Stop bashing CMR

The special teams is a big problem. FSU should not have passed 14 points. 2 of their TDs resulted directly from bad special teams. We gonna have to figure how to get another punter in here.
Richt HAS to address the STs this off season....It's been a longggg time since I've seen such ineptitude in something that UM had always prided themselves on....

Advertisement
We won

But....we came out FLAT
This is Miami FSU
Play calling at times was atrocious. At times we ran the ball on offense when we had no business doing so.
This was a home gane against our arch rival and the players looked looked lethargic and out of it in the first half. Get these guys ready and amped to play. We have some real talent. USE IT

Lol the players were trying to fight at every stop. How did they look lethargic? The reason we were trailing wasn’t because we weren’t “up for it”. Francois finally learned to get the ball out quickly and hit some accurate throws. That’s why we were losing

I don't know if you're going to read my post and that is fine. I think, as do others, that it is obvious that there are issues holding us back. These issues are still obvious and remain uncorrected. None of this means fire Richt TODAY. It is just a discussion of those issues.

We have a coach to continues to take us to levels we haven't been at since around 2003 or so . It is one thing to admit he needs to improve on a thing here or there but to act like he isn't a top 15 coach is being a total idiot . Best coach since JJ we have had hands down. Period.

1. Regardless of whether he is/isn't top 15. Assuming he is a top 15 coach, what is your point? Is everything perfect? Are there no issues? Should we stop discussing on a message board?

2. Do you think it is an accomplishment "to take us to levels we haven't been at since around 2003"? In that span we had some of the crappiest coaches. Those coaches will likely never be HCs at this level again. So beating some coaches who ride the short bus is NOT an accomplishment. Not only were our coaches atrocious, the coaches they coached against (in the ACC) tend to skew towards the sub-par.

Since 2003, if we had an average coach (during that span). We would have performed better. Instead we had that murder's row of awfulness.
One of those coaches was so bad (Golden) that the team performed better AFTER he was fired without any coaching.

3. At what point will Richt make changes. Is he content? Why can't he just be CEO? I actually think Richt can be much better if he fixed some obvious things and got some help. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting help; some of the best coaches (Saban) get help. Saban actually is a great defensive coach but he still goes out and gets great coaches to help him call plays and make decisions (especially personnel).

Richt's garbage playcalling is good enough for 16th scoring offence in FBS........

Please note: I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

A few points and some questions:

1. Are there no obvious issues with the offense?

2. As for the stat, how about some context:

- We scored 249 points in 6 games or 41.5 PPG.
- Of those 249 points, 77 points or ~31% happened against SSU.
- Of those 249, our defense scored 21 points or ~8% against UNC.
- Taking away the above, our offense scored 151 points over 5 games or 30.2 PPG.
- Against P5 teams, our offense scored ~24 PPG.

3. Who cares what we're ranked TODAY? It wasn't the offense that got us our P5 wins this year. It wasn't really the offense that got us 10 wins last year. The real or main reason our team performs the way we do is our defense. This defense has issues too but they're carrying the load.

Advertisement
The special teams is a big problem. FSU should not have passed 14 points. 2 of their TDs resulted directly from bad special teams. We gonna have to figure how to get another punter in here.

1. We knew this last year.

2. There is dead weight on the current staff. Bring in a real ST coach.

Please note: I am not concerned with comparing us to others, especially at this juncture, I am just concerned with the actual accurate numbers.

- Taking away the above, our offense scored 151 points over 5 games or 30.2 PPG.

3. Who cares what we're ranked TODAY? It wasn't the offense that got us our P5 wins this year. It wasn't really the offense that got us 10 wins last year. The real or main reason our team performs the way we do is our defense. This defense has issues too but they're carrying the load.
That's what happens when you had a below average QB who can't complete passes and that's what happens when you have a FR who has only now started 2 games. Disappointed in the run game v FSU but they stacked the box and Richt kept running on first down. Offense played well in the other games. ST is a major liability and costing us

I saw a lot of drops and a QB that had a little jitters at first. Richt’s playcalling was fine. He wins and I drank too many beers. Special teams had a bad game. It’s a rivalry and FSU came to play.

Everything about today's game except one thing can be explained by the fact that it is a rivalry game. FSU came to play and they have 5 stars all over the field. I can overlook the offense stalling and uninspired playcalling. The thing I can't overlook is the special teams abortion I've been seeing for 3 facking years. Shanked punts, holding (even when their punter kicks the ball sideways!), missed FGs, it happens nearly every game and Richt has not addressed it. If Miami was just AVERAGE on special teams we win this game by 14.
are saying that the ST coach is teaching holding, blocking in the back and punt shanking.??

Advertisement
I don't know if you're going to read my post and that is fine. I think, as do others, that it is obvious that there are issues holding us back. These issues are still obvious and remain uncorrected. None of this means fire Richt TODAY. It is just a discussion of those issues.

