South Florida Express 7on7 Tryouts Today

Anyone have a breakdown of how it went. I couldn't make it this year.

Someone asked about Sony...I'm not sure if he knee is fully healed yet.

Yeah thats why I was curious. Besides how awesome he is I was wondering if he is healthy yet.

Advertisement
Sony be injuried might actually help Miami. He wouldn't be as highly recruited and easier to get

Sony be injuried might actually help Miami. He wouldn't be as highly recruited and easier to get

Yeah right. He would probably be an elite recruit on one leg.

Doesnt matter how hard he is recruited he is ours to lose though.

Advertisement
Here are the players that stood out according to ITU

Dunn
Anthony Walker
Jermaine Grace
Roman Tatum
Simeon Thomas

I can PM the article to anyone that wants it (too lazy to summarize it all lol)

Here are the players that stood out according to ITU

Dunn
Anthony Walker
Jermaine Grace
Roman Tatum
Simeon Thomas

I can PM the article to anyone that wants it (too lazy to summarize it all lol)

I would definitely like to read it

Nvm it's a free article lol

HOLLYWOOD, Fla. - The South Florida Express tryouts have been a sort of right of passage for the elite skill players in south Florida. It has seen the likes of Geno Smith, Stedman Bailey, Brandon McGee, Duke Johnson and countless others compete in one of the most competitive settings in the country.

Wendell Dunn has the look of a physical specimen.
Once again, the elite 7on7 squad gathered on Saturday for another skill showcase. This year, the biggest standout wasn't playing wide receiver or defensive back as is often the case. Instead the top player came from the linebacker position, and it didn't take long for him to stand out.
As soon as Miami (Fla.) Palmetto's Wendell Dunn stepped out of his car on Saturday, you couldn't miss him. Dunn lists his size at 6-3 and 210 pounds and he looks every inch and pound of that. As a sophomore, Dunn played safety. He moved down to linebacker as a junior and after picking up 95 tackles in 2011, he looks to have found a home.
On Saturday, Dunn was easily the most impressive prospect from a physical standpoint but he also backed up his appearance with strong play during one-on-ones and 7on7. He closes in on ball-carriers quickly and moves well in space. Dunn also switched over and played some wide receiver displaying very natural ball skills and fluid athleticism.
On the recruiting front, Dunn has picked up an offer from Southern University but expect many more to flood in quickly this spring. Currently, Dunn is most anxious to see his hometown Hurricanes extend an offer.
Loaded at linebacker
While Dunn was the star of the afternoon, there was plenty of talent alongside him at the linebacker position. Miramar High School was one of the most talented programs in the country in 2011 and linebacker Jermaine Grace was part of the reason why.
Grace showed great range, and athleticism in coverage on Saturday looking more like a safety than a linebacker from an athleticism standpoint. Grace doesn't have great height but he does have good length and seems to play bigger than his size. Similar to Dunn, Grace took some snaps on offense as well and showed good comfort level catching the football.
The linebacker talent was rounded out by Anthony Walker, a 2013 prospect out of Gulliver Prep. Walker was All-state as a safety during his sophomore season and then earned All-state honors as a junior in 2011 as well. It's not hard to see why. The thick, physical prospect has the look of a kid that can be a presence in the run game but he also was very natural in coverage. Walker's body of work should earn him plenty of interest this spring.

Simeon Thomas was the most unique prospect in attendance.
The class at defensive back
Arguably the top cornerback at the event on Saturday was Roman Tatum out of Winter Garden (Fla.) West Orange. He had already showed out well at the Under Armour All-American Combine earlier this year and he continued to back that performance up.
Tatum was physical in press coverage, showed the ability to turn and run with speed vertically and he attacks the football in the air. If he wasn't the best cornerback at the event Saturday, Tatum was definitely the most complete.
Another cornerback that turned some heads was Simeon Thomas out of Miami Gardens (Fla.) Carol City. Thomas is incredibly unique at 6-foot-4 and you wouldn't expect him to be able to cover at that size but the safety moves extremely well, didn't get beat all afternoon and he's impossible to beat on a jump ball.
Though he is thin, Thomas shows physicality on film and could be one of the real sleepers in south Florida.
Fresh Peete
Devante Peete was one of the youngest prospects in attendance at the Saturday tryouts. At 6-foot-5, Peete was also one of the biggest prospects in attendance. The Pompano Beach (Fla.) Blanche Ely wide receiver just finished up his freshman season and already has five touchdown catches to his name. He's just getting started.
Peete doesn't have great straight-line speed yet but he is very quick off the line of scrimmage, has great feet and catches the ball with ease. As he continues to develop his game, Peete has future star written all over him and has as much upside as any prospect in attendance on Saturday.

