Speed at corner

Advertisement
This thread is just more comedy, the #1 pass defense in the nation, and guys worried about the secondary. How much speed did Jhavonte dean have but kept getting torched out their. As a db you need more quickness than speed, that's what the safties are for, in case the receivers get behind you!

it’s like anything else, you work at it. But you or your coach has to know what they’re doing. The biggest problem is most S&C do not know how to teach speed and that’s why most football players don’t improve their 40 from high school to college
You can't teach it. Working at it =/= teaching someone to be fast. You can train for a 40 too. So much of the 40 time involves the form. You cannot teach someone to be fast, though. Speed is not taught.

Advertisement
You can't teach it. Working at it =/= teaching someone to be fast. You can train for a 40 too. So much of the 40 time involves the form. You cannot teach someone to be fast, though. Speed is not taught.
40 times can be improved through coaching. Being a fast football player is not something that can be taught. There's a reason why NFL bound players pay track coaches to show them how to run the 40. They're already fast. They're just looking for technique to run the most efficient 40 yard dash.

JJ had speed camp. He disagrees. I’m slow and always have been but JJ seemed to think it could be, tried and his teams never lacked speed. I’ll stick with him.

He recruited speed though. The truth is that you can coach a kid to play faster, i.e. quicker thinking, better positioning, anticipation, but physically you can only do so much to improve their top speed and acceleration.

There's a reason why you don't see guys go from running 4.7's to 4.4's and scouts value guys with elite speed.

Advertisement
Idk ask Marshall Few
FFFFFFFFEEEEEEWWWWWWWWW(Soulja Boy voice)?!?!?! You mean Few who did most of his damage across the middle while AH was running zone and might I add while cuz was at free safety?!?! Notice how **** tightened up after they went into man. If I can recall, Few was almost a pick 6 victim when cuz was moved to cb on him. I'm not tryna **** on Few either, I love him but you're acting like the game plan was for Ty to shadow him and he roasted him. The fact that you brought up Few lets me know you're reaching. You could've at least brought up when lil Roy from the West caught cuz lackin to **** near force OT or when Hightower got him in the Army game. Far as this year, **** yeah he took his lumps, a gang of em. But at the end of the day, he started 11 out of 14 games, forced a couple fumbles, housed one, and had a strong Cotton Bowl performance for a top 10 team. And he still ain't 19 yet. I ain't gone let you tell a bald headed *** lie on my fam to make a case that speed ain't everything at corner. I know it ain't, at corner or any other position, otherwise this **** would be Track. Being dirt slow in football may be a death sentence but not being blazing fast definitely isn't. I don't even like talking bout my people in here no more. He ain't a Cane so I have no need or desire to mention him unless someone asks or someone says some false and/or hating ****, and you been tryna sneak jab here and there lately...

Last edited:
Blades had one of the best short shuttle times in the country a few years ago. Not sure of his long speed but he can move the way a CB is supposed to move. Quick and agile

He recruited speed though. The truth is that you can coach a kid to play faster, i.e. quicker thinking, better positioning, anticipation, but physically you can only do so much to improve their top speed and acceleration.

There's a reason why you don't see guys go from running 4.7's to 4.4's and scouts value guys with elite speed.

He absolutely recruited speed. Even in the oline, he didn’t want to see any thick ankles. Jimmy was all about speed.

Advertisement
I was just looking at some numbers and found them interesting. Dudes keep talking bout campbell being so fast. He ran a 4.47 which is good speed but his shuttle was a 4.51. Ivey shuttle was a 4.2. Blades shuttle was a 4.34. Patrick joyner had a faster shuttle than cambell with a 4.43.

