Speed at corner

Advertisement
Athleticism is more important for Safeties than it is Corners imo. Quickness and hip flexibility is more important than straight line speed for tall CBs anyways. Obviously I'd love the next Patrick Peterson without a doubt, But I'm satisfied with long physical guys with good hips that can run sub 4.6. I'll take that all day.

Advertisement
I was just looking at some numbers and found them interesting. Dudes keep talking bout campbell being so fast. He ran a 4.47 which is good speed but his shuttle was a 4.51. Ivey shuttle was a 4.2. Blades shuttle was a 4.34. Patrick joyner had a faster shuttle than cambell with a 4.43.

It tells me campbell is good straight line but isnt as quick moving laterally. Guys like ivey and blades may not have the long speed a campbell does but they are much quicker.

I was just looking at some numbers and found them interesting. Dudes keep talking bout campbell being so fast. He ran a 4.47 which is good speed but his shuttle was a 4.51. Ivey shuttle was a 4.2. Blades shuttle was a 4.34. Patrick joyner had a faster shuttle than cambell with a 4.43.

It tells me campbell is good straight line but isnt as quick moving laterally. Guys like ivey and blades may not have the long speed a campbell does but they are much quicker.
Very underrated post

You know why we had a lot more 4.3 guys back in the day? Because testing was far less accurate. It was a coach with a stop watch. He decided how fast he wanted guys to be. Watch the NFL combine and see how many laser 4.3 times there are. Not many. Lots of 4.3 guys get really slow at the combine.

The fastest linebacker in the nation isn't anywhere near 4.3.
For the most part, the reports list a kid who runs a 4.49 as a ‘4.4’ kid.

Willie Williams ran in the 4.4s. DJ did, iirc. Darrin Smith and Jessie Armstead clocked sub-4.5s in their time.

Advertisement
Advertisement
For the most part, the reports list a kid who runs a 4.49 as a ‘4.4’ kid.

Willie Williams ran in the 4.4s. DJ did, iirc. Darrin Smith and Jessie Armstead clocked sub-4.5s in their time.
Then they go to the combine and that 4.49 becomes a 4.64.

Length > speed

lol. Ok. The reality is you need a bit of both. There's no reason why Miami can't have NFL DB's year in and year out. I talk about speed all the time and how the best players have a speed element to their game to go along with other intangibles. Being tall alone doesn't make you great just like being super fast doesn't make you a great football player.

Advertisement
Some of you guys are on the rock. Sub 4.4 guys? Find me them in the NFL. They aren’t as abundant as some think. Footwork, fluid hips and technique for CB’s. The first two are a blessing the last is coached. To a certain extent even footwork(drop steps) can be coached. I’d love another Buchanan, but he was more than just fast. That guy was a football player that was a great athlete not the other way around. We had A LOT of those guys back then. I hope Manny & staff can identify those guys again.

Go Canes!

Speed at corner is overrated. If you can run a 4.6 and blanket a receiver you don't need that little bit more of breakaway speed. 4.4 corners are good for tracking down a busted play. Other than that....?

Speed at corner is overrated? Ok. smh. Theres a reason why most all NFL starting cb's can run and it ain't no dam 4.6

I think he can play there... I can def see why we want him at corner, but I think Holmes can play RB. Looks like he put on weight between sophisticating and junior. Hopefully more this year.
Copy that, thanks for info. Nice that he is getting bigger. He is an electric player

Advertisement
Back