Tad Foote was the best president UM ever had

This thread is great because it exposes ignorant people. If you get your info from an ESPN 20 for 20, then yeah... you're going to believe that Tad Foote hated football and all that bull****. What you're missing is that the 20 for 20 is mostly bull**** - Tad Foote the evil villain makes a good story, and good stories make good TV. But that doesn't mean any of that actually went down.

At the end of the day, RESULTS are what matter. And the fact of the **** matter is that under Tad Foote, we had the best football program this school has ever had. And after he left, the program went to ****.

So that's what I'm going with. I'll go with the evidence of national championships and winning records over some bull**** tale spun up by Billy Corben to make his movie more interesting.

Advertisement
This thread is great because it exposes ignorant people. If you get your info from an ESPN 20 for 20, then yeah... you're going to believe that Tad Foote hated football and all that bull****. What you're missing is that the 20 for 20 is mostly bull**** - Tad Foote the evil villain makes a good story, and good stories make good TV. But that doesn't mean any of that actually went down.

At the end of the day, RESULTS are what matter. And the fact of the **** matter is that under Tad Foote, we had the best football program this school has ever had. And after he left, the program went to ****.

So that's what I'm going with. I'll go with the evidence of national championships and winning records over some bull**** tale spun up by Billy Corben to make his movie more interesting.

Instant loss of credibility.

Billy did not spin some "bullsh!t tale". While the discussion of shutting down UM football PRECEDED Tad Foote, it is also true that Tad Foote both actively and passively demonstrated his dislike for the UM football team and coaches throughout his entire 20 year career at UM.

Ignorant people are being exposed. Including WrongSaidFred.

Instant loss of credibility.

Billy did not spin some "bullsh!t tale". While the discussion of shutting down UM football PRECEDED Tad Foote, it is also true that Tad Foote both actively and passively demonstrated his dislike for the UM football team and coaches throughout his entire 20 year career at UM.

Ignorant people are being exposed. Including WrongSaidFred.

Who gives a **** if he "actively or passively expressed his dislike," whatever the **** that's even supposed to mean. The man got RESULTS.

And yeah, if you don't understand that 99% of the **** on TV is made-up horse****, you're pretty ******* ignorant.

That's a big "no" on Frenk. I understand your points on the "hands-off" approach. But we also lose the advantages of vision and leadership.

"Hands off" doesn't work when Gilligan is running the Athletic Department. We need a new President who can give the administrative side of the Athletic Department the ***** it so richly needs and deserves.

A good President can be "hands off" when we have a good AD. But ADs don't always stay forever, so you need some vision at the President level to bring in replacements who keep the program going in the right direction.

Ohhh, I'd absolutely prefer your scenario but I was mainly just making the statement about Frenk in relation to his predecessors.

Who gives a **** if he "actively or passively expressed his dislike," whatever the **** that's even supposed to mean. The man got RESULTS.

And yeah, if you don't understand that 99% of the **** on TV is made-up horse****, you're pretty ******* ignorant.

Edward Thaddeus Foote II never got a single "RESULT" on the football field. It's statements like that that expose your ignorant buffoonery. You simply cannot distinguish between causality and coincidence.

Neither Lou Saban nor Howard Schnellenberger were hired by Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

The primary advocates for the hiring of Sam Jankovich were David Lieberman and Doc Mallios, not Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

One of the conditions for Sam Jankovich accepting the job at UM was the reinstatement of the basketball program. That was not an idea supported by Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

Sam Jankovich hired Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. Edward Thaddeus Foote II did not hire Ron Fraser or Lou Saban or Howard Schnellenberger or Jimmy Johnson or Dennis Erickson or Butch Davis or Leonard Hamilton.

You claim to have gotten your MBA from Yale Extension School, but also claim that you can't understand the meaning of a university president actively and/or passively expressing his dislike for the football team, as if that is some complicated phrase that requires a deeper understanding of symbolism and context.

Instead, you choose to lead with "99% of the ****e on TV is made up horsesh!te". Wow. How profound and impactful.

Edward Thaddeus Foote II was a fine UM President (not the best, but probably 2nd or 3rd best) who absolutely hated the attention, resources, and credit given to the accomplishments of an Athletic Department that he didn't care about. I observed this for 15 of the 20 years that he served as UM President. It's real.

Advertisement
Ohhh, I'd absolutely prefer your scenario but I was mainly just making the statement about Frenk in relation to his predecessors.

Yeah, you are a solid poster and one of the guys who doesn't oversimplify this issue. You understand that we need JUST ENOUGH vision/leadership from a President. In all honesty, I think the only time we've had a tight harmony between UM President and UM AD (since 1980) was when Paul Dee was the AD.

