Something Went Wrong with the D Hires

Advertisement
It was probably Jessica Simpson not Jess Simpson
She would get recruiter of the year immediately!
images.jpeg

Advertisement
I agree. T-Rob was originally announced as the new Defensive Backs coach with Banda out and Rumph speculatively out.

Now this position-swap nonsense with DVD and Rumph, and now T-Rob is the Safeties coach.

T-Rob probably thought other coaches were being brought in. Coaches that he probably wanted to work with.

Makes sense that it was Muschamp. They worked together at UF.
they worked together at UF you say? Hmmm, no where else, right? ha.

At the time of that tweet Jess was not hired yet. I’m 100% on that.

I was told a few hours ago that he got a call yesterday saying it was his job if he wanted it.

Someone turned us down or didn’t work out or whatever
I would say Wilson stayed at Colorado as DC-DL coach, that would be my guess.

@Dr.L.ThugU sent me a PM saying Buddy Ryan was the guy Manny was hiring.
You trying to say @stevehick is hung like a light switch ?

I have been reading this board for 6+ years now and some of the biggest mysterious that remain to this day:

1. Who was camper #178?;
2. Who was Deejay's Ace?;
3. And for the love of god I cannot figure out if the 3 of you hate or love one another....

Advertisement
I agree. T-Rob was originally announced as the new Defensive Backs coach with Banda out and Rumph speculatively out.

Now this position-swap nonsense with DVD and Rumph, and now T-Rob is the Safeties coach.

T-Rob probably thought other coaches were being brought in. Coaches that he probably wanted to work with.

Makes sense that it was Muschamp. They worked together at UF.
Muschamp will get his *** knock the **** out by NFL players, if he tries dog cussing them like he did college kids! Bank on that

if we believe that Manny swung and missed on a DC, and I think the answer is clearly yes, then we have to ask ourselves why? What happened in light of the many candidates that were out there (see the list complied by LCE)? Was it a control issue? DC autonomy? Were the candidates insisting on a new scheme? Did candidates not have confidence in his ability to remain on the job? Pulling in Lashlee and T Rob indicates the brand/opportunity are still very good and Manny was able to leverage those things into hiring good coaches. You would think he could do the same with the DC unless it was one of the issues stated above.

We need to dig!

Something happened. Someone agreed to join the D (or similar) and backed out at the last minute or something else happened. It wasn't suppose to end with Baker and Patke staying on board with a simply re-assignment of Baker's duties and Manny calling plays. If so, they would have done so sooner; you don't wait 3-4 weeks to announce this horse crap. Manny was chasing something bigger and failed.

And people knew it and thought he had it in hand. After T Rob was hired, Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press tweeted that T Rob's hiring was the first of "multiple new hires". Here's the tweet below. This tweet express means that there would be more than one new hire (that is, two or more). We only hired Jess Simpson.

It will come out, of that I am certain. But what was it? What happened?

Later the same day, Reynolds counseled patience, indicating that we only needed to let the ink dry, which means the deal was done.

He also tweeted the following GIF, expressing delight with the multiple new hires.

Kevin Steele? But he got a better deal at UT knowing he could be a HC in waiting or HC in coup d'etat.

All I know is if you'd ask me 4 years ago if I'd be ok with Lashlee as OC and Manolo as DC and D. King at QB, I'd have been A-Ok with it. Not sure what the problem is now, but let's roll! GO CANES!!!
Do you realize Manny’s defense relies on the DL penetrating and creating havoc? This is the weakest DL we’ve had since Manny has been here. The defense will definitely slightly improve, but it won’t be enough imo. The worst unit on the team last year (LB) we retained the coach!! The coaching is **** poor.

Advertisement
I'm thinking we got out-bid for Kevin Steele, and there weren't any home-run hires that Diaz could've made that he felt would mesh well.
Steele got a promotion imo with the soon to be Tenn HC job. it was reported on a pod that he was waiting on that situation and fulmer went against the hiring freeze that he put on Pruitt to bring Steele

I have alway heard that Muschamp recruited very negatively against Miami when he recruited Fla.
also Muschamp is huge Alpha coach.... could CMD handle Muschamp ??
FWIW, Urban has been talking to staff candidates for a good period of time as well
did something go wrong , maybe not sure Muschamp was in the mix

Do you realize Manny’s defense relies on the DL penetrating and creating havoc? This is the weakest DL we’ve had since Manny has been here. The defense will definitely slightly improve, but it won’t be enough imo. The worst unit on the team last year (LB) we retained the coach!! The coaching is **** poor.
agree although both Phillips and Roche will go high in draft, i don't think they ever set the edge take a look at wide rush patterns in NC game that only further exposed an awful LB unit

Advertisement
agree although both Phillips and Roche will go high in draft, i don't think they ever set the edge take a look at wide rush patterns in NC game that only further exposed an awful LB unit

our best line play was under simpson imo. it sucks that team had so bad of an offense that we couldn't take advantage of that d overall

I have alway heard that Muschamp recruited very negatively against Miami when he recruited Fla.
also Muschamp is huge Alpha coach.... could CMD handle Muschamp ??
FWIW, Urban has been talking to staff candidates for a good period of time as well
did something go wrong , maybe not sure Muschamp was in the mix

he did from what i heard too (at least stories)

from what jay said and other stuff ive seen, champ turned down UT, Mich and was contemplating a possible NFL DC job w jax (if it came up) or returning to UGA as an analyst while his son is on the team. in reality, if he turned down texas and Michigan, i cant imagine him saying sure ill go to miami to be a dc for what would likely be less money

If Manny was big game hunting and just didn't bag the right target, I won't fault him for that. Agree you don't want to hire a B to replace a C, you wait for the next shot at the Alpha. If that's the case, he better continue hunting even after his public announcement. We can't lose 2021 to a failed org structure. Hopefully the situation is temporary, and we have a real DC in the fold before kickoff against Bama.

Advertisement
Back