Talent evaluator thoughts on the first week of practice

I know we say it every year, but this is really the year to make noise or just gut the entire thing.

This roster, with this schedule, wins AT LEAST 10 games for any competent staff. Urban Meyer (NO!!!, I'm not expecting Manny to be Urban Meyer, but...) probably runs the table with this team against this competition. If Manny can't get 10 and the Coastal, at worst, he is absolutely, NO DOUBT unfit to be the HC here at this point and needs to be fired, without question.

It's not a national championship roster....let's not get it twisted. But it's MORE than enough to have the best season we've had here in over a decade, and it all starts with #1. He is an ELITE QB. Not a good QB, he is a PHENOMENAL college football QB. He is Jalen Hurts lite. Put this kid in Lincoln Riley's offense this year in Lincoln, and you'll have the exact same hype and production that Hurts had to start last year when he was running away with the Heisman before Burrow went nuts. He would ABSOLUTELY be in NYC at the Downtown Athletic Club as a Heisman finalist this coming December if he was in Norman right now. Zero doubt. So, why shouldn't we expect the same, or at least something somewhat similar here?? We absolutely should. I'm not saying that Lashlee is Lincoln, or that Miami's pieces around the QB are as good as Oklahoma's, but there's more than enough here for him to have a spectacular season. If he doesn't something is SERIOUSLY amiss within the program.

The defense will be at worst fine. I know that for a fact. It may be better, but the floor is a pretty good defense. We have an above average punter. We have an above average kicker. We have perhaps the best edge combination in the country on defense. We have upper echelon ACC talent at the skill positions on offense. We have every single kid coming back on the offensive line with a coach who has proven he's at least somewhat competent. And we have an absurd, almost cartoon-like dynamo running the show.

Again, we say this every year, but there are NO excuses for ****ting the bed this season. Absolutely zero. Under NO circumstances, barring something off the field happening, should a coach be fired after 1 year. Not even for losing to FIU, sorry. It's not nearly enough of an evaluation. But not winning 10+ and the division with this team? He and everyone he's touched needs their bags packed the instant the season ends. Good coaches absolutely dominate this division with this team and D'Eriq King at the center of it. Period.

King is a better passer and more elusive as a runner than Hurts.

Advertisement
It's evident that Lashlee/Justice are seeking an OL that's mobile

LT Campbell: 6'5 301
LG Traore: 6'3 305
C Gaynor: 6'4 299
RG Scaife: 6'3 298
RT Herbert: 6'5 298

And yet the team had 4 agonizingly close losses before tanking the end of the season. ****** take. That "7-5 at best" team could have been undefeated going into the bowl game. That's how much of a joke the schedule was. Likewise Miami can be an "8 win at best" team this year and run the table. Miami's talent level only matters relative to opponents. Competent coaching and fewer crippling errors like Thomas vs. UF or Ivey on the fake punt are what moves the needle.
That's what I'm saying. A lot of people forget we were a couple of dumb plays and missed Field Goals away from a completely different looking season and probably finishing the season ranked. In the grand scheme of things I'm glad last year happened because F**k Enos and it prompted Manny to bring in Lashlee and finally accept that we needed to go spread, but realistically we could have been looking at a 9-10 win season if we start off the season with a huge win against Florida even after playing like garbage.

That's what I'm saying. A lot of people forget we were a couple of dumb plays and missed Field Goals away from a completely different looking season and probably finishing the season ranked. In the grand scheme of things I'm glad last year happened because F**k Enos and it prompted Manny to bring in Lashlee and finally accept that we needed to go spread, but realistically we could have been looking at a 9-10 win season if we start off the season with a huge win against Florida even after playing like garbage.

Yeah I forgot about the FGs. Makes it even more apparent.

Advertisement
My thing is; this was a high school coach evaluating this....not a former NFL scout, or collegiate scout.

So from the lenses of a high school coach, he saw some good. I would temper his views; however, for him to ? our 2ndary from his lenses, MAY be a really bad sign. The pass rush gotta get home, and I believe we have the horses to do so.

Man, I‘m really anxious for the season to start.
It said Talent Evaluator and State Champ. Could very well be a former HS and current evaluator. That actually sounds like Field TBH. But I think and hope it is someone more senior.

Advertisement
Seems like Manny and Barry Jackson have the same source. Or, far less likely but much more promising if true, 2 different scouts had basically the exact same assessment after watching the first week of practice.

IDK I took his reference to mean two people: a talent evaluator and also a coach. I thought maybe the "evaluator " was Blustein.

Advertisement
More off season championship rah rah BS

Don't give a **** anymore about this nonsense. Win games.

b-in-tp.gif

Advertisement
I will be cautiously optimistic as of now. I want to see how they respond to Temple. Every single spring, I hear about how much the offensive line has improved, the improvements of the play calling, and how good the QBs are. Temple is a good team and they definitely see an opportunity to beat us. They will be prepared

Who should we go after? Seems like all the quality OT are gone.

Since players can be arriving in the portal for a while, I think/hope Manny is expecting to use it on a better OL prospect that hereafter becomes available in the portal (OR even from junior college <like Shockey>, or late qualifier <like Ray Lewis> or other team's 2020 recruit who is let out (like <Smith>)

Since players can be arriving in the port for a while, I think/hope Manny is expecting to use it on a better OL prospect that hereafter becomes available in the portal (OR even from junior college <like Shockey>, or late qualifier <like Ray Lewis> or other team's 2020 recruit who is let out (like <Smith>)
I think we should go out of state to get offensive lineman. We need to get those gritty/hardworking guys from the Midwest. Or even places like Louisiana, Texas and Georgia

Advertisement
Back