Stacy Searels trash?

Not so sure I'd say that. His first two seasons were the most successful seasons at Miami in 15 years. He was instrumental in getting the practice facility, even donating his own money. When he floundered in season three, he had the integrity to step down, essentially giving away millions of dollars remaining on is contract. He surely made some questionable hires and didn't get the spectacular results we were all hoping for but he definitely didn't "kill" the program here. If anything he breathed a little bit of life into it and left it in better shape than when he inherited it.
Spot on. Yet we have posters calling him an *******. Smh

Advertisement
Do we have someone who can actually play right tackle though? Ideally Nelson would redshirt and not be forced to play at 275 ish pounds. However if him and Scaife are the two best tackles, then that's who needs to be out there.

No doubt. Herbert, Campbell, Hillery, Brown, Kennedy were brought here to play tackle and it's alarming that it took 17 year old Zion Nelson 3 weeks to pass them on the depth chart. Donaldson was brought here to play tackle but couldn't hack it. Searels really does look worse all the time.

Really?!?! Another coach who was absolutely clueless and unqualified. I tell you that Corch Mork Richt really knew football. He was a slightly better CEO than Golden and just as bad as him as a coach.

Mark was a far better CEO (turned the program around from an operational/fundraising perspective) and a slightly better coach (our offense in 2018 was atrocious, but probably not quite as bad as our defense in 2012... kind of splitting hairs though).

Not so sure I'd say that. His first two seasons were the most successful seasons at Miami in 15 years. He was instrumental in getting the practice facility, even donating his own money. When he floundered in season three, he had the integrity to step down, essentially giving away millions of dollars remaining on is contract. He surely made some questionable hires and didn't get the spectacular results we were all hoping for but he definitely didn't "kill" the program here. If anything he breathed a little bit of life into it and left it in better shape than when he inherited it.

A bar so low a paraplegic could clear it.

I get it, it's very easy to defend him when you look at it through the lens of our past coaching staphs this century, but it still stings we hired him when his career was so clearly in a downwards trajectory. He may have delivered one somewhat successful season and one very successful (by our standards) season and donated money to an already all but guaranteed IPF, but there were better hires out there that were easy choices and would've outperformed his career here by leaps and bounds. It came back to bite us in the *** by the end of season 2 and almost decimated the program if he didn't do a thing literally never seen before and walk away from millions.

Advertisement
Like @Ecush would say, this guy Searles use to just yell at kids on the sideline. Not a very effective leader and could not get kids to respond other than being very aggressive. I think it probably works for some kids, most it does not which is why we saw a lot of problems.

Advertisement
Scaife is our best tackle right now. I think some people are getting too caught up on the fact the he's 6'3, but that doesn't matter if you play with good technique. I really want to see him as our starting LT especially in the 1st game.

exactly if the kid's getting the job done and protecting the blindside fook the height

Just noticed Bryant McKinney talking about how Searels destroyed the olines confidence and criticized some of their technique. Just wondering if anyone else has heard anything about what a **** show this guy was. Definitely gives me a little more hope for our oline.
Yes plenty. A number of posters made similar comments after sitting right behind our bench that all Searles did all game long was scream and berate our OL. No coaching, teaching, helping, adjusting...just screaming and berating, as if our only issue was a lack of motivation or these kids didn't care. Not to say plenty of coaches don't yell or that it's not deserved at times, but that can't be all you do.

Advertisement
Yes plenty. A number of posters made similar comments after sitting right behind our bench that all Searles did all game long was scream and berate our OL. No coaching, teaching, helping, adjusting...just screaming and berating, as if our only issue was a lack of motivation or these kids didn't care. Not to say plenty of coaches don't yell or that it's not deserved at times, but that can't be all you do.
Seems that he was very adept at yelling.........

Two points.

I was suspicious of the Searles hire right from the start because his track record while long, was pretty mediocre. He coached a bunch of bad offensive lines with only a few standout years. I figured Richt had to hire someone with experience on offense since the rest of the offensive staff was 100% green.

I actually prefer to have former players come back and help out rather than try to become coaches. There's a lot more to coaching than showing up to a couple practices and giving pointers. I really don't think a lot of these former players, especially the retired NFL stars want to invest the time into the recruiting, film study and preparation that takes up a huge amount of a college coach's time. Having an NFL pro bowl tackle come in and give advice and work on technique with the guys is great though.

If Im not mistaken ,he has never coached more than three years at any program. that was a red flag to me and many others

Advertisement
A bar so low a paraplegic could clear it.

I get it, it's very easy to defend him when you look at it through the lens of our past coaching staphs this century, but it still stings we hired him when his career was so clearly in a downwards trajectory. He may have delivered one somewhat successful season and one very successful (by our standards) season and donated money to an already all but guaranteed IPF, but there were better hires out there that were easy choices and would've outperformed his career here by leaps and bounds. It came back to bite us in the *** by the end of season 2 and almost decimated the program if he didn't do a thing literally never seen before and walk away from millions.
He wasn't a savior. I just had an issue with the phrase "he kills everything he touches". If anything, the program was dead before he got hired. He left UM the same way he left UGA, in better shape than he found it but not up to the fans' standards. As for other hires that "would have outperformed his career by leaps and bounds" that could be true but in reality it's purely speculation. Just an assumption.

It has to be Tate. They brought him in as a transfer and have to think they’re giving him every opportunity to win the position. Can’t see the coaches putting him at a disadvantage after a summer of him reportedly outworking the other guys.
He's still gotta win the job on the field. Being a workout warrior doesn't matter as much at QB and this staff ain't playing favorites either. Just because they brought him in as a transfer doesn't give you a leg up. KJ Osborn is the only transfer they brought in that is projected to start (we'll see about Trevon Hill) and he earned it. Everybody has to outright earn their spot, QB included.

He's still gotta win the job on the field. Being a workout warrior doesn't matter as much at QB and this staff ain't playing favorites either. Just because they brought him in as a transfer doesn't give you a leg up. KJ Osborn is the only transfer they brought in that is projected to start (we'll see about Trevon Hill) and he earned it. Everybody has to outright earn their spot, QB included.

Of course he has to earn it. My point is if the coaches have made their decision it was probably not deciding against Tate. You can’t put him behind the others after his spring game and outworking in the other in the offseason. If Nkosi was in the lead I think we’d have more of an open competition right now.

Advertisement
Back