Something Went Wrong with the D Hires

your desire to attribute rational thinking to the MiamI program is your main problem. And only a gutless coach admits (supposedly) his dc isn’t good enough, looks around, then still retains him in the same role. Manny’s problem is he doesn’t want his defense, and it’s reputation, to be tarnished by baker...but if he fires him, he’s admitting he made another bad hire and his only protege sucks. Manny also needs someone to fire, or replace, next year to buy him more time
final choices need to be analyzed in the context of all choices that were available. retaining baker, in my opinion, was the least likely choice. i believe manny would have ditched baker et al IF HE COULD HAVE.

you dont think so, but you dont explain why it took a month to get the same place we were the day after the season ended, except for manny calling plays. i dont' know but the clues suggest he was attempting to land a DC and maybe one other. why didn't he? why couldn't he?

Advertisement
I don't think many coaches want to work with a coach on the hot seat or tbh at Miami in general... Our fan base turns on coaches within a year and expects a dominant Top 20 defense every season and if it doesn't happen then they are ready to fly the banners. Just a lot of better jobs out there that offer long term stability.

....Our fan base turns on coaches within a year....
I disagree. I am one of the ones that turns on our coaches. Here’s the reason, and I’ve been consistent in this. Every new coach has given the first year to f*** up. The second year is where there needed to be an improvement over the first. That has been shaky, with some ups and downs. Then comes the third year where it’s either more of the same second year s***, or regression to either the first year or worse. It looks different in the third year, but it’s deceiving as the quality of losses and wins are as bad or worse that the first year. That’s where I go nuts.

I disagree. I am one of the ones that turns on our coaches. Here’s the reason, and I’ve been consistent in this. Every new coach has given the first year to f*** up. The second year is where there needed to be an improvement over the first. That has been shaky, with some ups and downs. Then comes the third year where it’s either more of the same second year s***, or regression to either the first year or worse. It looks different in the third year, but it’s deceiving as the quality of losses and wins are as bad or worse that the first year. That’s where I go nuts.

I agree .... can we, for once hire an HC without family members or BFFs on his staff? These clowns need to realize that their coddling of their BFFs affect lives of scores of players who come to the U trusting their future success to this program's excellence.
It is brutal to have to go through this nonsense over and over again.

Maybe we should go with a football GM model with offensive and defensive co-HCs . Your side of the team screws up, you are out. It is not fair to the rest of the team to be dragged down by your continued ***** ups.

Head Coaches and assistants are too close day to day, to objectively assess their assistants. This nonsense of not replacing coordinators after ******** up by epic proportions is ridiculous.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we got out-bid for Kevin Steele, and there weren't any home-run hires that Diaz could've made that he felt would mesh well.
I think he tried to keep his d. It shouldn't be that hard to get a d coordinator if they're able to do what they want.

Advertisement
Lol the fact that alot of y'all think TRob got blindsided or something. Dude...... That grown man sat down with Manny and talked over ALL possibilities and agreed to it. Y'all don't think he knew of everything before we or any reporter found out? And stop worrying about his position. He's coaching the WHOLE DB room with DVD as the under-study. It's literally that simple. Sheeeeh you guys overthink EVERYTHING.

Now... What I would agree on is that Manny wanted Strong as our DC but Urban just simply offered more money and a better opportunity.
This, LB coach in the NFL in area he’s very familiar with, or DC/LB and have to recruit his *** off all year.

I’d have taken the simpler job with a coach I have a good relationship with versus three times the tougher job with someone I haven’t worked with before.

We can be ****ed at Manny for some things but you can’t blame him for not landing Strong with Urban going to Jax.

We offered Strong last year and he said no as well, maybe he just don’t want Coral Gables in any capacity.

People turned on baker last year... Tons of people in this group were ready to fire him

Advertisement
This, LB coach in the NFL in area he’s very familiar with, or DC/LB and have to recruit his *** off all year.

I’d have taken the simpler job with a coach I have a good relationship with versus three times the tougher job with someone I haven’t worked with before.

We can be ****ed at Manny for some things but you can’t blame him for not landing Strong with Urban going to Jax.

We offered Strong last year and he said no as well, maybe he just don’t want Coral Gables in any capacity.
Exactly. Strong made the better decision. I will admit I, as everyone else, wanted an official DC.... But at the same time, I commend Manny for putting it all on himself now. THIS season will literally be his "prove it" yr. Like I said before, it's not what we wanted BUT I rather have Manny call plays than Baker. A little improvement is still an improvement. We shall see.

Cartel $$$ didn't come through. Manny had to hire on the cheap.
He could've called me....I'd of helped out....
138039218_1206969016364455_1128237406798234635_n.jpg

final choices need to be analyzed in the context of all choices that were available. retaining baker, in my opinion, was the least likely choice. i believe manny would have ditched baker et al IF HE COULD HAVE.

you dont think so, but you dont explain why it took a month to get the same place we were the day after the season ended, except for manny calling plays. i dont' know but the clues suggest he was attempting to land a DC and maybe one other. why didn't he? why couldn't he?
Why couldn’t manny have replaced baker? hes the hc and there are dozens of better dcs than baker that would come here. The problem with most of those dcs is they wont be manny’s pet dc like baker is, so that’s why manny “couldn’t“ land anyone, if he did try. They also probably want to hire their own staff. My guess is it took a month to let the fan base cool off after the last two defensive collapses, and because manny wanted to create the illusion that he tried to make improvements. Why did it take a month to have dvd and rumph change positions?

