Stock Down - Travis Homer

Advertisement
He doesn't have any wiggle! if there is someone in front of him he 90% of the time tries to run him over?

There are a few runs in particular that showcase Dallas' special traits. He's agile with light feet so he's able to sift through traffic and get skinny to find holes on inside zone. But then he's also great running power because he's shifty and drives his legs through contact. Add in the fact that he has proven receiving skill so you can use him on screens and split him outside, and there you have a premium NFL talent. Now it's just a matter of maintaining production like this.

If he had more speed and burst he'd basically be Alvin Kamara. I wouldn't say he has elite power either so I agree that the combine might be an issue.

No question Homer has a major role on this team. He's a reliable pass protector which is very valuable. I just think his running style would be more effective later in drives vs. worn-out fronts because he needs creases to get downhill where he's so dangerous in the open field. Plus he and Dallas should be able to share the field because Dallas is so versatile, but Richt refuses to incorporate many modern run-spread elements.

Note: the traits that make Dallas great are shared by Kenny McIntosh so that's a tough miss

There are a few runs in particular that showcase Dallas' special traits. He's agile with light feet so he's able to sift through traffic and get skinny to find holes on inside zone. But then he's also great running power because he's shifty and drives his legs through contact. Add in the fact that he has proven receiving skill so you can use him on screens and split him outside, and there you have a premium NFL talent. Now it's just a matter of maintaining production like this.

If he had more speed and burst he'd basically be Alvin Kamara. I wouldn't say he has elite power either so I agree that the combine might be an issue.

No question Homer has a major role on this team. He's a reliable pass protector which is very valuable. I just think his running style would be more effective later in drives vs. worn-out fronts because he needs creases to get downhill where he's so dangerous in the open field. Plus he and Dallas should be able to share the field because Dallas is so versatile, but Richt refuses to incorporate many modern run-spread elements.

Note: the traits that make Dallas great are shared by Kenny McIntosh so that's a tough miss

Dallas reminds me of Kerryon Johnson from Auburn. His favorite NFL back is La’veon Bell and you can see the similar patience there, too.

Homer is definitely an NFL RB. No question.

But no question he's been off this year. Been playing slower, less physical, less decisive. Looks like he's just going through the motions at times.

That sweep vs. Toledo in the 2nd quarter - Homer last year walks in untouched. This year he's pushed out at the 2.

He struggled on the road last year as well, so I'm hoping the next 3 home games he gets back to his usual intensity.

Advertisement
If we had any semblance of a passing game, Homer would excel at draw plays. When he gets past that 1st line of defenders, he is at his best.

I've been saying since the summer that I don't think he fits well on this team with our zone blocking scheme. He doesn't really see those cutback lanes. He would be better in a power blocking scheme, IMO. Tell him where the hole should be and let him hit it hard.

If we had motion, pitches, zone blocking....all of this would help Travis and all of our RBs.

Travis, however, just doesn’t have that next gear burst and his ability to cut back, see holes, it’s been rather **** poor so far.

Stay tuned. Homer will break off a few big runs and everyone's opinion will suddenly change.

He's had almost no opportunities to hit a hole fast and explode to the back 7. He's had to pick and weave through the trenches on every carry.

Yearby had great vision. He found the creases a lot better than Walton did

Yearby wasn't as good as Homer not as mature, too much ego for special teams, he had an issue with being 2nd in a rb rotation??... two different players. Yearby wouldve stayed until his Senior year and still been out of the league by now.

Homer's talent is NFL ready, fast and physical... he needs work on his vision and patience but there is room for a rb with his level of talent in the NFL in some capacity, especially on special teams to start. I would be happy if he stayed but there would be no drop off if he left.

Advertisement
Yearby had great vision. He found the creases a lot better than Walton did

Yes Yearby's vision was elite.. and his feet / cutting ability was some of the best i've ever seen. Immaturity was his down fall... I think if he was mature as Walton, he wouldve started bc he had more talent imo. But based off of how Yearby was when he was here in terms of the baggage.. he wasn't NFL caliber.

Homer is different has the right make up that NFL teams like... not selfish, practices hard everyday, isn't scared of contact, and is a special teams ACE. Yes he can come back but I dont see how that's going to help him in a crowded backfield.

Homer is a balla. Period. We are lucky he's on this squad. He bleeds Orange and Green and works like an animal. He'll also bust some huge plays for us at some point.

So far in 2018 Dallas has been more productive. Props to him. Let's not sell one of our guys short cause the other one has simply been more productive. This is a good thing.

He’s not having the season I expected Him to have, **** it man lol
Some of us tried to tell you there were too many bodies at HB for him to get the yards and carries you were predicting.

He's still alright, but he's not as talented or as pure a back as most of the other HBs on the roster.

Yearby wasn't as good as Homer not as mature, too much ego for special teams, he had an issue with being 2nd in a rb rotation??... two different players. Yearby wouldve stayed until his Senior year and still been out of the league by now.

Homer's talent is NFL ready, fast and physical... he needs work on his vision and patience but there is room for a rb with his level of talent in the NFL in some capacity, especially on special teams to start. I would be happy if he stayed but there would be no drop off if he left.

You can't say Homer's an NFL talent if he wouldn't even get drafted at this stage. Also, just because a guy isn't going to get drafted in the NFL, doesn't mean he should leave early. Are you even thinking of the logic here?

Advertisement
last year his opportunity came on the heels of a walton injury, and early on he was making bigger plays in the pass game before he started breaking big runs in big games, we may want to get back to getting him the ball in screens and space

Richt will always have a 2 or 3 back system. As long as Homer is 1a or 1b he will be in there. Kid is valuable, just need to get that train rolling. Without him we are a 7 or 8 win team last year.

A quality offensive line usually does wonders for a RB. We have regressed in that position group. Searles needs to force an attitude change on that group. He is the coach I'm that should have fingers pointed at him.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
There isn’t one underclassman on this year that is even remotely ready for the NFL. (besides Jeff Thomas)

In every game Homer had 60+ yds last year, he always had 1 big gain to help his ypc. Which is typical of a lot of RB's

GT - was a monster game,
Cuse - 20 carries - 95 yds, a long of 33 yds.
N.C. 16 carries - 40 yds
VT - 14 carries - 95 yds, a long of 64 yds
N.D. - monster game - 18 carries - 146 yds, a long of 40 yds
UVa - 17 carries - 96 yds., a long of 36 yds
UW - 12 carries - 64 yds, a long 20 yds.

He just hasn't broken for that 1 Big gain this year

Before the season started, I said Homer was gone after this year. Not looking the way I expected, but then a lot of things aren't looking the way I saw through my "Hope" glasses.

Long season left.

But, I'll take my L early on this one and move on.

Still like the kid, a lot, and hope we give him some holes to show the kind of talent he has. Getting a screen or check down thrown his way, on time and on target, every now and then wouldn't hurt either.

Advertisement
Back