1. Regardless of whether he is/isn't top 15. Assuming he is a top 15 coach, what is your point? Is everything perfect? Are there no issues? Should we stop discussing on a message board?

2. Do you think it is an accomplishment "to take us to levels we haven't been at since around 2003"? In that span we had some of the crappiest coaches. Those coaches will likely never be HCs at this level again. So beating some coaches who ride the short bus is NOT an accomplishment. Not only were our coaches atrocious, the coaches they coached against (in the ACC) tend to skew towards the sub-par.

Since 2003, if we had an average coach (during that span). We would have performed better. Instead we had that murder's row of awfulness.
One of those coaches was so bad (Golden) that the team performed better AFTER he was fired without any coaching.

3. At what point will Richt make changes. Is he content? Why can't he just be CEO? I actually think Richt can be much better if he fixed some obvious things and got some help. I don't think there is anything wrong with getting help; some of the best coaches (Saban) get help. Saban actually is a great defensive coach but he still goes out and gets great coaches to help him call plays and make decisions (especially personnel).
E.X.A.C.T.L.Y

I saw a lot of drops and a QB that had a little jitters at first. Richt’s playcalling was fine. He wins and I drank too many beers. Special teams had a bad game. It’s a rivalry and FSU came to play.
STs have Sucked for 3yrs
Playcalling is mediocre at best

There are issues with the O. Rather than bash the **** out of them, I prefer to look at improvements being made.

The big, huge, massive, steps we have taken this year are 3 things.

1) Third down conversions.

2) Short yardage runs. Choc has been money.

3) Red zone scoring

Those three things have gotten massively better. If that continues and Perry continues to improve the pass game, we will continue to score points in bunches this year.

OL and a more consistent run game are the 2 areas needed to take the next step to championship levels. I doubt those will be solved this year. If the trend of steady improvements under Richt continues, 2019 could be a very special offensive football team.

ST needs a lot of work.

That's what happens when you had a below average QB who can't complete passes and that's what happens when you have a FR who has only now started 2 games. Disappointed in the run game v FSU but they stacked the box and Richt kept running on first down. Offense played well in the other games. ST is a major liability and costing us

We addressed the QB stuff, in this thread (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/mark-richt-will-get-it-done-long.136643/). I'm not rehashing it.

None of this negates the above post (you responded to).

Advertisement
We’ll have the ol set by year 5.....I hope

Believe you are correct on year 5 for OL. Hardest position to recruit players that can come in and play without time in S & C. Special teams another matter, if you got athletes that can be fixed quickly.

There are issues with the O. Rather than bash the **** out of them, I prefer to look at improvements being made.

3) Red zone scoring

Those three things have gotten massively better. If that continues and Perry continues to improve the pass game, we will continue to score points in bunches this year.

Bashing? It is a discussion.

Please note the numbers below are just against ACC play and the sample for 2018 is incredibly small.

2016 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 29.38 (This includes the 14 points the D scored against GT, 2 Fumble TDs) [Actual Points Scored is 27.625]
Yards Gained: 394.13
Turnovers: .63
Sacks: 2
Tackles for Loss: 5.5

2017 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 27.125 (This includes the 7 points the D scored against UVA, Johnson Pick 6) [Actual Points Scored is 26.25]
Yards Gained: 392.625
Turnovers: 1.25
Sacks: 2.375
Tackles for Loss: 5.375

----- (Through UNC and FSU)

2018 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 37.5 (This includes the 21 points the D scored against UNC) [Actual Points Scored is 27.00]
Yards Gained: 330
Turnovers: 1.5
Sacks: 3.5
Tackles for Loss: 9.5

OL and a more consistent run game are the 2 areas needed to take the next step to championship levels. I doubt those will be solved this year. If the trend of steady improvements under Richt continues, 2019 could be a very special offensive football team.

4 years to bring in the right talent for the offense? How come the defense with a average DC doesn't need 4 years? Perhaps this offense would be very special with better coaching?

Last edited:
Advertisement
are saying that the ST coach is teaching holding, blocking in the back and punt shanking.??
The biggest issue that I saw with yesterday’s performance which is indicative of poor coaching was the coverage. Every time we punted yesterday I had to hold my breath because I was scared it wa going to be returned for a touchdown. Every punt you have Homer haul *** down the field about 15 yards ahead of everyone else and he took bad angles and over ran the runner and then everyone else is running down the field a different levels which is violating the cardinal rule of punt coverage. And it didn’t happen just once or twice but ever time we punted. I know that they try to get some backups some playing time on that team but some of those guys just should never see the field......

3) Red zone scoring

ST needs a lot of work.

DJ Scaife at OT, and Donaldson moving back to G, could transform our OL overnight. Once we made that move we were able to pound the ball right down FSU's throat to get that W. Let's see what happens at UVA.

DJ Scaife at OT, and Donaldson moving back to G, could transform our OL overnight. Once we made that move we were able to pound the ball right down FSU's throat to get that W. Let's see what happens at UVA.

Sorry I formatted wrong. I fixed my post above.

Advertisement
Back