Edward Thaddeus Foote II never got a single "RESULT" on the football field. It's statements like that that expose your ignorant buffoonery. You simply cannot distinguish between causality and coincidence.

Neither Lou Saban nor Howard Schnellenberger were hired by Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

The primary advocates for the hiring of Sam Jankovich were David Lieberman and Doc Mallios, not Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

One of the conditions for Sam Jankovich accepting the job at UM was the reinstatement of the basketball program. That was not an idea supported by Edward Thaddeus Foote II.

Sam Jankovich hired Jimmy Johnson and Dennis Erickson. Edward Thaddeus Foote II did not hire Ron Fraser or Lou Saban or Howard Schnellenberger or Jimmy Johnson or Dennis Erickson or Butch Davis or Leonard Hamilton.

You claim to have gotten your MBA from Yale Extension School, but also claim that you can't understand the meaning of a university president actively and/or passively expressing his dislike for the football team, as if that is some complicated phrase that requires a deeper understanding of symbolism and context.

Instead, you choose to lead with "99% of the ****e on TV is made up horsesh!te". Wow. How profound and impactful.

Edward Thaddeus Foote II was a fine UM President (not the best, but probably 2nd or 3rd best) who absolutely hated the attention, resources, and credit given to the accomplishments of an Athletic Department that he didn't care about. I observed this for 15 of the 20 years that he served as UM President. It's real.

so this is like Mike Wilbon in written form. you can call him thad lol

For all of the **** people talk about Tad Foote he was the best president UM ever had. We won 4 football NCs while he was the president and the 5th NC was won with players who were recruited while he was the president. We also were good in baseball and won championships when he was President. The minute the tranny troll took over the athletic department fell apart and the current guy has been as bad as the tranny troll.
We won IN SPITE of Tad Foote, not BECAUSE of him.

Advertisement
I'd bet that you're a lot of fun at parties, have boatloads of friends, and that girls are super into you.

Except I like money.

So you're mad because I pointed out that the discussion of shutting down UM football took place in the 1970s, and Tad Foote was hired in 1981?

Feel free to continue to spin your fact-free myths. While your unintelligent buddy WrongSaidFred upvotes your inaccurate porsts.

It's real.

Why, because you heard it on TV? GTFOH you naive clown.

Distinguishing between causality and coincidence is very often a fool's errand. Which would explain why you're so in to it.

On the other hand, I consider the ability to cut through layers of bull**** to get to the truth to be a strength. It's a common trait among successful people, which, again, would explain why it eludes you.

I prefer evidence and data, not this Gossip Girls crap you're putting out there about what Tad Foote "actively or passively expressed his dislike" for. I understand perfectly well what you meant... it's just that it's ******* irrelevant noise and I don't ******* care. I don't care what he said or what he felt... I care what he DID.

I'm not interested in hearsay... I'm interested in facts.

And the only **** FACT anyone has brought to bear so far is that we won more games under Tad Foote than under anyone else.

So as far as I'm concerned, he was a good football president.

So you're mad because I pointed out that the discussion of shutting down UM football took place in the 1970s, and Tad Foote was hired in 1981?

Feel free to continue to spin your fact-free myths. While your unintelligent buddy WrongSaidFred upvotes your inaccurate porsts.

Lord, you're a child. Not mad at all, so nah bud. And I don't know who WrongSaidFred is. And... wow at you getting upset at upvotes and downvotes. I think you're flying a little too close to the sun and might need a break, little buddy.

And I know you're never, ever wrong (you tell us all the time), and that being right on a college football message board is the most important thing in the world to you... so sit down for a second so you break your fall... because... you're wrong.

I know this is crazy, but guess what? Tad Foote took a crack at it too, regardless of what you read on the internet and regurgitate here. There was more than one effort to drop football at Miami. His lasted 11 seconds. So no to your self-important "gotcha" moment. And you know what? Even when you are right, you present yourself in such an annoying way it makes you unbearable. So yeah, I don't think you're much fun at parties, or that chicks dig you. I would guess you repel people. You do here.

I have no interest in arguing with you. In fact, I have no interest in you at all. I find you one-dimensional and uninteresting. Good day.

Last edited:
Why, because you heard it on TV? GTFOH you naive clown.

Distinguishing between causality and coincidence is very often a fool's errand. Which would explain why you're so in to it.

On the other hand, I consider the ability to cut through layers of bull**** to get to the truth to be a strength. It's a common trait among successful people, which, again, would explain why it eludes you.

I prefer evidence and data, not this Gossip Girls crap you're putting out there about what Tad Foote "actively or passively expressed his dislike" for. I understand perfectly well what you meant... it's just that it's ******* irrelevant noise and I don't ******* care. I don't care what he said or what he felt... I care what he DID.

I'm not interested in hearsay... I'm interested in facts.

