Someone please tell me...

Someone please tell me ...

That an actual football fan is surprised when a power five team schedules a cupcake. Because that never happens at Alabama or any of the big programs.

The other posters right, as a cupcake temple is a lot better than BCC

It's not about scheduling a cupcake. It's about the home-and-home aspect of it.

No reason to travel to a non-Power 5 school.

What are we the gaytors?

This has nothing to do with being afraid to leave the state like them OOC, or being scared of losing to a group of 5 team.

Do you see other major power 5 schools like Bama, USCw or Michigan going to group of 5 schools?

No. You don't. In fact, you normally don't see Ohio State, Tennessee, Penn State, or any of the other schools that make $5+ million dollars a home game do it either. Huh. What an amazingly astute observation.

But i'm waiting for you to explain how Miami, a private school playing in a leased stadium, can pay the going rate of hosting a non-power 5 school, and still make money.
Can you explain that last part? Asking seriously.

Advertisement
For the last time, both Penn State and Notre Dame have recently played at Temple, in addition to Louisville, and as well as UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. All at Temple.

Could there possibly be any more stupid on this thread? I don't know, I think we've exhausted all the stupidity there is about this topic. But I bet somebody else will chime in with another stupid post.

Look, not going to start an arguement over this cause I'm not trying to convince you of anything...but I'll leave it at this..

Penn state played at temple in Franklins second year there, the same way we're playing Ark state in Richts second year here..those schedules were done before both programs current coaches were hired and the teams had any sort of momentum..

Remember when penn scheduled temple they were down from all the Sandusky stuff...but I bet with the momentum they have now, they won't be agreeing to any H&H with any G5 teams..

ND is independent so they just have to fill their schedule one way of the other..

USF, UCF and Cincy should never be mentioned in the same paragraph as Miami...

The mental and verbal gymnastics people perform when they're presented with irrefutable facts is astonishing.

Penn State was playing Temple at home before the scandal. There goes that theory that you pulled out of your rear end.

What about Louisville?

And that Notre Dame excuse about as lame as it could be.

Like I said, ridiculous mental gymnastics

It's not about scheduling a cupcake. It's about the home-and-home aspect of it.

No reason to travel to a non-Power 5 school.

What are we the gaytors?

This has nothing to do with being afraid to leave the state like them OOC, or being scared of losing to a group of 5 team.

Do you see other major power 5 schools like Bama, USCw or Michigan going to group of 5 schools?

No. You don't. In fact, you normally don't see Ohio State, Tennessee, Penn State, or any of the other schools that make $5+ million dollars a home game do it either. Huh. What an amazingly astute observation.

But i'm waiting for you to explain how Miami, a private school playing in a leased stadium, can pay the going rate of hosting a non-power 5 school, and still make money.

Sure: They can't.

And that's why the home and homes against Arky State, Toledo, etc. In fact, we've had Memphis and Rutgers buy us out of home and home agreements in the last decade, or else we would've played a few more.

The going rate for a single game (non return) for both non-power 5 FBS and FCS teams has been going up for years. Even our games against Bethune or FAMU have been slowly going up in cost, where once we'd have to pay them less than half a mill, they're now often more than that, and that's with them saving on travel costs. As far as FBS teams, we simply can't afford paying one a mill and a half to come play at Hard Rock. Hence the home and home deals.

In fact, we've been doing this for over a decade; we've had home and homes with- Cincinnati, USF, UCF, FAU, and App State.

We actually have been hurt by bad agreements (where the series can be bought out cheaply, leaving us scrambling for a replacement), conference re-alignment (some of the TV deals of the non-power 5 conferences stipulate that they can't play too many paycheck games and need to try to host power-5 teams), and a lack of leverage (we're not nearly as flush with cash as other schools, plus we lease, rather than own, the stadium we play in). Where the schedules of lots of schools are planned out in full 4-5 years in advance, ours is still very much a work in progress, which severely limits the pool of teams we can look at to schedule these home and homes.

Anyway, this **** has been going on for years, and every time one of these home and homes is announced, the same kind of thread results. Needs to be a sticky called: 'why we have to play at Toledo.'

Last edited:
What he said. I would've thought most people knew this.

It's amazing what people don't know, and then spew like they've got all the answers.

I can understand the dislike of being at teams like Arkansas State, I think teams like Cincinnati or Temple "look" better, but either way, we are forced to play it this way now.

If you're Alabama or most other SEC teams, you only have 4 away games and 8 home games (or 7 and one neutral site).

Let that sink in and you'll see why the total revenue of just about every SEC team is so much higher than Miami's.

Advertisement
When are yall going to stop being surprised that we are willing to travel to these ****** schools rather than pay them Hundred of thousands to a million to come to us.
The best we can hope is that Blake James sets up the schedule well enough that we always have at least 2 home NonCon games.
If some years we have 2 home games, 1 neutral site vs a good school, and 1 away vs a crap school, I'm perfectly fine with that.

