Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Look at the PFF. Right now, Pratt at 9th is the 77th pick which is the 13th pick of the 3rd round.

Even picked 9th, it doesn't make sense for Ward. I understand Pratt. Pratt likely won't improve his draft stock much by staying in school. 3rd round would be good money for him. Ward would easily move to the 2nd round and maybe 1st round for 2025.

Either someone is blowing smoke to Ward that he will go sooner or he's making a power play to leverage Miami for more money.

In the last 2 Drafts only 5 and 4 QBs went in the first 3 rounds. I understand how PFF does their rankings but there's no way that number doubles for this year's class. If Ward ends up being the 9th QB on the board then he's looking at the 5th round- and 5th round or later QBs shouldn't be toooo infatuated with that second contract. You're landing in "let's develop this guy as a backup" territory or "it's no biggie if we cut him or stash him on the practice squad after a year" land.

Good luck to the kid. Whatever. I was wrong about where Anthony Richardson would go (even if it's still beyond a question if he'll actually be any good). Only problem is that the league isn't entirely full of meddlesome owners with pill problems. Not entirely.

From ON3, conversation with family-

- Ward’s parents said after the decision was announced that in the end Florida State did also remain in it along with Miami.
- Cam felt at home at Miami, and the family firmly trusted Mario Cristobal and his vision for the offense with Ward at the helm, Miami likely would have been the destination had Ward gone the college route.

- both parents stressed this was never a “done deal” for Miami.

-Behind the scenes Calvin said that the pro option was prevalent over return to college from the start, and that Miami’s opportunity made it a very difficult decision in the end.

“I don’t think they ever had him wrapped up, but he had them as a top contender,” Patrice said.

-Dad says the almost unanimous feedback they got from those in the know is that Ward will go between rounds 2 and 4 of the NFL Draft. Because he’s not as well-known as some of the other highly ranked QBs, and because he picks up the nuances of the game very quickly, there’s a thought that he could move up higher on the draft board rather than sinking lower
-
The family is well aware that by entering the NFL now that Cameron starts his clock earlier on his second contract – after an initial three-year deal comes the “real money” in the NFL. Ward has confidence in his abilities and believes he will make it to that second contract.

Ward also could wind up with a first NFL contract upwards of $6 million over those first three years, so it’s not like he is really losing money in a one-year span. That’s if he is drafted in the third round, which is in the middle of where the family was told he’ll go. That was weighed against if he could perhaps turn into a first-rounder or sure-fired second-rounder a year from now.

“People (that advised the Ward family) think there is a lot of upside (in the NFL Draft this year),” Calvin said. “Once they learn about his dynamic personality, you have to be around him to really know him. Once they know how competitive he is, literally wants to beat the bricks off of you, but you wouldn’t know it to look at him. And his knowledge of X’s and O’s is unbelievable.

“It was a tough decision for him. The thing was making sure he was a fit for (the school). He asked some very good questions. At the end of the day he had two really good options, that was to go pro or return to college. He took it seriously.”

-Calvin says the Miami NIL situation and money involved didn’t change from the start of the process, and that the family’s representatives never asked for a bigger NIL deal.

He pointed out that when Cameron transferred to Washington State that he had other NIL offers for much more money.

“The first time in the portal there were (NIL offers) triple what Washington State (had),” Calvin said.

Mom adds that with Miami’s NIL situation “They were pretty steady from the beginning. The money never played as big a factor – it had to be the right fit.”

-“We talked to Mario this morning, the conversation went great,” Calvin said. “Cameron, he was leaning pro after entering the portal – the train was headed down the track to go pro but he was looking at college, and he was really looking at Miami very deeply."
Family is getting some really bad advice from someone. 5th round is his floor in the draft not the ceiling imo. 5th to 7th is a better projection

Advertisement
Ward family says they were likely going NFL from the jump and Mario is still left with his **** in his hand

It ain’t over yet.

If it was up to me, I’d offer the $2MM to Dillon Gabriel. Or maybe the Duke kid.

Yes they’ve committed elsewhere but if you’re not enrolled you’re a free agent. Committed doesn’t mean ****.

Plan C is go tamper with someone

Posted this a while ago. I said this then, but Salter would probably be by far top portal QB. I'd offer him what we offered Ward and see what happens. Now that NCAA can't stop him from transfering twice it's worth a shot. After that I'd be on Jaylen Raynor, Seth Henigan, and probably trying to get Pratt again. **** maybe Texas wants Arch to start and Ewers isn't ready to leave.... lol. Legit I'd be going to every top Qb in CFB and offering our $2M or whatever it is.

