can finish blocks, he also moves well at 6'5 300lbs. He's a Red Soph this season which means he's had 3 years to develop & maturate, I think he can do a good enough job to not be terrible at LT.

Herbert is the scariest, he hasn't even shown a flash of skill or talent to be a starter. At least Campbell had moments where he played well, Herbert has only been awful since he's step foot on campus in the few instances where he's been healthy enough to actually play.

Still think we're missing an opportunity to go get a Grad transfer OT with having 1 more scholly left.
Who should we go after? Seems like all the quality OT are gone.

Advertisement
My thing is; this was a high school coach evaluating this....not a former NFL scout, or collegiate scout.

So from the lenses of a high school coach, he saw some good. I would temper his views; however, for him to ? our 2ndary from his lenses, MAY be a really bad sign. The pass rush gotta get home, and I believe we have the horses to do so.

Man, I‘m really anxious for the season to start.

Advertisement
My initial thought on Likens, when I saw that interview someone posted when he was hired, was who’s the cokehead?

After reading this, does Likens remind anyone else that’s older and/or familiar with 80’s movies of the Dennis Hopper character “Frank” in Blue Velvet???

View attachment 113292

Lol that movie was ****ed up

Take the CB’s being that bad with a grain of salt. We’ve been in full pads 1 day mixing and matching. WR’s are always gonna look good in 1 n 1 or 7 n 7 settings.. Our CB room isn’t elite but is definitely serviceable

Advertisement
Yeah Likens has energy galore. Justice I believe will get much better play and cohesion out of the OL more so that Barry ever thought about getting from the big uglies. The secondary should reap the seeds sowed by the DL. I think the safeties in particular will come away with a good number of INT’s thanks to what lineup we’ll put out there along the defensive front. Lastly, King is going to enter the Canes record book at QB when it’s all said and done - I like him for @42 total TD’s this season.
I've got a side bet with a friend that King breaks Williams' 6 TD record in game 1. He picked Rousseau and Roche to finish #1 and #2 in sacks.

Advertisement
Back