It's amazing what people don't know, and then spew like they've got all the answers.

I can understand the dislike of being at teams like Arkansas State, I think teams like Cincinnati or Temple "look" better, but either way, we are forced to play it this way now.

If you're Alabama or most other SEC teams, you only have 4 away games and 8 home games (or 7 and one neutral site).

Let that sink in and you'll see why the total revenue of just about every SEC team is so much higher than Miami's.

Oh shut the **** up with your condescending bull****. In none of your posts did you make the point [MENTION=1475]SevenNSeven[/MENTION] did. Had you made a logical argument like he did this thread wouldn't have gone this far. Instead you stuck to your stupid arguments of, "other schools go to Temple so it's not bad if Miami does it too" and, "Temple is a far superior program than Toledo and Arkansas State." Nowhere did you make the logical argument that financially Miami can't continuously pay cupcakes to come to Sun Life year after year. That I can understand and not disagree with. But your "far superior" comment about Temple in comparison to Toledo and Arkansas State like it's not a historical punching bag is no cause for you to beat your chest like you made any valid points.

Oh shut the **** up with your condescending bull****. In none of your posts did you make the point [MENTION=1475]SevenNSeven[/MENTION] did. Had you made a logical argument like he did this thread wouldn't have gone this far. Instead you stuck to your stupid arguments of, "other schools go to Temple so it's not bad if Miami does it too" and, "Temple is a far superior program than Toledo and Arkansas State." Nowhere did you make the logical argument that financially Miami can't continuously pay cupcakes to come to Sun Life year after year. That I can understand and not disagree with. But your "far superior" comment about Temple in comparison to Toledo and Arkansas State like it's not a historical punching bag is no cause for you to beat your chest like you made any valid points.

Only a dīckbag like you would use your own laughable ignorance to try to win an argument and make a point.

And only a total ****** of a fan would not know or understand the simple financials of having to play a non-P5 away schedule for a team like Miami. The argument was about "why Temple away". Any fan with half a fūcking brain understands why we only play 6 (7 this year for the first time in forever), and why we play teams like BC, or FAMU at home so many times.

Congratulations on outing yourself as the dunce canes fan.

When are yall going to stop being surprised that we are willing to travel to these ****** schools rather than pay them Hundred of thousands to a million to come to us.
The best we can hope is that Blake James sets up the schedule well enough that we always have at least 2 home NonCon games.
If some years we have 2 home games, 1 neutral site vs a good school, and 1 away vs a crap school, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Yup. It's not just us, it's 90% of college football. And, it's not hundreds of thousands any more, it's well over a million. It's sometimes over half a mill just to get a FCS team.

Take this for example, Charlotte just took its football team FBS within the last couple years, they play in a dinky stadium that seats 15K, but they already have home & home deals set up with Duke, Maryland, and North Carolina. The one paycheck game they play with an ACC team? @ Clemson. What does UNC, Duke, and Maryland get out of playing @ Charlotte? Cheap travel, mostly.

If you think back to the debate about playing 8 conference games vs 9 last year, you might remember hearing that Miami was probably one of the strongest supporters of playing 9 conference games. This would basically allow an extra conference home game every other year. There was a reason for that: it's difficult for UM, considering travel expenses, plus leasing a stadium as opposed to keeping all revenue from parking, concessions, and gate, to compete. Because of this, we are more in the boat of a team like UNC or Duke, than Clemson, even if we put more butts in the seats at our home games.

There was hope for awhile, with mid-level revenue power-5 teams, that you might be able to get 2 for 1 deals, like the one we had with FAU, but, with the TV rights deals being in the hands of conferences, who don't want their member schools playing 7 or 8 road games where they don't have TV rights, it's gotten incredibly expensive to schedule a team without a return game. There's probably less than two dozen schools in college football that can afford to do it, and we're not one of them.

Anyway, can everyone who reads this help kill the narrative that we schedule home and homes with Arky god**** State and go play in places like Boone NC out of some sort of perverse choice or incompetence? I'm tired of the redundant b----ing every time one of these series is announced. Either that, or there needs to be a sticky.

Last edited:
Advertisement
LOL, I went to the Temple game in 2005 at the Eagles stadium. There was like 5,000 people there...

What are we the gaytors?

Sure: They can't.

And that's why the home and homes against Arky State, Toledo, etc. In fact, we've had Memphis and Rutgers buy us out of home and home agreements in the last decade, or else we would've played a few more.

The going rate for a single game (non return) for both non-power 5 FBS and FCS teams has been going up for years. Even our games against Bethune or FAMU have been slowly going up in cost, where once we'd have to pay them less than half a mill, they're now more than that, and that's with them saving on travel costs. As far as FBS teams, we simply can't afford paying one a few million to come play at Hard Rock. Hence the home and home deals.

In fact, we've been doing this for over a decade; we've had home and homes with- Cincinnati, USF, UCF, FAU, and App State.