And the only **** FACT anyone has brought to bear so far is that we won more games under Tad Foote than under anyone else.

So as far as I'm concerned, he was a good football president.

Hilarious.

So you pretend like you know the difference between causality and coincidence...AND THEN YOU IMMEDIATELY REFUSE TO PRESENT ANY EVIDENCE OF WHAT FOOTE DID TO "CAUSE" THE FOOTBALL TEAM TO SUCCEED AND YOU REST YOUR CASE ON THE COINCIDENCE THAT THE TEAM WON WHEN FOOTE WAS PRESIDENT.

It's such an idiotic argument that it is breathtaking.

So...since you are such a self-described "expert" on the ability to cut through layers of bullsh!te, then let's do EXACTLY that.

It's simple. Cut your own personal bull****e and tell us what Tad Foote "DID" (your word and capitalization, not mine) that contributed to the success of the football team. And don't tell me "he was UM President from 1981 to 2001". That is NOT causality. That is coincidence. You cannot tell me ANYTHING that Tad Foote "DID" (again, your word and capitalization).

As for your choice to slime anyone who was a student, alum, and/or booster of UM from 1981 to 2001, you are just nuts. You call it "gossip". You call it "hearsay". But I watched 15 years of what Tad Foote said and did and FAILED to say and FAILED to do in relation to the entire Athletic Department, and the football team in particular.

As for your argument, you have presented nothing. Not a **** thing except for the fact that Tad Foote was UM President from 1981 to 2001. You have chosen not to cite EVEN ONE THING that Tad Foote did to causally contribute to UM's athletic success. Except cash his own paycheck for 20 years.

At this point, I'm done with you, and I think everyone else is done with you (except for your upvote pal, Craptical Envelopment). You are entitled to your insane opinion that Tad Foote "was a good football president".

But you're wrong. And fact-free. And argument-free.

Rational people who were there from 1981 to 2001 know the truth. And that's not gossip or hearsay. It's what we all saw and heard and witnessed.

Advertisement
Lord, you're a child. Not mad at all, so nah bud. And I don't know who WrongSaidFred is. And... wow at you getting upset at upvotes and downvotes. I think you're flying a little too close to the sun and might need a break, little buddy.

And I know you're never, ever wrong (you tell us all the time), and that being right on a college football message board is the most important thing in the world to you... so sit down for a second so you break your fall... because... you're wrong.

I know this is crazy, but guess what? Tad Foote took a crack at it too, regardless of what you read on the internet and regurgitate here. There was more than one effort to drop football at Miami. His lasted 11 seconds. So no to your self-important "gotcha" moment. And you know what? Even when you are right, you present your self in such an annoying way it makes you unbearable. So yeah, I don't think you're much fun at parties, or that chicks dig you. I wold guess you repel people. You do here.

I have no interest in arguing with you. In fact, I have no interest in you at all. I find you one-dimensional and uninteresting. Good day.

I'm sure you have the BoT minutes of this 11 second discussion.

Yeah, you don't. It doesn't take much for a dipsh!te such as yourself to state something that you have no evidence of.

There was no serious, organized effort to drop football at Miami from the 1980s onward. Sure, maybe Tad had an 11 second fever-dream, but he never vocalized it or acted on it within the University community. Tad did plenty of other things, including budget cuts, reneging on promises of salary increases, reneging on promises of new facility construction, preventing significant Athletic Department fund-raising during the times when UM was conducting its own major fund-raising campaigns, etc.

But the evidence free "Tad Foote took a crack at it too" statement is just garbage. But keep spinning that yard about the 11 second effort.

Hilarious.

So you pretend like you know the difference between causality and coincidence...AND THEN YOU IMMEDIATELY REFUSE TO PRESENT ANY EVIDENCE OF WHAT FOOTE DID TO "CAUSE" THE FOOTBALL TEAM TO SUCCEED AND YOU REST YOUR CASE ON THE COINCIDENCE THAT THE TEAM WON WHEN FOOTE WAS PRESIDENT.

It's such an idiotic argument that it is breathtaking.

So...since you are such a self-described "expert" on the ability to cut through layers of bullsh!te, then let's do EXACTLY that.

It's simple. Cut your own personal bull****e and tell us what Tad Foote "DID" (your word and capitalization, not mine) that contributed to the success of the football team. And don't tell me "he was UM President from 1981 to 2001". That is NOT causality. That is coincidence. You cannot tell me ANYTHING that Tad Foote "DID" (again, your word and capitalization).

As for your choice to slime anyone who was a student, alum, and/or booster of UM from 1981 to 2001, you are just nuts. You call it "gossip". You call it "hearsay". But I watched 15 years of what Tad Foote said and did and FAILED to say and FAILED to do in relation to the entire Athletic Department, and the football team in particular.

