Rumor Special Teams Coach - Marwan Maalouf

Advertisement
I’m confused about this being an off field position. Like there’s no way the ST coach wants to talk to anyone in-game regarding kick coverage, returns, setting up for a block, or anything like that? Sure, I can see how it’s possible, it just seems odd that you’d have a guy coach the players then not be around to manage things during the game.

This is really then trend in major CFB, especially with explosions in staff size. Coaches don't want to use a on-field spot for a role that can be done mostly by an analyst and has little recruiting value.

So this guy will handle everything in practice/gameplanning, then they'll probably just split up gameday responsibilities amongst the staff

Advertisement
I can’t believe a bunch of yall are Phins fans & don’t know who Marwan Maalouf is lol.

He came from Schiano’s staff at Rutgers back in the day, I remember from my Ravens during our playoff runs back in 09-2011, we had some of our best Special teams back then too.

He’s a long time experienced coach with specific qualification in ST’s, which is HUGE for us!
This!

If Feldman ever does write another book about the program there certainly will be some interesting material about this staff. Just in the last few weeks alone we added a dude with a Stanley Cup ring, a SECOND NFL HoF'er and now a dude born in Beirut, Lebanon!

Combination of things. Dan Bailey got the yips bad at the end. Problem was more controllable things looked rough. Punt returns were awful. Made Osborne look unplayable. Some is probably attributed to Zimmer but the unit as a whole was better this season without him.
Unfortunately the special teams has been a problem with my Vikes for a while too.

Advertisement
Don’t ever trust anything Vikings fans have to say LOL. Let’s enjoy this big boy hire!
His unit was pretty bad. By in large though Mike Zimmer had bad ST units. It’s fair to say Zimmer played too much into that room because he ruined some decent kickers and ran off Cordarelle Patterson. But with Maloof as top dog the unit wasn’t great.

His unit was pretty bad. By in large though Mike Zimmer had bad ST units. It’s fair to say Zimmer played too much into that room because he ruined some decent kickers and ran off Cordarelle Patterson. But with Maloof as top dog the unit wasn’t great.
As an off the field analyst I love the hire….

That’s what this is… he’s not coaching for my Dallas cowboys or even for my Miami hurricanes on the field… dude is here for a modest salary while working “part time” in coaching world terms and gets to live in South Florida while he figures out his next move… but hey haters gonna hate

Patterson was not a great WR, but was lights out as a KR. Everytime he touched it I thought he was housing it.

Advertisement
He’s an off field analyst though. He’s coaching in the ACC now and not the NFL. It’s a win win.

ESPN's Pete Thamel reported on Sunday evening that Miami added veteran NFL special teams coach Marwan Maalouf to its staff.

InsideTheU can confirm that Maalouf, who has spent time with the Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings, and Indianapolis Colts since coming into the league in 2004, will be on Mario Cristobal's staff but will not be considered an on-field assistant. Maalouf spent 15 seasons as either an assistant special teams coach or special teams coordinator.

Maalouf, 45, began his career as an assistant offensive line coach at Baldwin Wallace University in Berea, Ohio in 200 before taking the same role at Fordham University.

The year after, Rutgers brought Maalouf in as an assistant offensive line coach and graduate assistant for two seasons before becoming a scout for the Browns. While in New Brunswick, Maalouf and Cristobal crossed paths while the Hurricanes head coach was an offensive tackles and tight ends coach and Maalouf was a graduate assistant.

In 2005, Maalouf got his first shot in the pro ranks as a special teams quality control coach with the Browns. After two years with the Browns, Maalouf was hired by the Baltimore Ravens to be the assistant special teams coach, where he spent three seasons before leaving to be a special teams coordinator for the first time in his career.

After a season with the Colts, Maalouf spent the next six years with the Miami Dolphins as an assistant special teams coach.

He got another crack to be a special teams coordinator in 2019 with the Minnesota Vikings and he stayed in that role through 2020.

In my opinion only way to judge a coordinator is by returns, coverage, and kick protection. In terms of punters and kickers you either got it or you don’t. Nothing a coach can do to make you a better kicker.

Advertisement
I just want to say I was Wrong about Mario hiring his staff
I Respect That The Four GIF by Diddy

He isn't a great ST coach and I would have been upset if this guy took up an on the field spot. But as an off field guy, I think its a pretty good hire.

Advertisement
Back