Strength and Conditioning

so what's your thoughts?

I wrote something earlier but it said mods had to approve it. I'll do a TLDR.

1) Swasey was not good. While he may have been a nice guy, he had no background in exercise physiology, no understanding of the latest research (nor did he care), no relevant industry standard certifications, and coasted on "well this is how we've always done it". I had friends working under him and they said a lot of the things they saw were not good.

2) Comparisons to Richt's S&C coach at UGA are flawed. Joe Tereshinski was at one point their videographer and had been there since literally the 80's. He had no idea what he was doing and I wrote a relevantly popular Reddit post explaining that I think he was the reason so many UGA players were having non-contact ACL tears.

3) I've been a little removed from the scene since I moved back to Atlanta from Miami. Felder at least has a background in Kinesiology which is nice to see, but I think the posts ripping on S&C are reactionary. Our players look conditioned, and I agree with Richt that this is more about getting better athletes into the program which will continue.

4) I think it was tough to keep a high level of conditioning with recovery since we had no bye week and little depth. Everyone's just looking for someone to blame when really we overachieved this year. Richt is doing a good job with a lot of Golden's recruits still hanging around, and he will continue to recruit better athletes and we will see that demonstrated on the field.

Advertisement
Granted guys can get much stronger and bigger with a solid S&C coach but also depends how big their frames are coming in
- Our DL - size and strength has to be top 10 - but these guys came in big
- Our OL - not even close

Is it not worth a legitimate discussion?

Did you want to have a legitimate discussion after the Notre Dame game? Or VT? Nope.

Miami fans just love digging at old wounds and looking for an old injury to complain about. Clemson is a freaking machine, assembled over the last 5 years, and we are not. We aren't there depth wise, we certainly aren't there at QB, and we had freshman all over the field and key starters out with injury. Our best slot DB (also a TF) got injured on the first drive. S&C has nothing to do with any of that crap.

All year long we've seen this team win the second half and 4th Q especially. THATS S&C, not getting bullied by a more talented, better built and highly efficient program.

The caveat I'll throw out there is the OL. Searles does nothing for me, but I'll admit teams figured out Malik about mid season and the good ones learned he sucks, so just fill the box and make him hit throws. The OL was overburdened by his shortcomings.

Exactly. We’ve dominated the second half and fourth wuarter under Richt, but a loss here or there and we get chicken**** hot takes from the usual trolls.

Because endurance and strength are exactly the same thing, right?

Just look at tape of Georgia or Alabama and then look at us. We look scrawny in comparison.

You mean the Georgia team that Richt built................Gotcha.

LOL...touche...have you seen UGA's O line? Beasts!!!

I'd like to see some big bruisers getting recruited up front instead of us hoping 3 stars can bulk up to 5 star status in one offseason.

Advertisement
The OL is not talented enough to compete at the level of Clemson. When Bethune-Cookman can stuff short yardage runs you know there’s a problem. Lack of fullbacks and blocking TEs doesn’t help.

The team is far better conditioned than two years ago. Stronger, too, but even at 19-20 years old strength takes time. It used to be the norm for it take OL and DTs two seasons to develop the requisite strength and technique.

Tackling is another problem. A lot of tries for a big hit rather than making the tackle. A lot of bad angles too, and not just McCloud. Often a step slow.

Last edited:
First thing Richt said when he got to Miami was where are all the big guys. Recruit the big uglies then S&C falls in line.

Advertisement
We look visibly skinnier and weaker than some of the other teams I watched today. Especially Georgia.

Been that way since 2002. And now we have the worst 3rd and short, goal line, etc in America because we get our **** pushed in. Can't open up a crease for the RB anyway.

We get physically dominated by decent teams.

What's up with that?

How much bigger would we have looked if rosier hit on those 3 TDs a game he over/under threw?

Ain't heard **** about S&C all year but we lose to the #1 team in the country and now we have an S&C issue.
MF's get in their feelings after a loss and start coming up with all kinds of theories.

Ain't heard **** about S&C all year but we lose to the #1 team in the country and now we have an S&C issue.
MF's get in their feelings after a loss and start coming up with all kinds of theories.

right. when almost every qb we faced was limping off the field at the end of the game or we were passing the chain around, everything was gravy.

Actually we have.

S&C program
Rosier
Richt/Playcalling
Manny

Were probably the most discussed (non-recruiting) topics this season.

right. when almost every qb we faced was limping off the field at the end of the game or we were passing the chain around, everything was gravy.

Hitting a QB a lot has nothing to do with S&C program or are we forgetting Syracuse ran for 264 yards that game? While we basically needed the long homer TD to barely crack 100 rushing against S-Y-R-A-C-U-S-E. Maybe only getting 54 and 45 yards against UNC and Pitt.

Advertisement

Actually we have.

S&C program
Rosier
Richt/Playcalling
Manny

Hitting a QB a lot has nothing to do with S&C program or are we forgetting Syracuse ran for 264 yards that game? While we basically needed the long homer TD to barely crack 100 rushing against S-Y-R-A-C-U-S-E. Maybe only getting 54 and 45 yards against UNC and Pitt.

when we have an offense that can stay on the field, i would judge them more. Listen, we know mannys style, its aggressive, but we dont have great secondary talent and our defense is ALWAYS forced back on the field.

Actually we have.

S&C program
Rosier
Richt/Playcalling
Manny

when we have an offense that can stay on the field, i would judge them more. Listen, we know mannys style, its aggressive, but we dont have great secondary talent and our defense is ALWAYS forced back on the field.

If we actually got any push on running plays against those teams we would sustain more drives and win the time of possession battle more thus defense being on the field less.

Christ we’re back to slamming S&C for getting **** pushed in. But hard to believe our retarded run blocking isn’t somehow based on our line being soft

It's not that they are soft. It's because they are not ATHLETIC enough at the college level. Almost all of these kids are Art's guys. Kehoe got knocked because he couldn't coach. That's b.s. because he could coach. He couldn't recruit. He tended to recruit kids just like him. Hard working overachievers. Problem is many of these kids peeked in high school. A three hundred pound kid dominating at the high school level doesn't say much if he doesn't have the athleticism to play at the next level. Art also wanted maulers. That's great but not for zone blocking teams.

Advertisement

Agreed. Elite offensive lines are recruiting elite high school athletes. Offensive line is the hardest to project but it is really looking for kids who have long reach (arms), quick feet and athleticism in space. For example, take Donaldson. The premise that he can be a premise tackle is nonsense in my opinion. He has reasonably good athleticism to be a very good college guard and he'll improve once he drops another 25 pounds. Quick tackles are eating him alive right now. He has the potentially to be a first team all-conference guard in short order if he drops the weight. He was rushed into service because we just don't have enough elite lineman.

I just re-watched a condensed version of the Clemson game. They couldn't run the ball on us at all. They got zero push against our D-line.

So I guess our D-line doesn't have an S&C issue but our O-line does.

Or maybe...just maybe...we have a talent issue on the O-line.

I just re-watched a condensed version of the Clemson game. They couldn't run the ball on us at all. They got zero push against our D-line.

They averaged like two YPC. S&C is a fake issue.

The OL has been subpar this year. I can’t tell if it’s due to talent or coaching, but it’s not because of S&C.

They averaged like two YPC. S&C is a fake issue.

The OL has been subpar this year. I can’t tell if it’s due to talent or coaching, but it’s not because of S&C.

Maybe bc no one was scared we would/could throw deep ........missed Brad in a big way

Advertisement
Back