As for your argument, you have presented nothing. Not a **** thing except for the fact that Tad Foote was UM President from 1981 to 2001. You have chosen not to cite EVEN ONE THING that Tad Foote did to causally contribute to UM's athletic success. Except cash his own paycheck for 20 years.

At this point, I'm done with you, and I think everyone else is done with you (except for your upvote pal, Craptical Envelopment). You are entitled to your insane opinion that Tad Foote "was a good football president".

But you're wrong. And fact-free. And argument-free.

Rational people who were there from 1981 to 2001 know the truth. And that's not gossip or hearsay. It's what we all saw and heard and witnessed.

Son, you either can't read or you're on drugs. Last time I'm repeating myself - Distinguishing between causality and coincidence is very often a fool's errand.

If we could jump in a delorean, time travel back to the 80's, and follow Tad Foote around for a couple months, MAYBE we would have enough information about what he actually thought about the football program for that piece of information to tell us anything.

All you have is rumors from 40 years ago.

I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who takes a 20-for-20 on ESPN seriously and gets all emotional when someone challenges it. Sit the **** down, we're done here.

Son, you either can't read or you're on drugs. Last time I'm repeating myself - Distinguishing between causality and coincidence is very often a fool's errand.

If we could jump in a delorean, time travel back to the 80's, and follow Tad Foote around for a couple months, MAYBE we would have enough information about what he actually thought about the football program for that piece of information to tell us anything.

All you have is rumors from 40 years ago.

I can't believe I'm arguing with someone who takes a 20-for-20 on ESPN seriously and gets all emotional when someone challenges it. Sit the **** down, we're done here.

Hey, genius...there is no such thing as a 20-for-20 on ESPN. That's how dumb you are.

I don't have "rumors". I cited multiple issues from the 1980s and 1990s earlier in this thread. Things that I know about, because I was actually at UM at the time. Again, not from "rumors", but from actual events, actual observations, actual reporting (****, I worked on The Miami Hurricane with Dan LeBatard when he actually DID report on sports news).

Again, you have cited nothing. NOTHING.

I have cited numerous things that Tad Foote did AND FAILED TO DO. But, sure, it's all "rumors". So you think it was a "rumor" when Bernie Kosar intentionally threw a football at Tad Foote's head? Do you think Bernie did that over "rumors"?

You're a clown making clown arguments in a clown fashion.

Advertisement
I'm sure you have the BoT minutes of this 11 second discussion.

Yeah, you don't. It doesn't take much for a dipsh!te such as yourself to state something that you have no evidence of.

There was no serious, organized effort to drop football at Miami from the 1980s onward. Sure, maybe Tad had an 11 second fever-dream, but he never vocalized it or acted on it within the University community. Tad did plenty of other things, including budget cuts, reneging on promises of salary increases, reneging on promises of new facility construction, preventing significant Athletic Department fund-raising during the times when UM was conducting its own major fund-raising campaigns, etc.

But the evidence free "Tad Foote took a crack at it too" statement is just garbage. But keep spinning that yard about the 11 second effort.

And there it is. Anything you don't know about, is "garbage" because you know everything, and are never wrong. And here come the childish, petty insults. "dipesh!te." You are an uninteresting bore.

You're simultaneously in two arguments in this thread, and you are pulling your same arrogant, can't be wrong crap in both of them. And the other guy who you keep calling my friend and I don't even agree on the subject! You're the common problem. Maybe that should give you pause to step back and take a look at how you interact on here. Take a minute, little buddy. You need a self-check.

Last edited:

Lock this thread Now......

Does anyone have any evidence that Foote tried to shut the program down? I don't mean articles showing his displeasure with the image, i mean shut it down. If not, maybe stop trying to rewrite history.

Does anyone have any evidence that Foote tried to shut the program down? I don't mean articles showing his displeasure with the image, i mean shut it down. If not, maybe stop trying to rewrite history.

Nothing, outside of Craptical's "11 second" claim.

Foote started in March 1981. His first acts were to cut the size of the undergraduate student body, to reinstate the School of Architecture, and to form the School of Communication. Those were Foote's highest priorities.

One year after Foote started, the Baseball team won its first national championship. Two years after Foote started, Doc Mallios retired as AD and Sam Jankovich was hired, with a promise to revive the Basketball program. Three years after Foote started, the Football team had won its first title, Howard left, and JJ was hired.

Yes, Tad Foote wasn't happy with the way that our Athletic accomplishments quickly drew more press and publicity than his Academic accomplishments. And there were a few UM faculty members (much like the Rutgers 100) who tried to talk about de-emphasizing sports. But there was no big plan to shut anything down under Foote. He was too busy bringing things back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back