Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Edited the OP because some wording was unclear. There are different plans in place. We aren’t starting from scratch. But the first choice was closing on Ward and there is a lot of work to do.
Lots of work to do before spring academic deadline?

Ward will be the 9th or 10th QB selected in the draft either before or after Pratt. Even at 9th, he'd be a 3rd round pick.

I think the factor here is 3rd round money plus 1-year into his rookie contract. However, the money is quite different for 2nd vs 3rd.

The first pick of the 3rd round is $5.85 million contact plus a $1.26 million signing bonus.

The first pick of the 2nd round is $9.9 million plus and a $4.2 million signing bonus.

I'm not sure what the Ward camp is looking at. Declaring for the draft doesn't make sense because it doesn't make dollars. $7 million vs $14 million and it could be higher if he's drafted in the first round in 2025.

Ward would easily double his rookie contract by returning to school for another year.

Last edited:
Doesn’t call plays on either side of the ball.

Needs help with situational decision making.

What does he do on the sideline all game long?

Here's the thing...I don't think he's a QB killer...but he's got a bit of a reputation, even if its a little more nuanced to recruits and actual people in coaching.

A bottleneck in many Mario teams is the QB position. I think that is a fair critique. He did a good job with Herbert, but did not have an offense that suited his arm (Arroyo was so much short stuff and maybe Mario got 85 cents on the dollar of Justin Herbert and thats a knock, I suppose. Either way...its Mario's job to reverse this misconception. It has already stung him multiple times through two recruiting cycles. Anthony Brown kind of maxed out there and beat Ohio State, but Oregon couldn't score against Utah unless Kyle Whittingham let them score, which he did after 28-0, and with 5m left in the Pac12 title game. So, the dichotomy of Mario that year. That's basically us right now.
Lets just go with TVD right off the bat we dont have to look far. lol

Advertisement
Ward will be the 9th or 10th QB selected in the draft either before or after Pratt. Even at 9th, he'd be a 3rd round pick.

I think the factor here is 3rd round money plus 1-year into his rookie contract. However, the money is quite different for 2nd vs 3rd.

The first pick of the 3rd round is $5.85 million contact plus a $1.26 million signing bonus.

The first pick of the 2nd round is $9.9 million plus and a $4.2 million signing bonus.

I'm not sure what the Ward camp is looking at. Declaring for the draft doesn't make sense because it doesn't make dollars. $7 million vs $14 million and it could be higher if he's drafted in the first round in 2025.

Ward would easily double his rookie contract by returning to school for another year.
He’s a 5th to later I bet

He’s a 5th to later I bet
Look at the PFF. Right now, Pratt at 9th is the 77th pick which is the 13th pick of the 3rd round.

Even picked 9th, it doesn't make sense for Ward. I understand Pratt. Pratt likely won't improve his draft stock much by staying in school. 3rd round would be good money for him. Ward would easily move to the 2nd round and maybe 1st round for 2025.

Either someone is blowing smoke to Ward that he will go sooner or he's making a power play to leverage Miami for more money.

Advertisement
Look at the PFF. Right now, Pratt at 9th is the 77th pick which is the 13th pick of the 3rd round.

Even picked 9th, it doesn't make sense for Ward. I understand Pratt. Pratt likely won't improve his draft stock much by staying in school. 3rd round would be good money for him. Ward would easily move to the 2nd round and maybe 1st round for 2025.

Either someone is blowing smoke to Ward that he will go sooner or he's making a power play to leverage Miami for more money.
Ward will go higher then Pratt.

From ON3, conversation with family-

- Ward’s parents said after the decision was announced that in the end Florida State did also remain in it along with Miami.
- Cam felt at home at Miami, and the family firmly trusted Mario Cristobal and his vision for the offense with Ward at the helm, Miami likely would have been the destination had Ward gone the college route.

- both parents stressed this was never a “done deal” for Miami.

-Behind the scenes Calvin said that the pro option was prevalent over return to college from the start, and that Miami’s opportunity made it a very difficult decision in the end.

“I don’t think they ever had him wrapped up, but he had them as a top contender,” Patrice said.

-Dad says the almost unanimous feedback they got from those in the know is that Ward will go between rounds 2 and 4 of the NFL Draft. Because he’s not as well-known as some of the other highly ranked QBs, and because he picks up the nuances of the game very quickly, there’s a thought that he could move up higher on the draft board rather than sinking lower
-
The family is well aware that by entering the NFL now that Cameron starts his clock earlier on his second contract – after an initial three-year deal comes the “real money” in the NFL. Ward has confidence in his abilities and believes he will make it to that second contract.