We actually have been hurt by bad agreements (where the series can be bought out cheaply, leaving us scrambling for a replacement), conference re-alignment (some of the TV deals of the non-power 5 conferences stipulate that they can't play too many paycheck games and need to try to host power-5 teams), and a lack of leverage (we're not nearly as flush with cash as other schools, plus we lease, rather than own, the stadium we play in). Where the schedules of lots of schools are planned out in full 4-5 years in advance, ours is still very much a work in progress, which severely limits the pool of teams we can look at to schedule these home and homes.

Anyway, this **** has been going on for years, and every time one of these home and homes is announced, the same kind of thread results. Needs to be a sticky called: 'why we have to play at Toledo.'
I'm definitely guilty of ing about our schedule but I definitely appreciate you breaking that down.

Thanks.

Advertisement
As a Temple alum, I was at the Temple - ND game in 2015. Gameday was there and Independence Hall was packed. The game atmosphere was even better. ND brought a ton of douchey support (no surprise) but it was surprising to see how many Temple fans were actually at the game. The game itself was competitive and came down to the end. **** of a time.

A lot will change between now and the time we actually play this game but I see nothing wrong with this. Temple has changed its perception in the national landscape and are somewhat respected these days. The recruiting grounds of PA/NJ are extremely fertile. I am looking for to making a trip back to Philly but this time I'll be rooting for the team playing against Temple!

Gameday in Philly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaUrx3e4l4

Temple vs Notre Dame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-a2z1qfiVk

Last edited:
Couple of reasons for scheduling a home/home with Temple.

1) As previously stated, Miami doesn't turn a large profit from home games against lower level teams because turnout is usually pretty poor. Instead of forking over $500K+ to some sacrificial lamb, they get Temple to come here for free. With more consistent attendance, they might be able to get away from this sort of scheduling but in reality, Miami's attendance has always been spotty, even during the best years.

2) There's a lot of high dollar Miami alumni in the northeast and the athletic department like to throw them a bone from time to time. Especially since they no longer play Temple, Rutgers, Syracuse or Boston College every year like they did in the Big East. Philly is a short trip from New York/New Jersey/ Connecticut.

Right now money shouldn't be the reason for us to make these kinds of moves and neither is pleasing a few alumni from the North East.

Perception is everything right now (especially after golden and Shannon). These moves make the program look small like when we were under those two terrible coaches. 3 if you count Coker.

I understand that Ark state and App state were scheduled before Richt so whatever. But no need to make this deal with a real coach at the wheel who happens to have the #1 recruiting class in the country and moving us towards the path of righteousness.

You're vastly underrating the importance of money. Money is the reason college football exists.

The unfortunate facts are that Miami ends up losing money when they have to pay some cupcake school to come to Hard Rock and lose in front of 35,000 people. At least this way, Temple will come to Hard Rock and lose in front of 35,000 fans for free. Plus I'd rather play an AAC school like Temple (who's been a solid program for a few years now) than some FCS team that kills strength of schedule.

Secondly, you're vastly underestimating the number of alumni in the Northeast. These aren't just a bunch of young kids, right out of school either. There's a lot of booster money up there that UM needs to pay for things like the IPF and our talented coaching staff. It's not like UM is some regular state school with tens of thousands of local alumni. They're very interested in scheduling games up north specifically for this reason. Remember how desperate they were to get into the Pinstripe Bowl? It's not because they think the local fans want to visit New York.

Advertisement
Originalcanescanes, do you go around in real life calling people who have a different opinion, **** bags and retards? I hope not bud cause you wouldn't last at a job for one day. Not saying that those names were directed at me, or that they're not funny, but it's really not that serious. Calm the **** down man lol.

I really don't care what PED state does. Playing a G5 school on the road is a bad look. Especially when they're not down the road or even in the same state as you.

This **** makes us look like a JV team. But yay we saved a couple of dollars! That worked out well for us in the past.

Originalcanescanes, do you go around in real life calling people who have a different opinion, **** bags and retards? I hope not bud cause you wouldn't last at a job for one day. Not saying that those names were directed at me, or that they're not funny, but it's really not that serious. Calm the **** down man lol.

I really don't care what PED state does. Playing a G5 school on the road is a bad look. Especially when they're not down the road or even in the same state as you.

This **** makes us look like a JV team. But yay we saved a couple of dollars! That worked out well for us in the past.

i agreed with your appeal for civility until i read to the end of your post where you proceeded to act like a bag of ****s

For the last time, both Penn State and Notre Dame have recently played at Temple, in addition to Louisville, and as well as UCF, USF, and Cincinnati. All at Temple.

Could there possibly be any more stupid on this thread? I don't know, I think we've exhausted all the stupidity there is about this topic. But I bet somebody else will chime in with another stupid post.

Yeah but Alabaga doesn't do it. We have to do everything they do or else we're Bush League. We have the exact same financial arrangement with our home stadium that Alabaga has.

Advertisement
Back