Advertisement
Manny clearly swung and missed on his top DC target(s). It's also likely that both of these targets while unconfirmed for unknown reasons (maybe they were eyeing the NFL and told Manny he had to wait another week or so) signed off on the T-Rob hire and T-Rob was fine working under these candidates.

Once the A-list DCs were no longer viable, Manny was left with two choices - fire Baker and hire somebody on his "B" list or come up with an interim solution. Both are risky and less than optimal. The former option means Manny would hire a coach that he likely believes employs an inferior scheme and many not mesh with T-Rob. The second option - well I don't need to rehash everything that has been said for the last two days but is considered a massive FAIL in the eyes of the fans and most knowledgeable fans.

IMHO, Manny chose the second option and bet on himself to right the ship for 2021. Manny believes this is his BEST option to win next year. However, this is nothing more than an interim solution. Manny is betting his D closely managed by him and not Baker is good enough to buy him the remaining years of his contract. Also, it gives Manny more time to attract DCs who can improve our performance long-term. It also gives Baker time to find another job. He knows Baker's currently defined role is ridiculous and that ultimately Baker must go. Manny is smart and he knows this current arrangement cannot be a permanent solution for the D. It's unsustainable.

The problem with Manny's plan is that he is jeopardizing his career as HC at Miami. He is unlikely to get another year or an extension if he craps the bed with 4 or more losses or 1 or 2 "bad" (embarrassing) losses.

Time will tell if it works.

you gusy wondering what happened to the D candidates (even possible names)? theyre clearly waiting on urban. chris ash who was reported to be going to UF is now going to jacksonville w urban. strong is taking the LB coach position w the jags.

Advertisement
Manny clearly swung and missed on his top DC target(s). It's also likely that both of these targets while unconfirmed for unknown reasons (maybe they were eyeing the NFL and told Manny he had to wait another week or so) signed off on the T-Rob hire and T-Rob was fine working under these candidates.

Once the A-list DCs were no longer viable, Manny was left with two choices - fire Baker and hire somebody on his "B" list or come up with an interim solution. Both are risky and less than optimal. The former option means Manny would hire a coach that he likely believes employs an inferior scheme and many not mesh with T-Rob. The second option - well I don't need to rehash everything that has been said for the last two days but is considered a massive FAIL in the eyes of the fans and most knowledgeable fans.

IMHO, Manny chose the second option and bet on himself to right the ship for 2021. Manny believes this is his BEST option to win next year. However, this is nothing more than an interim solution. Manny is betting his D closely managed by him and not Baker is good enough to buy him the remaining years of his contract. Also, it gives Manny more time to attract DCs who can improve our performance long-term. It also gives Baker time to find another job. He knows Baker's currently defined role is ridiculous and that ultimately Baker must go. Manny is smart and he knows this current arrangement cannot be a permanent solution for the D. It's unsustainable.

The problem with Manny's plan is that he is jeopardizing his career as HC at Miami. He is unlikely to get another year or an extension if he craps the bed with 4 or more losses or 1 or 2 "bad" (embarrassing) losses.

Time will tell if it works.

as cribs said -- this is the ultimate pressure cooker move by manny. he is now solely responsible for the success or failure of the defense. it will speed up any decision making that needs to be done in the event it does not work out. its a win win. i do like the DL and DB coaching moves. meh on patke (thought he did well w the strikers but didnt think he needed to be fired just dont think hes irreplaceable) and barf on baker (but who knows he was a successful at the g5 level, maybe just focusing on LBs and now defensive game planning and play calling will allow him to find some success with LBs (prolly not but who knows)). at the end of the day, whether or not manny works out, i just hope he leaves enough of a recruiting class for the next guy.

I don't think many coaches want to work with a coach on the hot seat or tbh at Miami in general... Our fan base turns on coaches within a year and expects a dominant Top 20 defense every season and if it doesn't happen then they are ready to fly the banners. Just a lot of better jobs out there that offer long term stability.
You think big time coaches are worried about Twitter and message board fans at Miami? Miami is a stable job because the administration is extremely hesitant to fire coaches who can deliver average results. This is way off base, as demonstrated by the last two decades of the history of this program.

based on the names that were rumored, it seems like a ton were waiting on urban meyer. if you see the confirmed names, it looks like hes pulling a ton of defensive guys from college.

based on the names that were rumored, it seems like a ton were waiting on urban meyer. if you see the confirmed names, it looks like hes pulling a ton of defensive guys from college.
Agree. Teams still waiting to fill out spots. Between Urban and the Jags AND the playoffs.....

Advertisement
Back