Ward also could wind up with a first NFL contract upwards of $6 million over those first three years, so it’s not like he is really losing money in a one-year span. That’s if he is drafted in the third round, which is in the middle of where the family was told he’ll go. That was weighed against if he could perhaps turn into a first-rounder or sure-fired second-rounder a year from now.

“People (that advised the Ward family) think there is a lot of upside (in the NFL Draft this year),” Calvin said. “Once they learn about his dynamic personality, you have to be around him to really know him. Once they know how competitive he is, literally wants to beat the bricks off of you, but you wouldn’t know it to look at him. And his knowledge of X’s and O’s is unbelievable.

“It was a tough decision for him. The thing was making sure he was a fit for (the school). He asked some very good questions. At the end of the day he had two really good options, that was to go pro or return to college. He took it seriously.”

-Calvin says the Miami NIL situation and money involved didn’t change from the start of the process, and that the family’s representatives never asked for a bigger NIL deal.

He pointed out that when Cameron transferred to Washington State that he had other NIL offers for much more money.

“The first time in the portal there were (NIL offers) triple what Washington State (had),” Calvin said.

Mom adds that with Miami’s NIL situation “They were pretty steady from the beginning. The money never played as big a factor – it had to be the right fit.”

-“We talked to Mario this morning, the conversation went great,” Calvin said. “Cameron, he was leaning pro after entering the portal – the train was headed down the track to go pro but he was looking at college, and he was really looking at Miami very deeply."

Advertisement
Many wanting to blame Mario on this one, but this is a 2 person process. You make your best pitch, lay out all the opportunities, benefits and positives, but at the end of the day the unknown is how the other party will respond. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Anyone who's ever participated in negations at the work place should understand this basic concept.

Many wanting to blame Mario on this one, but this is a 2 person process. You make your best pitch, lay out all the opportunities, benefits and positives, but at the end of the day the unknown is how the other party will respond. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Anyone who's ever participated in negations at the work place should understand this basic concept.
Everyone knows that. Once Ward didn’t fully commit after the visit, Mario should’ve had a contingency plan. He’s done the same **** the past 2 years. You can’t be ****y and arrogant when you produce a bad product on the field.

I don't see Ward being picked until the 5th round. JMO

Advertisement
Posted this a while ago. I said this then, but Salter would probably be by far top portal QB. I'd offer him what we offered Ward and see what happens. Now that NCAA can't stop him from transfering twice it's worth a shot. After that I'd be on Jaylen Raynor, Seth Henigan, and probably trying to get Pratt again. **** maybe Texas wants Arch to start and Ewers isn't ready to leave.... lol. Legit I'd be going to every top Qb in CFB and offering our $2M or whatever it is.

NameSchoolTD / TD%INT / INT%Rushing TD / AttemptsAdjusted Yards/AttemptQB RatingQBR2024 Team
Kadion SalterLiberty28 / 12.17%5 / 2.17%11 / 12811.9183.883.8Liberty
Michael PrattTulane19 / 8.44%4 / 1.78%4 / 7810.0169.565.5Draft?
Jaylen RaynorArkansas St14 / 6.45%5 / 2.3%5 / 1009.6155.653.4Arkansas St
Joey AguilarApp St29 / 8.22%8 / 2.27%2 / 669.1156.873.2App St
Jayden MaiavaUNLV13 / 4.98%6 / 2.3%3 / 599.1153.057.2Portal 1/1/24
Chandler RogersNorth Texas26 / 7.07%4 / 1.09%4 / 989.0152.262.1Cal
Cam WardWSU22 / 5.03%5 / 1.14%8 / 1098.3146.864.7NFL
Seth HeniganMemphis24 / 5.81%8 / 1.94%4 / 868.2148.370.6Memphis
Will HowardKSU24 / 6.72%10 / 2.80%9 / 817.5140.175.5tOSU?
Taulia TagovailoaMaryland25 / 5.72%11 / 2.52%5 / 687.7145.173.4Draft?
DJ UigaleleiOregon St21 / 6.66%7 / 2.22%6 / 688.7145.080.6FSU
Numbers matter. But I wouldn’t get fixated on them. This fan base would have exploded if he brought in Penix or Daniels when they transfered

No one here is bashing Mario for trying to get the top QB in the portal, the thing that bothers me right now is the fact that he didn’t have a plan B in place. Unlike FSU.

DJU is not an elite QB by any means but who knows if Mario will get a better option for Miami? It doesn’t look good right now.

No one here is bashing Mario for trying to get the top QB in the portal, the thing that bothers me right now is the fact that he didn’t have a plan B in place. Unlike FSU.

DJU is not an elite QB by any means but who knows if Mario will get a better option for Miami? It doesn’t look good right now.
How do you know we don’t have a Plan B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back