NameSchoolTD / TD%INT / INT%Rushing TD / AttemptsAdjusted Yards/AttemptQB RatingQBR2024 Team
Kadion SalterLiberty28 / 12.17%5 / 2.17%11 / 12811.9183.883.8Liberty
Michael PrattTulane19 / 8.44%4 / 1.78%4 / 7810.0169.565.5Draft?
Jaylen RaynorArkansas St14 / 6.45%5 / 2.3%5 / 1009.6155.653.4Arkansas St
Joey AguilarApp St29 / 8.22%8 / 2.27%2 / 669.1156.873.2App St
Jayden MaiavaUNLV13 / 4.98%6 / 2.3%3 / 599.1153.057.2Portal 1/1/24
Chandler RogersNorth Texas26 / 7.07%4 / 1.09%4 / 989.0152.262.1Cal
Cam WardWSU22 / 5.03%5 / 1.14%8 / 1098.3146.864.7NFL
Seth HeniganMemphis24 / 5.81%8 / 1.94%4 / 868.2148.370.6Memphis
Will HowardKSU24 / 6.72%10 / 2.80%9 / 817.5140.175.5tOSU?
Taulia TagovailoaMaryland25 / 5.72%11 / 2.52%5 / 687.7145.173.4Draft?
DJ UigaleleiOregon St21 / 6.66%7 / 2.22%6 / 688.7145.080.6FSU
Salter did nothing against Oregon, running or passing. I'd look hard at Maiava, but I still say backchannel the kid from USF who is better than any of them.

Advertisement
Getting a big contract out of college is much easier than earning a big contract once you're in the NFL. These guys always think they'll start from the bottom but there's so much **** talent, with new talent coming in every year. I think they assume it's still like college and they'll just out talent or outplay the next guy.

Hopefully we get some interesting portal entrants by Midnight tonight. Today is the last day to enter until after spring. (Maybe grad transfers can still enter?)

Grad transfers can enter.

Also, anyone who played in a bowl game or playoff game past December 28th, as you get 5 days past your bowl game.

Thus, anyone who played in a bowl game on December 28th must enter the Portal by today.

January 2:
Everyone else except transfers from the schools below.

January 3:
Clemson
Kentucky
Oregon State
Notre Dame
Memphis
Iowa State
Missouri
Ohio Taint

January 4:
Ole Miss
Ped State
Auburn
Maryland
Georgia
F$U
Toledo
Wyoming

January 6:
Wisconsin
LSU
Liberty
Oregon
Iowa
Tennessee
Alabama
Texas

January 13:
Michigan
Washington

And keep in mind, that is when the player must NOTIFY the school, sometimes it takes a couple of days to see the name in the Portal.

The January 6 and January 13 days are over the weekends.

If Kellen Mond's bum *** can go in the 3rd, I see no reason Ward couldn't. Just sucks he strung us out
It depends on the quality of the QBs in the same class, this one looks pretty stacked at the position.

Advertisement
Family is getting some really bad advice from someone. 5th round is his floor in the draft not the ceiling imo. 5th to 7th is a better projection
there was never anything to think about if he is a legitimate 2-4 round pick. family definitely needed to warm up to that Idea meaning I don't think they believed it. in the end people believe what they want to believe and they were convinced by advisors and I suppose they think he is going to get drafted high.

Advertisement
Many wanting to blame Mario on this one, but this is a 2 person process. You make your best pitch, lay out all the opportunities, benefits and positives, but at the end of the day the unknown is how the other party will respond. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Anyone who's ever participated in negations at the work place should understand this basic concept.

I don't blame Mario for identifying and liking Cam Ward.

I blame Mario for the tunnel vision of ONLY pursuing Cam Ward.

This isn't high school recruiting, you don't have as much time to circle back on second choices.

It ain’t over yet.

If it was up to me, I’d offer the $2MM to Dillon Gabriel. Or maybe the Duke kid.

Yes they’ve committed elsewhere but if you’re not enrolled you’re a free agent. Committed doesn’t mean ****.

Plan C is go tamper with someone

It is funny to watch some of the posts on this board (not referring to yours)...

"Tamper, tamper, tamper, if you're not tampering, you're not trying."

"That guy in the Portal just verbally committed to X University and didn't sign anything, so we should give up on him."

Hilarious...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back