It tells me campbell is good straight line but isnt as quick moving laterally. Guys like ivey and blades may not have the long speed a campbell does but they are much quicker.
I agree totally. While I do believe cuz is quicker laterally than that shuttle(you could see the fluidity and hip flip at AH and UGA (when he wasn't overthinking)), he's definitely more straight-line fast than laterally quick. He's working on it. Again speed isn't everything at CB. Each guy has their strengths and weaknesses, and it's all about effort to strengthen your all-around game and coaching to harness and fine tune said effort. As long as the guys we have are dogs and Rumph keeps coaching em up, we'll be fine until the next 4.3/4.4 kid wants to sign up...

This isn’t accurate. It happens more than you’d probably believe where kids go form 4.7’s to 4.4’s and even 4.3s. (By the way, I’m talking hand times)

I don't know what you're trying to say about hand times. Hand times are notoriously inaccurate.

However, I realize what I said isn't entirely accurate, especially when talking about a high school kid who has not fully developed physically nor has trained to run 40's. The point I'm trying to make is that elite speed is either something you have or something you don't have. If you could teach speed, Dallas Crawford would have been a great safety and Michael Jackson would be a guaranteed first rounder.

Again, you’re wrong. Dead wrong. I’m actually surprised someone upvoted you; which is to say that they know less than you do - so that should be comforting to you.

Speed IS taught. How do you think athletes get faster? Asafa Powell was 10.50 at 19 and *** was 10.56 at 18; their career bests are 9.72 and 9.69, respectively.

Barry Sanders took two tenths (.20) off of his 40 in college.

If a team’s players are not getting faster, a coach might want to look at his S&C program.
Improving speed and teaching speed are not the same thing AT ALL. You don't take a guy who is not fast and make him a fast guy. Using professional sprinters who improved on their times from teenagers and two guys who were caught doping anyways doesn't prove your point.

Shaving .2 off a 40 does not equal teaching speed.

Obviously, these guys should be able to get faster with a college level S&C program. Still, you're not about to make guys fast who aren't fast.

Advertisement
I agree totally. While I do believe cuz is quicker laterally than that shuttle(you could see the fluidity and hip flip at AH and UGA (when he wasn't overthinking)), he's definitely more straight-line fast than laterally quick. He's working on it. Again speed isn't everything at CB. Each guy has their strengths and weaknesses, and it's all about effort to strengthen your all-around game and coaching to harness and fine tune said effort. As long as the guys we have are dogs and Rumph keeps coaching em up, we'll be fine until the next 4.3/4.4 kid wants to sign up...

I know you're a Miami fan and Campbell is your relative. But he played Richt, Manny and Rumph like a fiddle. So, no offense, Rattler, but **** him. I'll go to the Georgia board if I want to read about him (which I don't) ... I'd welcome your thoughts about the kids that want to be Hurricanes, though.

This isn’t accurate. It happens more than you’d probably believe where kids go form 4.7’s to 4.4’s and even 4.3s. (By the way, I’m talking hand times)

This is something that should probably be analyzed more on a case by case basis. I ran track with plenty of guys who improved their 100 meter by more than half a second from one year to the next, but I also ran track with plenty of guys who basically never improved in their four years despite putting in all the work. However, the point remains that guys who run 4.3's get drafted because they have true speed, not because they were coached well in the 40 yard dash

I know you're a Miami fan and Campbell is your relative. But he played Richt, Manny and Rumph like a fiddle. So, no offense, Rattler, but **** him. I' go to the Georgia board if I want to read about him ... I'd welcome your thoughts about the kids that want to be Hurricanes, though.
I respect your stance, if you wanna say **** him, cool. Because it's **** every other guy who ain't a Cane for me. I don't bring him up on here, I only respond if someone asks about him or says some untrue **** about. He gets called all kinds of **** on here, scumbag, traitor, POS, etc. I don't say anything about that, get it off your chest. Y'all know I don't White Knight for him about every little thing that's been said on him. If I did, I woulda probably beefed with 95% of CIS. But if you try to downplay my cuz talent I'ma always say something. This is last time saying ANYTHING about him up on the board no matter what. PM me if y'all have anything to ask me or say about him...

Advertisement
Back