Freshman Devante Peete already has size you can't teach.
Future stars at corner
Tryouts for the South Florida Express brought out some of the top young defensive back prospects the area. Two of the standouts on Saturday were class of 2015 cornerbacks Tyrek Cole (Miramar) and Rashard Causey Jr. (University School).
Cole, regardless of classification, was one of the top corners in coverage throughout the day. The 5-foot-10 170-pounder was aggressive with the hands and quick with the feet in press coverage, and showed the ability to stay attached and run with receivers deep. In the short and interediate game, his reactions were quick and his ability to change direction and make plays on the ball without playing through receivers impressed. Look for Cole to emerge as one of the top young defensive backs in the area on Friday nights in 2012 after playing junior varsity as a freshman.
Causey Jr., was set to play on varsity as a freshman, but had his season cut short due to injury. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound perfectly proportioned corner was terrific in press coverage all day. His ability to get his hands on receivers and re-route was particularly impressive. He also showed the ability to close on the ball and finish plays with impressive ball skills in the short and intermediate passing game. Causey Jr. hopes to hear from Florida State, Miami (Fla.), Alabama. LSU and Florida in the future.
Pair of 2014 WR's show well
Like the defensive back position, youth ruled at wide receiver on Saturday and two of the best come from the class of 2014.
Miami Central continues to produce some of the top talent in the county and the 2014 class will be more of the same. Wide receiver Jakari Lockett (Miami/Central) showed promise throughout the day featuring a 6-foot-2, 170-pound wiry frame that will add strength in time. While he struggled against press coverage at times, when he got a clean release, he quickly got into his routes with ease and showed the ability to sink the hips and create separation consistently. He also snatched the ball out of the air with near ideal extension in the short and intermediate game.
Garrett Johnson (West Orange) also impressed with his quickness. The 5-foot-9,160-pounder got a clear release the majority of his reps and quickly separated from corners and safeties. He showed the ability to make the tough catch look routine against attached coverage, and his feel for timing the ball in the air was among the best of the young receivers on hand.

http://247sports.com/Article/Dunn-shines-in-Florida-60107

Advertisement
former UM CB, Chad Wilson's son Quincy (a class of 14 CB) did very well also and is considered a near UM lock

IIRC Chad posted on Canestime

former UM CB, Chad Wilson's son Quincy (a class of 14 CB) did very well also and is considered a near UM lock

IIRC Chad posted on Canestime

Chad used to post on Canestime, does anyone know if he still does?(I don't visit that mess anymore)

Advertisement
Wendell Dunn doesnt have alot of hype but is a well known talent around south florida.

From Bakas today:
The South Florida Express (traveling 7on7 team) held its tryout today and there were several major college prospects there. I talked to 16 different players who I believe are Division 1 caliber prospects. Amazingly, 14 of them told me UM was their early favorite.
:newman:

FAP

Advertisement
it has begun

From Bakas today:

The South Florida Express (traveling 7on7 team) held its tryout today and there were several major college prospects there. I talked to 16 different players who I believe are Division 1 caliber prospects. Amazingly, 14 of them told me UM was their early favorite.

:newman:

Supposedly Wendell Dunn beasted out there

Wendell goes to my school loves the []_[] would definitely commit if offered . A great kid on and off the field and is a leader on a weak team he just breads positive vibes when on the field.

The best football players in South Florida are getting together to try out for the top 7on7 team in Florida. And they will be getting coached up by some recent alums:

1. Why is Bush in all Adidas gear? he's with a Nike school now.

2. DMoney....you know how i can acquire one of those south florida express shirts/hoodies?

I don't think he can get any Nike gear from the school "officially" until he's enrolled.

Advertisement
Back