Stock Down - Travis Homer

HighSeas

Sophomore
Week 3 Prospect Stock Market: Sell Big On Stidham - The Draft Network

16 carries for 62 yards isn’t all on Homer, as Miami’s offensive line is far from perfect. But Homer just isn’t decisive or explosive enough to take advantage of slight creases up front, and he’s not the type of playmaker to create yardage on his own outside of structure or at the second level. He’s currently losing carries to true sophomore DeeJay Dallas, which could hurt Homer’s chances to build a resume that would suggest an early entry to the draft.

Hard to disagree with anything he said. Homer has average traits and is running like a JAG this year. Meanwhile Dallas is consistently exploding through holes, making guys miss and finishing runs - with plus traits in the passing game. He looks like a 1st round bellcow back who deserves most of the touches. This situation is one to monitor entering conference play.

Advertisement
He looks slow and indecisive this year. Surprised Richt wasn't reeling off player's weights during fall pressers ala Golden seeing how fat and slow some of our players look.

Advertisement
Still too early. Easy. He'd run better if we could zone block worth a ****. He's not a wiggle guy, as you mentioned.

Also, while I love what Deejay brings, 1st round seems like a stretch.

If we had any semblance of a passing game, Homer would excel at draw plays. When he gets past that 1st line of defenders, he is at his best.

I've been saying since the summer that I don't think he fits well on this team with our zone blocking scheme. He doesn't really see those cutback lanes. He would be better in a power blocking scheme, IMO. Tell him where the hole should be and let him hit it hard.

He doesn’t have average traits he just needs more help than a rb like DJ Dallas. His talent is still Elite like it was last year and when he was a high school recruit.

What’s the difference between this year and next year, he’s a talented RB but there is going to be a lot of talent chopping at his heels...

He’s better off going to the NFL after this season, prove his worth like Duke Johnson and Freeman did and get the next contract.

I hope he doesn't have Yearby syndrome of letting himself go in being satisfied with meritocracy then say , I need what's best for my family in going to Not For Long league then fade away to Publix bag boy...SAD.

He'll go with AR , hope not but who knows all depends on how much BALLERS they watch on HBO staring the ROCK.

GOCANES

Advertisement
He's got place for a 3rd down back. As @scrantoncane said, draw plays he's good at. I think that's where he excels, you can have him pass pro, keep in in the backfield and make him run a Tail route (i.e., swings, flats, under etc) or motion out to the slot for a route or to block. I think that's his home and he's above average at that. Just not an every down guy.
Dee Jay is gooooood though.

He doesn’t have average traits he just needs more help than a rb like DJ Dallas. His talent is still Elite like it was last year and when he was a high school recruit.

What’s the difference between this year and next year, he’s a talented RB but there is going to be a lot of talent chopping at his heels...

He’s better off going to the NFL after this season, prove his worth like Duke Johnson and Freeman did and get the next contract.

We really need to stop trying to kick quality players out the door early. Everyone made the same argument for Yearby. He wasn't drafted, was invited to camp and couldn't even make a practice squad. His football career's over. No degree in hand either. Right now, Homer wouldn't even get drafted. Duke was a day 2 pick. Freeman was an early 4th round pick. Homer at this rate wouldn't even get drafted.

My biggest complaint is the passing game with him. Last season he was consistently getting open and making moves against LBs. I've only seen one or two screens this year.

Last edited:
He's not really playing that much different this year than last, he's just not getting as many carries. Last year, he would struggle for long periods of time until eventually breaking off a long run that would make his overall numbers look good despite being ineffective for a majority of the game. Much like a majority of our offense for the last 7 or 8 years, it was all or nothing.

Dallas does a better job of finding the crease and squeezing out 3 and 4 yard gains. Second and six is a lot easier for the offense than second and nine.

I really like the idea of using Dallas early to soften up the D and then hitting them with the 1-2 combo of Homer and Lingard to break their backs.

Advertisement
Lol at people saying he is elite. All he had was speed and burst at the line. You can't be an early round draft pick at RB if you need perfect holes to run. That doesn't happen in the NFL and in games where you are facing an elite dline (LSU & Clemson for example).

At his best, he would be a mid-round draft pick. He's trending undrafted at this point. Love Dallas' vision and ability to get extra yards after contact. If he had elite speed, I could see him being drafted in the early rounds.

His vision isn't the best, and he needs reps to get going. Definitely not ready for the league.

Advertisement
We really need to stop trying to kick quality players out the door early. Everyone made the same argument for Yearby. He wasn't drafted, was invited to camp and couldn't even make a practice squad. His football career's over. No degree in hand either. Right now, Homer wouldn't even get drafted. Duke was a day 2 pick. Freeman was an early 4th round pick. Homer at this rate wouldn't even get drafted.

Yearby wasn't as good as Homer not as mature, too much ego for special teams, he had an issue with being 2nd in a rb rotation??... two different players. Yearby wouldve stayed until his Senior year and still been out of the league by now.

Homer's talent is NFL ready, fast and physical... he needs work on his vision and patience but there is room for a rb with his level of talent in the NFL in some capacity, especially on special teams to start. I would be happy if he stayed but there would be no drop off if he left.

Dallas is running better, but Homer is the same guy he's always been. One-cut with NFL speed (second-fastest player on our team) and toughness.

Nobody said he was a franchise NFL back like Edge or Portis. He is just a really good football player who will play on Sundays, barring injury.

The bottom line is we need to block better on zone runs. One thing I've noticed is that when you have a patient runner who is not having success, the fan base cries for someone who "doesn't dance and gets upfield." When the one-cut runner has issues, they want a patient guy who can make people miss. We have both and we need both.

I think that fumble in the LSU game is playing with his mind. He hasn't been the same since that fumble in week 1.

Advertisement
Back