Some Ungodly talent.....

Yes, there are college players who enter the NFL and excel out of the gate. Most don’t, even 1st rounders. The OL that DL Walker, Hutchington, and Thibbs start practicing and playing against are better than anyone they’ve ever played against. Even the best rookies often hit a wall. Even the best remark how difficult the NFL is, day in, day out.

Of course, we’re talking a single game.

Coaching will also matter.

The Jags were a mess with Meyer, so there’s that factor.

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, I was just reflecting on some realities of the NFL. Some NFL teams, particularly those as bad as Jax or Detroit, have to assemble OL and DL lines out of free agents who have not had years to play together and gel. QBs and WRs who may not be in synch. Secondary coverages which might involve poor communications.

That's all. You are right, people are quick to the old "this great college team could beat some NFL teams" comparison, but there are a lot of variables involved.

I just think that some college powerhouse teams (like Bama and UGa last year) are capable of beating some of the worst NFL teams in any given year. Beating the Chiefs or the Bucs? Nope.

Advertisement
Yeah, and I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, I was just reflecting on some realities of the NFL. Some NFL teams, particularly those as bad as Jax or Detroit, have to assemble OL and DL lines out of free agents who have not had years to play together and gel. QBs and WRs who may not be in synch. Secondary coverages which might involve poor communications.

That's all. You are right, people are quick to the old "this great college team could beat some NFL teams" comparison, but there are a lot of variables involved.

I just think that some college powerhouse teams (like Bama and UGa last year) are capable of beating some of the worst NFL teams in any given year. Beating the Chiefs or the Bucs? Nope.
All good. Fun conversation.

I would agree a college powerhouse could be respectable against a bad NFL team, especially if the NFL team didn’t take the game serious and the factors that made them a bad team spilled into the game.

The ball bounces funny, too.

Advertisement
Lmao. You don’t know ****.

Handicappers are never wrong. And you are always right with your predictions.

Advertisement
I think it would depend on how serious the NFL team took the game. Last year’s Jags beat UGA, Alabama, easily.

UGA and Bama’s two-deep had some players with NFL potential. The Jags were all NFL players.
Personally I've always disagreed on that one. 100% certain college teams could beat certain NFL teams. Now if you're talking the best in college opposed to the best in the NFL that's a blowout loss for college every single time. But put the best in college on their best day against the worst or even the bottom tier of the NFL and they have a **** good chance. People think just cause you make the NFL it means you were dominant in college etc. It's not the case. Plenty of dudes make the league who (as um fans for the last 20 years y'all should know)who did absolutely nothing for various reasons in college. If you're talking about a team stacked with early round talent, lottery type talent, it'll be a **** good game for the college side.

Personally I've always disagreed on that one. 100% certain college teams could beat certain NFL teams. Now if you're talking the best in college opposed to the best in the NFL that's a blowout loss for college every single time. But put the best in college on their best day against the worst or even the bottom tier of the NFL and they have a **** good chance. People think just cause you make the NFL it means you were dominant in college etc. It's not the case. Plenty of dudes make the league who (as um fans for the last 20 years y'all should know)who did absolutely nothing for various reasons in college. If you're talking about a team stacked with early round talent, lottery type talent, it'll be a **** good game for the college side.
I don’t disagree, but a lot would have to fall into place for a dominant college team to beat a bad NFL. A bad NFL team is bad by NFL standards. The Jags, even with Meyer still as HC, beat Buffalo, a legit SB contender.

I think NFL coaching and player experience would be extremely difficult for any college team to beat. Especially if the NFL team is motivated.

Advertisement

Yeah, I'm tired of arguing against dopey "but the handicappers say" claims. The role of Vegas handicappers is to equalize the betting money, NOT to determine "this team is X points better than the other team".

The fact remains, so many people BELIEVE that the college team would have no chance, that is the precise REASON why the betting spread would be so high at first. But if you had a Bama or UGa come out and beat an NFL team once or twice, those point spreads would shrink like Go Canes' ***** shrank last September when Manny lost a bunch of games.

Last year's UGa team was absolutely capable of beating a few NFL teams, particularly the Jaguars. Not to mention the fact that Sunshine was only one year removed from playing for Clemson. Come on now, how hard is it to envision the Urban Meyer Jags losing to a college team? Not difficult at all.

Yeah, I'm tired of arguing against dopey "but the handicappers say" claims. The role of Vegas handicappers is to equalize the betting money, NOT to determine "this team is X points better than the other team".

The fact remains, so many people BELIEVE that the college team would have no chance, that is the precise REASON why the betting spread would be so high at first. But if you had a Bama or UGa come out and beat an NFL team once or twice, those point spreads would shrink like Go Canes' ***** shrank last September when Manny lost a bunch of games.

Last year's UGa team was absolutely capable of beating a few NFL teams, particularly the Jaguars. Not to mention the fact that Sunshine was only one year removed from playing for Clemson. Come on now, how hard is it to envision the Urban Meyer Jags losing to a college team? Not difficult at all.

Remember the Titans reference: A+

Advertisement
Disagree. Even the worst NFL teams are loaded with the better talent from college. Worst NFL teams would beat the Best College team for that fact. Plus the best college team doesn't necessarily have NFL ready caliber QB. Also the variation of defensive plays and offensive checks would confuse college players who have limited practices and backup talent. IMO

Disagree. Even the worst NFL teams are loaded with the better talent from college. Worst NFL teams would beat the Best College team for that fact. Plus the best college team doesn't necessarily have NFL ready caliber QB. Also the variation of defensive plays and offensive checks would confuse college players who have limited practices and backup talent. IMO
That's not at all true the worst teams are loaded with the better talent from college. They obviously have their share and I'm not speaking about all college teams or yearly or anything. From playing for multiple years in the league I'd watch on a regular and think we woulda gave these people a run for their money or this year's team etc would've gave them a run. Without question it can happen. Not on a normal basis but to dismiss it doesn't make sense. Just my opinion as well.

2001 12-0 NC Miami Hurricanes vs. 2001 1-15 NFL Carolina Panthers. Play in late January 2002, three weeks after the Rose Bowl and the end of the NFL regular season (January 6th). Carolina was 1-15, but 7 losses were by less than a TD, one of those a 38-32 Week 13 loss at home to NFC Champion St. Louis Rams.

Ironically, Carolina had LB Dan Morgan and FSU QB Chris Weinke starting by the end of the season. Morgan probably walked in and started.

Canes should give the Panthers a game. Canes had a few players who turned pro after the season and excelled in the NFL right out of the gate. Portis, Reed, Shockey.

Larry Coker has to out-coach George Seifert. Reduces the odds.

Ed Reed picks off Weinke for old time’s sake. At least once.

2001 12-0 NC Miami Hurricanes vs. 2001 1-15 NFL Carolina Panthers. Play in late January 2002, three weeks after the Rose Bowl and the end of the NFL regular season (January 6th). Carolina was 1-15, but 7 losses were by less than a TD, one of those a 38-32 Week 13 loss at home to NFC Champion St. Louis Rams.

Ironically, Carolina had LB Dan Morgan and FSU QB Chris Weinke starting by the end of the season. Morgan probably walked in and started.

Canes should give the Panthers a game. Canes had a few players who turned pro after the season and excelled in the NFL right out of the gate. Portis, Reed, Shockey.

Larry Coker has to out-coach George Seifert. Reduces the odds.

Ed Reed picks off Weinke for old time’s sake. At least once.
And Morgan switches jerseys after halftime and plants Weinke in the turf for old time’s sake.

Advertisement
Back